[Solved] TTS - Tearing my hair out.

New to Sonos and just finished setting up 2 Play 1 speakers. Both are working.

UI7 Vera 3.

• Installed Sonos plugin, uPnP event plugin, weather underground and say the weather plugin.
  • Registered for WU and MS azure cloud. Inputter the MS client secret and cliend ID’s in the fields
  • The uPNP Event proxy is running.

The Sonos plugin allows me to see what’s playing and change the station, change volume etc. It sees both my Play 1’s with the correct IP’s. To me that indicates it is communicating with my Play 1’s correctly. Also the Help tab refers to botj my speakers and correct radio and Sirius SID’s and my sonos service key.

However, I can’t seem to get TTS to work. Not a peep with Say the Weather or the test box in the TTS tab of the Sonos plugin. Tried both Google and Microsoft TTS. No errors and not speech out of the speakers. I set Volume on the TTS tab to 95 so it should be blasting…

I bought the Sonos to give me to ability to use TTS for announcement/alerts and play pre-defined MP3’s to my dogs if tehy misbehave. I know it’s something stupidly simple I am missing here and I also know I’ve developed tunnel vision trying to resolve this so I need a fresh input.

On a side note, I am pleasantly surprised by the audio on these speakers…

Hi

I have also hard time with the TTS to Google and Microsoft. I have figured out that the problem must be on server side. Today I did get it work but an hour later it was broken again. same thing yesterday.

I think the problem must be on the server side. I have also tried bouth Microsoft and Google.

Does anyone know what is the most realible TTS server to use. Right now I am not so mutch interested about the voice quality, any sound will do.

Mine is hit or miss. I use the Microsoft TTS because Google just wasn’t working out for me, and it’s still a little flakey. My 8:30 announcement telling the boys it’s time for them to take a shower, but I don’t think that my morning announcements are firing. However it could be that I’m sleeping through them…I should test it out tonight.

Having read the posts, I started out with MS but have tried both. I switched on debug and PM’d lolodomo the logs. Hopefully that will shine some light on this.

After all this, I’m checking on MaryTTS as I have both a *nix and a WHS2011 server I can install that on and be independent of the Internet connection. Does anyone in here have experience with it?

I had issues when I first set up ms tts, turns out I forgot to check the 2,000,000 Characters

even though is free, you still have to select it or you get a very small number of characters

https://datamarket.azure.com/dataset/bing/microsofttranslator

if your using google, it’s hit and miss because of google side issues

Thanks for the tip. I forgot that plan. Added it but that made no change unfortunately. However, switching to google TTS gave me 3 outputs of a test sentence and then it went silent again and now refuses to say a word.

Update: No changes made but all of a sudden (using the MS TTS) they speak! Test phrases and ‘say the weather’ on both Play 1’s. Now to figure out how to change the guy voice to a gal voice. If that is at all possible. We’ll see how long this lasts.

[quote=“BOFH, post:6, topic:190066”]Thanks for the tip. I forgot that plan. Added it but that made no change unfortunately. However, switching to google TTS gave me 3 outputs of a test sentence and then it went silent again and now refuses to say a word.

Update: No changes made but all of a sudden (using the MS TTS) they speak! Test phrases and ‘say the weather’ on both Play 1’s. Now to figure out how to change the guy voice to a gal voice. If that is at all possible. We’ll see how long this lasts.[/quote]

it is possible. I think it’s on the thread about the switch, but just change the microsoft “default language” to whatever you want…

you can test in the “say” upper part of the TTS tab… try different langauges, and it should show you what the variable is then, so for example, if you select English (British), you’ll see en-GB.

then put en-gb in the default language box.

what is funny is that all of them are in English… it’s just accents.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll tinker with it when I get home.

So far, so good. This AM I received a nice weather forecast from Sonos as I hoped I would when I set up the scene last night.

Update: the only female voice appears to be en-AU but her accent ruins it for me.

[quote=“BOFH, post:8, topic:190066”]Thanks for the tip. I’ll tinker with it when I get home.

So far, so good. This AM I received a nice weather forecast from Sonos as I hoped I would when I set up the scene last night.

Update: the only female voice appears to be en-AU but her accent ruins it for me.[/quote]

The CA voice is also female, and sounds almost exactly like the old Google voice.

Thanks, gonna have to try that one as I much prefer a female voice. Unfortunately no weather report this AM so not quite sure what’s going on. I did notice MS Translator supports Klingon so I got all excited. But the plugin does not support that it seems, even if I enter the language code directly. Would have been nice…

I may just have to go tinker with installing MaryTTS on my WHS2011 box and see how good that one works.

[quote=“JS007, post:5, topic:190066”]I had issues when I first set up ms tts, turns out I forgot to check the 2,000,000 Characters

even though is free, you still have to select it or you get a very small number of characters

https://datamarket.azure.com/dataset/bing/microsofttranslator

if your using google, it’s hit and miss because of google side issues[/quote]

Thanks, that was excatly the case . Now I managed to get my code done and my sonos wakes me up with good morning and outside weather announsment in finnish language nice! :smiley:

I did all that with 2000 000 characters. I have the Client ID and secret, and I’ve been messing with that back and forth and get nothing. I tried copy the ID as is, nothing… I deleted the “-” cuz I read no spacing between characters and nothing.

What and how do I set up in the Vera?

I’m using MS TTS and I have 1,997,857 characters remaining. ;D

[quote=“Kryckmeister, post:12, topic:190066”]I did all that with 2000 000 characters. I have the Client ID and secret, and I’ve been messing with that back and forth and get nothing. I tried copy the ID as is, nothing… I deleted the “-” cuz I read no spacing between characters and nothing.

What and how do I set up in the Vera?[/quote]

under my developers tab on left side of web page on ms site (is this what your using)

https://datamarket.azure.com/developer/applications

click register button

you will see where to create the client id\secret key

Redirect URI I used https://microsoft.com