So what remotes DO work ???

I have been a x10 user forever and am finally going Z-Wave.
(VeraLite running F/W: 1.7.481)

I thought I would start slow with the VeraLite unit and get all the devices changed over. This has gone pretty well but I am stopped dead with the inability to interface the GE 45600.

I read through others having the same issue (First posted in 2011 - Yes - 2011!)
I finally read the most recent thread which states to stay away from this controller … really?
Also, saw somewhere where one user states he went back to U15 and was able to get this controller to work.

So here is my questions:

1. What model handheld controller works with Vera? I want to have a few remotes around the house.
    (I really don’t want to walk around the house with my iPhone)

** I looked through the “Add New Device”=>“Handheld” section figuring this would be the best way to know … but nothing but 2 fobs and a keypad.

1. Does the GE 45600 remote actually work in U15? … if so … how the heck can I backload to that version?

2. Where do you find in VeraLite the UI number. The only info I find is F/W (1.7.481).

Please let me know what handheld works … I have spent hours trying to get the friggin GE to interface and have ran into every problem listed in the forums with no solution in sight.

Thanks - PK

I’m new to this as well and I’m also looking for a remote that works with my Vera 3 UI7. I bought a GE 45600, but as I’ve learned elsewhere it doesn’t work other than to turn all lights on/off. Right now I’m just looking to get basic functionality for individual lights. Has anyone been able to get the “Light” then number function to work? This would be a great remote if it actually worked with UI7.

I’m contemplating buying an Aeon Labs DSA03202 v1 - Z-Wave Minimote as they are only $25 on Amazon. I saw some posts that make me think they might work…does anyone know if that’s true? If not, does anyone know of any remotes that work with UI7?

[quote=“PolarLava, post:2, topic:185109”]I’m new to this as well and I’m also looking for a remote that works with my Vera 3 UI7. I bought a GE 45600, but as I’ve learned elsewhere it doesn’t work other than to turn all lights on/off. Right now I’m just looking to get basic functionality for individual lights. Has anyone been able to get the “Light” then number function to work? This would be a great remote if it actually worked with UI7.

I’m contemplating buying an Aeon Labs DSA03202 v1 - Z-Wave Minimote as they are only $25 on Amazon. I saw some posts that make me think they might work…does anyone know if that’s true? If not, does anyone know of any remotes that work with UI7?[/quote]

PolarLava
Been using Vera3 and Veralite for 3 to 4 years now back in November of 2014 upgraded F/W to U17 the latset at the time and did one update to each controller until I started have trouble with my Vera3 have been using with full sucess HA07 and GE 45600 controllers ,until the F/W update, well after many tickets to tech support without any replies I deciedd to un-update my Vera 3 back to F/W U15.xxxx After reseting the entire controller and then re-pairing my Ha07 and GE45600 and putting new “scenes” or automation for my remotes everything works just great again. I have found that most of my sensors just operated erratically with U17. So untilo Vera gets it act together I will not be doing any upgrades. Now I have a Vera Edge that comes with U17 and I have played extensively with adding sensors and modules and remotes and have much problems with plugin’s,even updated ones,sensors,etc motion sensors, water leak detectors and remotes. So if you do get you remotes working properly please let the forum know how you did it.
I like Vera but after the F/W update problems and lack of support I am not at all with the Vera people. They have a great thinbg going for they and for Us but if they don’t make major fixes to the new software they will lose customers to other automation people. It should not take one 2 or 3 months to make there Home automation work properly, just because they updated the F/W.

Please - I ask again … How do you unupdate your f/w?

Where are the past versions located?

Please … how did you undo the UI7 and F/W back to UI5.
Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

There are many post on this forum giving details on how to downgrade. Please do a search.

• Garrett

That was helpful.

Here’s an idea … fix 1.7 and I won’t have to search the forum to downgrade.

I bought this unit with 1.7 loaded and have spent hours (to no avail) trying to get my GE remote to integrate.
I am seeing more and more (new) Vera units ending up on Craigslist because of this (easy to configure) unit being a PITA.

It doesn’t take too much to figure out 1.7 killed nearly every remote control device programming.
There are countless posts of experienced users having the same issue and having to back load UI.

When will 1.8 be out to fix what 1.7 broke???

If this is any indication of this companies way of doing business - I’m OUT!

Shocker … backloaded to U15 and now all remotes are working …

Vera3 ? UI7 ? Aeon MiniMote

How To Set Up Vera3 with MiniMote DSA03202v1:

1. Go To: http://www.aeon-labs.com
  2. Update your MiniMote Firmware to 1.19.
  3. Reset your MiniMote: Hold “Blank” and “Join” buttons down together until the lights stop blinking.
  4. On your Vera3 (go to "Devices=>Add a Device=>Hand Held=>Key Fob (Z-Wave Me Key Fob).
  5. Go through the Device setup until the Vera3 z-wave light is blinking slowly.
  6. Take your MiniMote close to the Vera3 and push the “Join? button”.
  7. The z-wave LED on the Vera3 and the LEDs on the MiniMote will start to blink fast and stop again.
  8. Wait a couple of minutes until the lua engine is restarted. Wait 2 minutes. The z-wave light on the Vera3 may or may not be blinking anymore. You might need to click elsewhere to exit the setup now.

