"TedStriker" Where are you? - Ping Plugin

Does anyone know what happened to TedStriker? He hasn’t been active on this forum since April 15, 2010. I hope he’s o’kay and that he hasn’t dropped Vera. I also sent him a PM to see if he would be willing to update the Ping Plugin for UI4, to clean it up and to get the “Bypass” feature working. Unfortunately, I really suck at this programming Lua bit so I’m incapable of doing this myself.

That would be really great, the plugin and the idea is awesome! I currently use the Ping Plugin that’s available even with the bugs to initiate a WOL. e.g. When my PS3 is turned on it sends a WOL packet to my Media Server.

Hi iflyM3,

Just search the forum , and there is somewhere a update for the ping sensor.
Just add 1 line extra and will work.

I will try to find it for you.
Marco

Yes, the Lua lines are:

urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:MotionSensor:1
D_MotionSensor1.json

I’ve added this too so that I can use this in my initiate server scene, if you search the forum you’ll also see a lot about the bugs of the plugin to where the “Bypass” feature doesn’t work. I can confirm this as well. I wish that I was good at this Lua stuff because I would love to update this nifty and very useful plugin.

The “Bypass” Feature still doesn’t work within the GUI of UI4 for Vera2. Strange thing is, tho. It does work through the Mobile App. If someone could explain that one to me I’d surely like to know why. LOL! Why does the “Bypass” feature work through the mobile app but not through the GUI of UI4? lol.

quote from [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=4943.0]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=4943.0[/url]

[sup]I modifed the D_PingSensor.xml.
I added after the devicetype :

D_MotionSensor1.json

Adding this line enables the device to be selected when creating a scene.
Hope that works out for you too.
Tested this evening; works perfect! When I come home in the evening with my iPad; my home welcomes
me with turning on the lights:) Cheaper then a motion sensor (taken into account you already have an iphone/ipad [/sup]

Hi ,

We use the ping sensor for awareness in the office.

Is a computer turn on , the printers and heating will follow.
Is there no computer running for a hour the heating and printers will go off

Is my Gsm near the house it will receive a IP nr and will be pingeble , the scene will trigger the light in to the hallway ( coming home)

Till so fair everything is working as we expected

Marco

hmmm… what UI and Vera are you using? Just curious.

For the most part the plugin works great and it’s a really awesome idea. I just can’t seem to get the “Bypass” button feature to work within the GUI of UI4. I can modify the “armed” state under the advance tab and that works fine. When I press the bypass button within the GUI, I get a “Delivery Failed” message.

vera 2 is running on beta 1.1.1230.

But on the previous versions is also worked.
I do nothing with the bypass mode , just install and create a scene to trigger something

Cool. Oh, well it was worth a shot to see if TedStriker is still out there somewhere. lol.

I think that I am just going to match up the normal Motion Sensor xml file to the Ping Sensor xml file and see what’s so different between the two. The “bypass” button never worked for me in the GUI even preBeta .1234 with using .1883 and .1886, so I know it’s not a problem with .1234

Problem was solved here: [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=4791.0]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=4791.0[/url]

You must add action in section in file I_PingSensor.xml:

<action>
    <serviceId>urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SecuritySensor1</serviceId>
    <name>SetArmed</name>
    <run>
    luup.variable_set("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SecuritySensor1", "Armed", lul_settings.newArmedValue, lul_device)
    return 4, 0
    </run>
  </action> 

Although the bypass feature works in the UI, I believe this device is broken in the latest beta <1.1.1243 - 1.1.124X>
Will not trigger a scene when used as an event.
Can someone confirm this?

JOD.

@JOD,

It can still trigger a scene when I use it, I just tested it again to be sure. It has been working for me since I upgraded the Firmware too. I am using the normal Ping Sensor Plugin not the Invert one. Stupid question here I know, sry… Have you tried deleting the device and creating a new just to be sure?

I have a scene using the ping sensor plugin to ping my PS3’s and if it gets a reply back “Tripped” it sends a WOL Layer 2 Packet to my Media Server and turns it on. This way if the PS3’s are off and nobody is watching anything or if nobody is home then the Media Server isn’t always on wasting electricity.

However, I still have not been able to use the Arm and Bypass buttons within Vera’s dashboard. I always get “Delivery failed.” message all of the time. Even with making sure that the actionlist was modified, I tried two different variations modifying the actionlist and neither of which seems to work:

urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SecuritySensor1 SetArmed luup.variable_set("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SecuritySensor1", "Armed", lul_settings.newArmedValue, lul_device) return 4, 0

AND:

urn:demo-ted-striker:serviceId:PingSensor1 SetArmed luup.variable_set("urn:demo-ted-striker:serviceId:PingSensor1", "Armed", lul_settings.newArmedValue, lul_device) return 4, 0

I am going to continue to play with the actionlist and I’m going to change “lul_device” to “parentDevice” and see if that helps…

@iflyM3,

I tried the normal and inverted versions and both an armed sensor is tripped and A sensor (door/window/motion/etc.) is tripped with the same results. The device trips on discovering the IP but will not trigger as an event. I’ve deleted the device and created 4 additional with the same results.

