Suggestion for Thermostat

I’ve decided to replace my Rheem “smart” thermostat with a Z-Wave unit and i’m looking for suggestions for the best unit.

My current system is what Rheem calls Comfort Control Plus and uses a “Smart” thermostat, “smart” in that it communicates with the air handler and compressor subsystems to report problems among themselves. But it has no external interface, just the wiring connecting the units together.

But I’d like to bring this under control of Vera. The system will support a standard thermostat and I’ve seen a few ZWave thermostats and some discussion on here about them but I don’t see a consensus.

Just as an aside, ultimately control will be integrated with a ImperiHome panel.

Any suggestions?

I love my Ecobee3… will be even better when the plugin is updated to support the remote sensors. Nice apps and browser interface, and does work with Imperihome.

For now, I don’t think Vera is the best option for controlling your thermostat. If you want actual programming you have to write the code yourself. I switched out my CT-100 z-wave thermostat with a wifi honeywell unit and it works so much better using its own programming. I can still make changes to it in vera using a plugin, but the actual scheduling and programming is done on the thermostat itself.

If you do get a z-wave thermostats, make sure its one that can be programmed independently of the vera.

I agree that controlling with Vera isn’t really all that useful. It’s nice to have some flexibility, especially if you are one of the z-wave vent guys!

But I also agree with tomgru, the Ecobee 3 is great on it’s own, and the Vera plugin works good enough.

[quote=“benk016, post:3, topic:187546”]For now, I don’t think Vera is the best option for controlling your thermostat. If you want actual programming you have to write the code yourself. I switched out my CT-100 z-wave thermostat with a wifi honeywell unit and it works so much better using its own programming. I can still make changes to it in vera using a plugin, but the actual scheduling and programming is done on the thermostat itself.

If you do get a z-wave thermostats, make sure its one that can be programmed independently of the vera.[/quote]

Good point. Our settings and programming are pretty stable, at most I make changes as we move from Summer and Winter (South Florida). The ability to monitor/report and make occasional manual changes when traveling etc would suffice, the actual daily programs seem best done on the thermostat itself.

Stay far away from the ct30. It is the worst thermostat ever. It never works right, Vera cannot poll it for more than a few hours and it causes nothing but frustration.

I switched to remotec zts-110 and couldn’t be happier. It does instant status, so no need to rely on polling, and it just works. You can get one for $65 (I liked it so much I bought another one for the second zone)

[quote=“aptalca, post:6, topic:187546”]Stay far away from the ct30. It is the worst thermostat ever. It never works right, Vera cannot poll it for more than a few hours and it causes nothing but frustration.

I switched to remotec zts-110 and couldn’t be happier. It does instant status, so no need to rely on polling, and it just works. You can get one for $65 (I liked it so much I bought another one for the second zone)[/quote]
That’s, good to know, I was actually looking at the CT30 so I’ll look elsewhere now

I use two of the TRANE z-wave thermostats and have no issues with them. I did need to run two more wires to get them to work, but I had no issue with that. They respond instantly for me when sending commands to them and I like that they have a physical up and down button to change the temperature.

Does anyone know how the Centralite 3157100 works with Vera? Looking at the Centralite website, it looks like it’s a Zigbee device. However, under “Add Device” in Vera, the Centralite 3157100 shows up as an option.

Does anyone know how this works?

Be aware that getting rid of the Rheeem thermostat will limit your control over the furnace. You will have to make some changes as the fan motor speed is currently control via the thermostat using the Econet thermostat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote=“clippermiami, post:7, topic:187546”][quote=“aptalca, post:6, topic:187546”]Stay far away from the ct30. It is the worst thermostat ever. It never works right, Vera cannot poll it for more than a few hours and it causes nothing but frustration.

I switched to remotec zts-110 and couldn’t be happier. It does instant status, so no need to rely on polling, and it just works. You can get one for $65 (I liked it so much I bought another one for the second zone)[/quote]
That’s, good to know, I was actually looking at the CT30 so I’ll look elsewhere now[/quote]

you can consider Remotec ZTS-110 thermostat, you can purchase it at Amazon and it is on promotion. very nice I am using it.

using ct100 for almost 3 years
never wrote any script for it
automated by creating some scenes and triggers
works fine for me

Hi Benk,

Which honeywell system did you select. I like the evohome multizone but i did not think anyone had created a plugin yet.
I like that it is stand alone so that when vera gets trashed during updates my heating still works.

Cheers

I have an Ecobee3 and it has been fantastic