SEQUENCE: Set Up Scene using Manual Trigger-Get Scene Number-Edit Scene-Change Manual Trigger to Remote-Choose Activate (for Short push) OR Deactivate (for Long push) then enter Scene number you are editing-Validate and finish.

1. Go to “Scenes” on the Vera3. Setup the scenes you want using the Device=Manual. You will come back later and tie it to the MiniMote. Setup one scene for ON(Activated) and one scene for OFF(Deactivated) as each of the 4 buttons on the MiniMote can be programed to do 2 things.

Write down the Scene numbers to identify it/them for the next step.

1. Go to ?Scenes? again. NOW edit each scene you just set up and change the trigger to be a Device then choose the MiniMote. It will show that the MiniMote is now the trigger but the internal scene number must be assigned from 9 above. Once done, validate then go to Finish.

2. LAST-Go to “Devices” on the Vera3. Choose the MiniMote to Edit. Go to Select Scenes to be assigned to Buttons. Assign Scenes set up above to each Button.

MiniMote: On = Short press of button OFF = Long press of button

Now the scenes should show all the buttons assigned and the scenes with the scene #s. Be sure to click Save Changes.

Does the mini mote or any others work on UI6? Thanks

It took me a while to get back to this, but I can confirm that AZJowett’s instructions above worked flawlessly to get a MiniMote working with a Vera3 running UI7. Thank you!

That is what the Karma is for…
<---------

1. LAST-Go to “Devices” on the Vera3. Choose the MiniMote to Edit. Go to Select Scenes to be assigned to Buttons. Assign Scenes set up above to each Button.

This where I got Stuck: when I go to the MiniMote settings I see this below the Save Changes button:
of your
ScenesButton #4-On=Lights ON, Button #5-Off=lights off

#4 and #5 are the scene ids. when I open select scenes it asks me how many buttons my remote has. if i enter 4 I can only assign one scene to a button press, no matter if it is a long or short press …

it would be great if you could the detailed settings of your minimote … :-*

[quote=“nagyg, post:12, topic:185109”]11. LAST-Go to “Devices” on the Vera3. Choose the MiniMote to Edit. Go to Select Scenes to be assigned to Buttons. Assign Scenes set up above to each Button.

This where I got Stuck: when I go to the MiniMote settings I see this below the Save Changes button:
of your
ScenesButton #4-On=Lights ON, Button #5-Off=lights off

#4 and #5 are the scene ids. when I open select scenes it asks me how many buttons my remote has. if i enter 4 I can only assign one scene to a button press, no matter if it is a long or short press …

it would be great if you could the detailed settings of your minimote … :-*[/quote]

I don’t think your minimote got added correctly as it should have shown up with 4 two function buttons without any interaction from you, now let me say I’m on UI7 current release. I have also found that item #11 in the above instructions was not required in my environment, I did NOT set the scene’s there yet they function perfectly.

Answer from the remote vendor/GE/Jasco:

The Handheld Remote 45600 is such an old controller that it might not work well with the newer Z-wave controllers. If the 45600 doesn?t work well then the only thing that I can recommend would be to exchange it for a different controller. The 45600 utilizes the old chip set so that might be another reason it’s not working.

Answer from Vera:

Our R&D department worked on adding support for this remote on UI7 without any positive results. The samples we have in our lab, have a bad habit of sending the ON commands all the time, but sends completely random commands for OFF. There might be a small number of samples on the market, with a certain firmware I believe, which work correctly, but most of them cannot be integrated just because of this ?randomness?. And even on these ?good? remotes, after some time they start sending the same random commands after a while, for no reason.
The ?integration? ON UI5 was made by a third party customer, and I would say that he just had the luck to have a good sample. and only worked for a limited amount of time. In theory it should work the same on UI7.
This remote seems to be work best as a stand alone controller for z-wave devices, instead of a z-wave scene controller.
Don?t think there will be any integration soon if we don?t get hold of sample that works correctly and predictably.
As alternatives, any remote or keyfob from AeonLabs should work out of the box with Vera. There are some newer remotes on the market from a manufacturer named Nodon, which also work with Vera.

i have 2 of these remotes which worked fine by running scenes on my Vera lite UI7.
I believe I added them on UI5 and when I upgraded to UI7 they still worked fine.
I have now upgraded to a Vera Plus controller and even though they seem to transfer fine and all scenes are still assigned to the correct buttons,
they do not function. I have tried deleting and reinstalling and that does not work either, seems to add device OK but then I get “waiting for device to wake up to configure” or something similar. I do not understand how they work on older controller but not new both running UI7.