Have you uploaded the revised I_PingSensor.xml that @zhouse posted 3 posts up?
When I uploaded it, the bypass function started working but it stopped working as a trigger.

I’ll double check by uploading the old I_PingSensor.xml and see if it starts working again but it will lose the bypass function.

*Edit. Just uploaded the old I_PingSensor.xml, lost the bypass function (actually it was in the bypass state already and now wont arm) but still will not trigger an event.

The I_PingSensor.xml dated:
9/19/09 wont allow changing arm / bypass
8/29/10 wont allow changing arm / bypass
4/29/11 does allow changing arm / bypass via the UI but it cannot be changed via a scene.

JOD.

Yes, I did download and upload the Implementation file that zhouse posted up. Still no dice. I can set the Armed and Bypass buttons within the MO app but not through Vera’s Dashboard or GUI, go figure. LOL. I don’t know if its just me or not, oh well. Were you able to get the scenes to be triggered? That’s a more important function.

No go with any of the I_PingSensor.xml’s for scene triggering although the arm/bypass does work through the UI, so I guess the ping sensor must need fixing again for this FW rev. Damn…

JOD.

hey, man… I did sincerely and with the utmost respect send Ap15e a PM seeing if he would be down to revise the Ping Sensor Plugin awhile back… Which was the main reason for this Post that I started. I was trying to see if TedStriker was still around, I sent TedStriker PM’s but no response. I think he ditched us. lol. :stuck_out_tongue:
I suck at Lua Scripting and I never made a plugin for Vera before or else I would do it myself and post it up. In time I hope to learn enough to where I can contribute to the community as well. It’s just going to take time.

IMHO, I think the issue is that these plugins become somewhat copyrighted to where other developers don’t want to step on toes by making fixes / changes.
The fact everything is open source should negate that thinking.
You’ll also notice a lot of other developer input at the beginning when a plugin is being created but then it becomes the original developers responsibility to maintain it. That’s why I posted this: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6280.0 to try to encourage MCV to take over the responsibility.

JOD.

Oh, yeah. I totally agree with you on that one. I know the Dev’s have a lot on their plate too, keeping up with all of their contributions/projects. Also knowing that they don’t get paid or reimbursed in a monetary sense by MCV. We all have our own lives and jobs to attend to as well.

I don’t know where you all find the time to do what you guys/gals do. lol. All I do know is that all of your hard work, contributions, and efforts are very, very appreciated and extremely welcomed.

The main reason why I bought Vera in the first place was because of how tight I noticed the community within this forum really is. I realized that there isn’t going to be much outright support from MCV themselves and with Vera being an open platform it really is this community that is going to be able to push Vera to its limitations and tap into what Vera can really do… both from the user’s coming up through the process and possibility of becoming developers themselves in the future, and the more senior developers that are developing projects pushing the boundaries of Vera.

It’s this tight nit community and the continuation of contributions always pushing the limitations that make Vera what it is and that make it enjoyable. :slight_smile:

I too, think that MCV should at some point take over responsibility as well. That would be nice. lol.

[quote=“JOD, post:12, topic:167979”]@iflyM3,

I tried the normal and inverted versions and both an armed sensor is tripped and A sensor (door/window/motion/etc.) is tripped with the same results. The device trips on discovering the IP but will not trigger as an event. I’ve deleted the device and created 4 additional with the same results.

Have you uploaded the revised I_PingSensor.xml that @zhouse posted 3 posts up?
When I uploaded it, the bypass function started working but it stopped working as a trigger.

I’ll double check by uploading the old I_PingSensor.xml and see if it starts working again but it will lose the bypass function.

*Edit. Just uploaded the old I_PingSensor.xml, lost the bypass function (actually it was in the bypass state already and now wont arm) but still will not trigger an event.

The I_PingSensor.xml dated:
9/19/09 wont allow changing arm / bypass
8/29/10 wont allow changing arm / bypass
4/29/11 does allow changing arm / bypass via the UI but it cannot be changed via a scene.

JOD.[/quote]

@JOD

I installed pingsensor version 1.4 “as is” today and my vera 2 @ 1.1.1245 UI4 does create the device, but i dont get the arm/bypassbuttons in the gui.

Running iVera 1.06 from my iPhone does show the buttons and the trigger state.

I have refrained from incorperating the function into any scene yet, as i thought (before checking iVera) that the device wasnt working properly under UI4.

Am i right to understand you have the same issue?

Regards,

Henk

@Henk

Within the D_PingSensor.xml file…

just add:
D_MotionSensor1.json

right below:

Just make sure that its within the D_PingSensor.xml file.

You’ll get the “arm” and “bypass” buttons to show up (you might have to save, and refresh Vera’s GUI a couple of times) and if you’re lucky you’ll be able to use them through the dashboard of Vera’s GUI. I haven’t been able to get the buttons to work, only through the mobile app for Vera does it work for me.

@iflyM3

Thanks, that actually worked after i re-injected the xml into vera
Now i see bypass and arm buttons.

I concur with you on your thought (dicussed with JOD) that some of the code should be cleaned up and be developed more by some savvy ppl.

Your suggestion to have Ap15e look at it might be good, or even Guessed could take a look since he seems to understand LUUP quite well.

For now, thanks again for the quicky update

Henk