Standalone (Z-Wave?) Alarm Panel for Vera?

Hi All,

I’m trying to use some VeraPlus controllers for a “DIY” security solution at my job. I have various Door/Window Sensors, Motion Detectors, and Sirens that are all working fine. From my phone I can arm and disarm the system and I get alerts if the door is opened while the system is armed, or if a motion sensor is tripped.

Unfortunately, not everybody has a smartphone where I work, nor would I feel comfortable installing apps on everyone’s personal phones at the company just so they can arm and disarm the alarm system. At first I wanted to give employees Aeon Labs Gen 5 Keyfobs to control the security system, but apparently this won’t work. We have multiple buildings, pretty far apart, and even though I’ve bridged Veras across our network I can only use a keyfob with the Vera it was paired to. So with a Vera in Building 1 and a Vera in Building 2, I can give someone a keyfob that will arm and disarm both buildings, but they can only use that keyfob while they’re physically in one building. If I want them to be able to control the system from either building, I would need to give them two separate keyfobs, which is not ideal. I’ve tried to “trick” the system in various ways, backing up the Z-wave network on one device and restoring it on another, in an attempt to have two “synced” Z-wave networks where a keyfob could interact with either one. So far, however, nothing I’ve tried works. The closest I’ve gotten resulted in one Vera being a “slave” controller and not passing keyfob button presses over the TCP/IP Vera Bridge.

So at this point, I believe I’m stuck using alarm panels. But I’m really having a tough time finding something decent to use. Most of what I see on the forum involve a whole separate security system (DSC, Paradox EVO, Honeywell, PowerMax). I really like some of the touchscreen panels out there, especially the DSC Touch or the Paradox TM50 Touch, but everything I find I either don’t see any use cases with Vera, or it needs to communicate to a full-blown security system that is costly and (IMO) unnecessary considering in this case the Vera IS the security system.

The only exceptions I’ve found to this rule is the WinTop RFID Tag Reader (Tag Reader - BeNext B.V.) or the deadbolts with built-in PIN pads. I kinda like the WinTop RFID solution, but I’m worried that someone could simply use a RFID reader/writer and clone someone else’s tag. I also don’t like that the keypad only has 4 digits, if I could find a full 9-digit keypad I would be much happier. I love the deadbolts, but our doors are thin glass with a thin metal frame, I’m not sure if I could get one to properly mount on it.

I’m sure this sounds picky, but I’m just looking for a simple wall-mounted, PIN-code alarm panel that would hopefully communicate via Z-wave (or Zigbee, or Bluetooth, or even over LAN) with the Vera. Any suggestions?

What about the zipato keypad? It looks like it’s now supported according to the end of this thread:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,26394.0.html

Hi,
Most people prefer not to use Vera itself as an alarm due to the risk of it crashing/rebootinggenerally doing odd things.
The preferred solution is to use a specifically designed alarm panel and connect that to Vera. That gives you the control from scenes and the tie in to evrything else but works whatever happens to Vera.
Obviously Vera is better than no alarm but do consider the risks.

[quote=“kigmatzomat, post:2, topic:192001”]What about the zipato keypad? It looks like it’s now supported according to the end of this thread:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,26394.0.html[/quote]

That Zipato keypad as far as I can tell is no different from the WinTop one I mentioned in my post. Posts in that thread even say the manufacturer is WinTop. So I assume the same problems I mentioned in my post (only 1-4 digits instead of 1-9, the risk of someone easily cloning a RFID tag) would apply.

[quote=“Slartibartfast, post:3, topic:192001”]Hi,
Most people prefer not to use Vera itself as an alarm due to the risk of it crashing/rebootinggenerally doing odd things.
The preferred solution is to use a specifically designed alarm panel and connect that to Vera. That gives you the control from scenes and the tie in to evrything else but works whatever happens to Vera.
Obviously Vera is better than no alarm but do consider the risks.[/quote]

I’m on the latest VeraPlus, hopefully with the improved hardware came improved stability (I guess only time will tell.) I guess I may be making a mistake in the long run, but Vera’s website and the community forums differ on this aspect. The website claims that Vera can be used as a “Comprehensive Home Security” system. Assuming I don’t go overboard on customizations, I don’t think I’ll run into too much trouble.

I think you arr correct in avoiding customisations. The majority (in my opinion) of people who write in here about crashes and restarts seem to have quitd a few apps. I myself only have Pleg and the RGBW controller and as far as I can tell I never get restarts and crashes.
I believe that z-wave can be blocked by a thief who knows about it which adds vulnerability but any thief that dedicated will get in anyway. Vera web security is not the best in the world (as you can read in this forum) which might allow an attacker to turn off your alarm. Anyway, any alarm systrm is better than nothing.