Some Forums Category and Board restructure...

Folks,
The forums have grown somewhat since they were originally put together so some restructuring has been done to account for this growth.

Here are the key changes:

[ul][li]New Boards, under the General Category, to cover focused discussions on Initial Setup, Upgrades, Lighting, Security, AV Control, etc.[/li]
[li]Renaming the Luup & Development Board to Programming, and moving it to the Advanced Category.[/li]
[li]Creating a new Category specifically for Public Beta and Pre-Release discussions, to better separate these from production software usage.[/li][/ul]

Please feel free to use these newly created Boards to handle more topic-focused discussions. For some of the Beta threads, I’ll be moving these into the newly created Beta and Pre-Release area.

In the coming weeks we’re looking to bring [Pinned] FAQ Postings, to some of the more common Boards, to better point people to the answers

Brought to you by the Beta Testers…

Great work guessed! I woke up this morning after drinking too much last night, logged in and thought I had lost it! :slight_smile:

Will there be an effort to re-classify some of the more popular and/or more recent discussions into the new Boards?

I volunteered to help out recategorizing some threads.

Answer is pending…

Over time, yes. Baby steps at the moment just to see how well this “next round” of changes works (similar to the ones we recently executed for the Luup/Programming section)

Ultimately each of these sub-boards needs a set of [Community-based] Moderators. These folks, along with the initial post authors, will be able to move things around if there’s a better area for them to be posted in etc.

I made a few moves this morning for the Lighting and lock category, to better “seed” those areas. I’d like to see how people fair, after a week or so, before opening up and doing wholesale moves… esp since we don’t want to leave those nasty Post-has-MOVED posts behind.

Might I suggest an “X10 interaction” category? I’ve given up on X10 for our house (for reasons having nothing to do with Vera), but it’s a semi-whenual topic in most of the sub-fora. And it seems that WRT Vera, whether the X10 item is a sensor, a switch, a camera, whatever, trying to get X10-based versions of those working with Vera have more in common with one another than they do with non-X10 devices of the same types.

–Richard

I suspect there will be a 2nd round of board additions at some point in time. This round was designed to “offset” the majority of the discussions that were over-running the “General” topic, and to help cut down on the redundant postings…

Feel free to recommend, and discuss, the “extras” that people want here, in order to get to consensus. We did haul-back somewhat on overloading with new boards, to “err” on the side of less-is-more for now to avoid confusion, and to see how people react to them (if they post in them, etc)

I know that @Henk has a few suggestions also for a “Notifications” board, along with renaming the “General” to something else (like “Miscellaneous”)

Anyhow, feel free to post thoughts here and perhaps we can convince MCV’s folks to add more once there’s general agreement.

As a daily reader of the forum for well over a year … I want to thank all involved for the forum restructure :slight_smile:

Agreed, I thank you and I say well done.

There aren’t too many catagories and I think it sorts things quite well. I feel like it is important to keep the amount of catagories as low as possible so we keep it easy to read all of them, the more divided it gets the more some of the areas fall into the dead zone and when someone goes to resurrect an older topic they won’t get an answer because the catagory ends up ignored.

This seems just right, good job!

What some forums have is a “view active topics” link, when you click on it, it shows you a list of topics that have recent postings (on the entire forum), this is very handy to keep track of whats happening and not miss something because you didn’t check that subtopic.

Mitch

I don’t know if that what you’re looking for, but there’s a ‘View the most recent posts on the forum’ link on the bottom left of the forum main page, just above online users. That’s what I use anyway.

[quote=“mitch672, post:10, topic:168538”]What some forums have is a “view active topics” link, when you click on it, it shows you a list of topics that have recent postings (on the entire forum), this is very handy to keep track of whats happening and not miss something because you didn’t check that subtopic.

Mitch[/quote]

Yes, that is it. Could it be put in a better location, to make it easier to find? I have been on here for at least 6 months and have never seen that link :slight_smile:

Mitch

I’ll take a look, but it might involve messing with the board code :slight_smile: Not that I am afraid to get my hands dirty, just that it would be a pity to break something that works :slight_smile:

[quote=“mitch672, post:12, topic:168538”]Yes, that is it. Could it be put in a better location, to make it easier to find? I have been on here for at least 6 months and have never seen that link :slight_smile:

Mitch[/quote]

@mcv.eugen

Perhaps a font change, color change and or bold face would suffice rather than relocating the link?

As some of us help out other users with their issues, i tend to find that the Wiki troubleshooting and how to pages do not always cover all subjects and /or variables as they are more or less static.
Most of the times it is actual troubleshooting asking users to describe their problem, their settings etc etc.

In numerous threads out there we all contributed valuable posts that help others troubleshoot know issues or find workarounds for their problems.

Having said that… i wonder if there is room for a section “Troubleshooting” in future board extensionor restructioning.

[quote=“guessed, post:7, topic:168538”]I suspect there will be a 2nd round of board additions at some point in time. This round was designed to “offset” the majority of the discussions that were over-running the “General” topic, and to help cut down on the redundant postings…

Feel free to recommend, and discuss, the “extras” that people want here, in order to get to consensus. We did haul-back somewhat on overloading with new boards, to “err” on the side of less-is-more for now to avoid confusion, and to see how people react to them (if they post in them, etc)

I know that @Henk has a few suggestions also for a “Notifications” board, along with renaming the “General” to something else (like “Miscellaneous”)

Anyhow, feel free to post thoughts here and perhaps we can convince MCV’s folks to add more once there’s general agreement.[/quote]

[quote=“MCV.Eugen, post:13, topic:168538”]I’ll take a look, but it might involve messing with the board code :slight_smile: Not that I am afraid to get my hands dirty, just that it would be a pity to break something that works :slight_smile:

[quote=“mitch672, post:12, topic:168538”]Yes, that is it. Could it be put in a better location, to make it easier to find? I have been on here for at least 6 months and have never seen that link :slight_smile:

Mitch[/quote][/quote]
You could also switch the whole forum to use the Theme:
SMF Default Theme - Core

this is somewhat cleaner overall, and has these links in bold, at the top. One of the recent SMF updates seems to have broken a [non-Newbie’s] ability to change the Theme over, but it probably can still be done at the Board-level

Mitch[/quote]
As a side-note until MCV and team fix the ability to switch the Skins/Themes on the forums, the “direct URL”:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?action=unread

will show you a list of the most recent, and unread, emails.

I haven’t been on the board in awhile, but love the new structure. Like others have said… It’s just right with topic/subject breakout.

Thanks!
Les

Looks like we forgot one board that we need, titled: WHINING ::slight_smile:

There has been a few “whiners” that will go unnamed posting all over the place lately and this would be a good place for those threads. Or, maybe we are just more used to things not working 100% :slight_smile:

@MCV,

Board Requests:

‘MiOS Server Status’ or something of that nature, to collect and discuss (suspected) connection issues through cp.mios.com.

‘Shade Control’ for window covering related stuff.

‘Advanced > Hardware Projects’ or something, where hardware add-on and mods are discussed.

The Z-Wave remotes (e.g. 45601/HA07/HA09/VRCPG/minimote) could use their own spot.