So setting up... Range issues???

Hello all,

I am very excited to be a member of the vera world… but one question is bugging me during setup. I live in a 4000 sq foot home and have noticed things arent working unless they are in the next room? If I move devices upstairs I get the error “transmit failed with code 1” which after looking up means that the range is too far…

So my question is… Does the z wave network improve with the more devices you place? Should I build my system starting from where my vera is located and then subsequently move the network out? Am I missing the idea??

If I have it totally wrong then how do I extend the range… Right now Im not getting more than 10 feet??

Thanks in advance!!!

Sal

So my question is... Does the z wave network improve with the more devices you place? Should I build my system starting from where my vera is located and then subsequently move the network out?
That's a common model, used by quite a few people. Radiate out from Vera whilst you build out the network.... building successive "layers" as you go, and stabilizing along the way.

Note that Z-Wave has a limit on the number of intermediate “hops” in the Z-Wave Network (4, from memory) and these need to be powered nodes (not battery operated). They’re also not always the most obvious “neighbor” choices, due to the nature of RF and it’s interactions with walls (etc).

I have several wall-wart (Appliance Modules) scattered around my house to provide extra Z-Wave coverage. I did this early on, and have never moved them, as some of my earlier devices were “at the edge” of my house.

If I have it totally wrong then how do I extend the range... Right now Im not getting more than 10 feet??
You should get more than 10 feet, in line-of-sight. All walls, and other intermediate boundaries, will lessen the overall potential range, as will the materials those walls/boundaries (etc) are made of (paper vs sheetrock vs concrete vs lead)

I have 5000 sq ft (2500 up and down) … I occasionally get a problem … just after I add a new device.
My Vera is sitting in the Geometric middle of the house.
Just Repair the network when everything is in it’s normal spot and you should be good to go.

A significant factor in radio wave propagation will be the house construction material … I do not have radio waves trying to penetrate concrete walls.

The Repair the network is in the Z-Wave tab at the top (Vera2 anyway).
For a few devices it should not take long … the more you add the longer the repair takes.
It’s best not to use any devices while the repair is going on … so I do it before I go to bed.

I have the same issue with my newly acquired Vera 2 and my first Z-wave module; a double In-wall appliance module. I can’t get the module any further than about 4 metres (12 feet) away from the Vera before I get a Failed: Code 2 error.

I’ve reset the Z-wave network and done a full heal with stress test to no avail.

Can anyone advise how I determine whether it’s the Vera2 or the Z-wave module? I purchased them from two different suppliers which is going to cause me grief I know trying to determine whose at fault?

Vera 2 running 1.1.1362 (UI4).

[quote=“xbmcnut, post:4, topic:170731”]I have the same issue with my newly acquired Vera 2 and my first Z-wave module; a double In-wall appliance module. I can’t get the module any further than about 4 metres (12 feet) away from the Vera before I get a Failed: Code 2 error.

I’ve reset the Z-wave network and done a full heal with stress test to no avail.

Can anyone advise how I determine whether it’s the Vera2 or the Z-wave module? I purchased them from two different suppliers which is going to cause me grief I know trying to determine whose at fault?

Vera 2 running 1.1.1362 (UI4).[/quote]

Doubt its the Vera. Try unplugging and plugging in the module to reset it. Also try re-including it (you could exclude and re-include to be certain). I have trouble getting much distance but my walls are all an internal stucco with a wire mesh which kills the RF propagation. THe more devices you have the better the mesh will work… What kind of plug-in is it?

Range is very much a function of construction materials. Is the appliance module in a plastic or metal electrical box? A properly grounded metal box will kill the RF range. What is the wall construction? Are there any devices in your house using the 900 MHz band that Z-wave uses that could be interfering with the range?

You might try this device: [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EHWJRW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1MG79SNGXY92W45TM8R5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EHWJRW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1MG79SNGXY92W45TM8R5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846[/url]. This will help you determine if there is any interference, and might help you determine if the signal from the Vera is not getting to the device or vice versa.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I’m actually an Electronics Tech by trade but new to Z-Wave. Device is for Aussie/NZ market and we don’t use the 900Mhz for much else. I have 2.4GHz WiFi and that’s about it. Wall are standard timber and plasterboard and there is only one between the two devices.

I took the Vera 2 and Appliance module to work today to try a different environment and got the same result.

The local NZ agent has offered to take a look at both for me which is very kind. I’ll keep you posted

There have been a few instances of loose / not properly connected Z-Wave boards and/or antenna pigtails, inside Vera.

Obviously up to you, if that’s something you want to look at yourself (and consider potential warranty and return eligibility issues). If possible, first try a different Z-Wave module I guess; which is probably what your local agent can/will do?

Thanks for the tips. The local NZ agent has confirmed that the z-wave in-wall appliance module has a short-range issue and has gone back to the Aussie agent for advice/replacement.

hello ALl

i was trying to work on my family house as it is 250 square meters area. But i am confused if z-wave will be the solution
i have at my place which is 15 square meters no problems but i am afraid of the range in my family house
i planned to install 80 device in this house
what do u thing?