Smart Switch Plugin

[quote=“vosmont, post:39, topic:172134”]Hi,

the “S_SmartSwitchController1.xml” file doesn’t follow the service template.[/quote]

Which service template are you referring to? (i.e. I’m still trying to find docs on this)

Hugh

There is really no information on shortcodes for the lu_sdata. If you want the value to be populated in the lu_sdata, you’ll need to use the shortcode in the servicevariables you want to expose.

• Garrett

[quote=“hugheaves, post:1, topic:172134”]Introduction

Suggestions / Tips

[ul][li]You can control the light levels using scenes. This can be used, for example, to have the lights automatically turn on to a lower level at night time, or not turn on at all during the day.[/li][/ul][/quote]

Hi,
I am a total newb to Vera and smart switch. But I have tried to search the forum but without luck.
Can someone explain to me how to set up smart switch with different light at night time?

[quote=“haavard, post:43, topic:172134”][quote=“hugheaves, post:1, topic:172134”]Introduction

Suggestions / Tips

[ul][li]You can control the light levels using scenes. This can be used, for example, to have the lights automatically turn on to a lower level at night time, or not turn on at all during the day.[/li][/ul][/quote]

Hi,
I am a total newb to Vera and smart switch. But I have tried to search the forum but without luck.
Can someone explain to me how to set up smart switch with different light at night time?[/quote]
Create a new instance of a SmartSwitch (click the wrench for the main device, enter the device ID for the light you want to control, hit “Add” and wait for the new device to be created.) Then use that new device like your old one (add the motion sensor, etc), and use scenes to set the delay/brightness/timeouts as appropriate.

I have managed to create the smart switch.
But I don’t understand how I can create a scene that will trigger lower light at night, and normal light at daytime.

In my opinion this functionality should only working during the night. And without the need of create a lot of scene, why do not integrate it on the plug in?
Thank you
Matteo

[quote=“teonebello, post:46, topic:172134”]In my opinion this functionality should only working during the night. And without the need of create a lot of scene, why do not integrate it on the plug in?
Thank you
Matteo[/quote]Each person’s definition of “night” is not the same. And there are some lights I certainly want to go on at different levels based on the time of day or activity. This plugin is designed to be flexible…to start building in restrictions and adding on extra layers makes it more cumbersome and restrictive.

I am trying to delete the “off” button of the “on level” of the smart switch that i put in one of my scenes that i no longer want it to do, and the little red x in the right corner will not remove it, it wont grey out. i suppose i could delete the whole scene but i have it doing alot of other things as well

Thanks

[quote=“SteveZ, post:48, topic:172134”]I am trying to delete the “off” button of the “on level” of the smart switch that i put in one of my scenes that i no longer want it to do, and the little red x in the right corner will not remove it, it wont grey out. i suppose i could delete the whole scene but i have it doing alot of other things as well

Thanks[/quote]Go to the Advanced tab and delete the action there?

yeah that worked, thank you.

I am still struggling to figure out how to program this to turn on a lower light at night than during the day.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

create a scene with a schedule with the time you want it to be lower then on the smart switch select the on level percentage that you want it to be, create another scene to change it back to the higher light level for during the day

Hi hugheaves,

[quote=“hugheaves, post:36, topic:172134”][quote=“vosmont, post:35, topic:172134”]- Is it possible to control the switch using other device than motion sensor ?
I’ve got a BLYSS motion sensor, which is detected by the RFXtrx plugin as a light.[/quote]

Not right now, but it’s on my “to do” list, and will be in the next release. The next release should be out in a couple of weeks.[/quote]

I’ve made the little modification to handle powerswitch as sensor.
Now my BLYSS motion sensor is supported.

Great plugin ;D

How can I send you the files ?

Thanks for the explanation. It works perfectly now.

Is this possible to select multiple lights? I realize there may be conflict if a Dimmer and On/Off switch were lumped together, however I would like to associate 4 dimmers with one motion and set the levels with this.

Thanks

[quote=“vosmont, post:53, topic:172134”]Hi hugheaves,

[quote=“hugheaves, post:36, topic:172134”][quote=“vosmont, post:35, topic:172134”]- Is it possible to control the switch using other device than motion sensor ?
I’ve got a BLYSS motion sensor, which is detected by the RFXtrx plugin as a light.[/quote]

Not right now, but it’s on my “to do” list, and will be in the next release. The next release should be out in a couple of weeks.[/quote]

I’ve made the little modification to handle powerswitch as sensor.
Now my BLYSS motion sensor is supported.

Great plugin ;D

How can I send you the files ?[/quote]

Hey vosmont,

Sorry for the late reply… I missed your post in my email stream.

If you like, go ahead and send me your modified files by private message on this forum, and I’ll merge them in with some other unreleased changes I have in the queue…

Hugh

[quote=“big517, post:55, topic:172134”]Is this possible to select multiple lights? I realize there may be conflict if a Dimmer and On/Off switch were lumped together, however I would like to associate 4 dimmers with one motion and set the levels with this.

Thanks[/quote]

big517,

You can associate multiple lights with one dimmer by creating a smart switch instance of each light you’d like to control, and then adding the same input sensor to each of the smart switches you just created. (i.e. although a smart switch can only control one light, there’s nothing stopping you from using the same sensor for multiple smart switches)

Hugh

@chixxi

Did you manage to get this working? I could see this being usefull in a lot of scenario’s.

@chixxi

Did you manage to get this working? I could see this being usefull in a lot of scenario’s.[/quote]

I don’t think I ever answered chixxi’s question, so here’s the answer. :slight_smile:

First, in Vera, there is no way to directly determine if a switch was manually activated. The only thing a plug-in “sees” is a change in the device state, and there’s no way to know way for the plug-in to determine what actually caused the change.

However, it is possible to indirectly determine if a change was initiated by the plug-in (i.e. “automatic”) or by some other source. (i.e manually / some other plug-in). The way to do this is to store a second copy of the switch state internally. If the plug-in initiates a change to a switch, it always updates this internal state before sending the change to the switch. Then, every time the plug-in receives notification of a change to the switch state, it can compare the new switch state to it’s internal copy of the switch state. If the new switch state and the plug-ins internal state don’t match, then it can be deduced that the change was initiated by some sort of external source. If the new switch state matches the plug-in state, then it can be deduced that the change was the result of a change made by the plug-in.

Although the logic is conceptually simple, it’s a little tricky to make it work in practice, which is the whole reason I created this plug-in. :slight_smile:

Hugh

I have a Vista 20P connected to Vera 3 via AD2USB. I would like to trigger a 5 min. light in the hallway, when the detector is tripped. How do I capture this event and feed it to Smart Switch?