Set Up User

The documentation talks about being able to set up a user and password as protection for local and I presume external access for HTTP. Where on the local interface is this user set up. In vera 2 local interface it seems I can set up scenes, devices etc but no users ( or am I looking straight through it ). As a last resort it seems the lighttpd.conf in /mios/etc could be changed but there has to be an easier way

When you first login to cp.mios.com, the first tab is marked +Add User. When you click, this instruction set appears:

Important Note: In order to add a new account, you first need to create it.
To do that, please Logout, create the new account, then return to this master account and add the newly created user.

myMiOS username:
User’s email address:
This must match the user’s contact information.

Access level:
Administrator: Let this user control and configure my MiOS system
Guest: This user can control my MiOS system, but can’t save any configuration changes
Notification only: This user can receive notifications, like security breaches, temperature extremes, etc., but cannot control or configure the system

FYI: it is my understanding from earlier posts that these access levels are not functional yet and for now all users have full control, can anyone verify (or refute) this?

If an account is set up as Guest access then it does indeed get to do more that it should when local authentication is turned on and the guest logs in.

For the the OPs question though, if they just want a username and password for when logging in locally, then this is probably enough to secure it.

Go to cp.mios.com, and then settings, then click on the “Require local http authentication” radio button and click save

Ah the penny drops - user is a function of remote mios not local vera. Just to cross topics this doesnt really solve my original problem which in a long winded way is as follows. I have just changed providers who in all their idiocy have provided me with an ADSL router modem which cant be totally bridged which means I cant run PPPOE from the local linux server which is the gateway router to my local network ,ie I have double NAT, vera is sitting off this local network, eth1 connected to my local network gateway router which in turn is connected to the providers modem/router, port 80 forwarded on both boxes

Notwithstanding , I can see into vera from the internet totally unsecure of course. But as much as I try, although all other units on my gateway router (through the ADSL/router) can see the internet vera gives this troubleshoot

External IP:

=== Testing Gateway: 192.168.10.1 ===

GATEWAY:OK
=== Testing DnsServer: 192.168.10.1 ===

DNSSERVER1:OK

=== Testing External Servers ===

GOOGLE.COM:FAIL

sta2.mios.com:FAIL

evt2.mios.com:FAIL
ts2.mios.com TUNNEL CONN:FAIL

fwd2.mios.com:FAIL
fwd2.mios.com TUNNEL CONN:FAIL
SSH_TUNNELS:NONE
== DONE ==

and of course mios cant find vera and I cant set up a remote user ( which was why I thought I could set up a local user) although Vera appears to be able to download the LUUP files so it must have some sort of connection

In a rather unspecific way the docos talk about other ports in the 3000’s and port 22. Could someone confirm what inbound ports need to be open if this is the problem or any other clues as to why every unit on my local network can see the internet - I can see inbound to vera from the net, vera can apparently download luup files from the internet, but the troubleshoot test is still showing a network problem.

PS I know I have to dump the providers modem/router for a bridgeable modem and enable PPPOE but this is a little way off

Below Vera’s ifconfig and routing table( my local gateway 192.168.10.1, vera 192.168.10.60)

br-lan Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:02:8C:85:1F
inet addr:192.168.81.1 Bcast:192.168.81.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:175 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:95 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:29138 (28.4 KiB) TX bytes:25947 (25.3 KiB)

br-lan:0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:02:8C:85:1F
inet addr:192.168.10.60 Bcast:192.168.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:02:8C:85:1F
RX packets:801 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:499 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:109461 (106.8 KiB) TX bytes:174260 (170.1 KiB)
Interrupt:4

eth0.0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:02:8C:85:1F
RX packets:789 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:495 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:94541 (92.3 KiB) TX bytes:166897 (162.9 KiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:21828 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:21828 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:1451868 (1.3 MiB) TX bytes:1451868 (1.3 MiB)

Routing Table

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
192.168.81.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 br-lan
192.168.10.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 br-lan
0.0.0.0 192.168.10.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 br-lan

@pgrover516

Some firmware versions ago it was possible for a “Notification only” user to get to the dashboard … Fixed now.

I have just setup a new Vera2 with UI4. The documentation images show a user tab in the Toolbox, but this is missing. Anyone can access the Vera2 via IP.

The wizard did ask to setup a new user account on Mymios. Once the account is created and assigned to your Vera2, you can then request authentication locally and create new web user accounts that can access the device. The password requirement on the mymios website is weak, it is worst than this forum. i.e. you cannot use special characters but on forum you can.

Is it my UI4 that is messed up or is everyone have the ability to access user tab on the UI4 firmware 1.1.1047.

I’m in the same boat as you califragic and dragonlorduk, my Vera 2 dashboard does not have a Users icon in the Toolbox. It’s really irritating…

Not sure what icon are you talking about. As far as I know, the only way to edit users is login in cp.mios.com.

In “MyMios” icon on ToolBox you can see what users are created but you cannot modify it

mcardenas is correct, sounds like you have been misled by obsolete documentation somewhere, unfortunately there is quite a bit of instructions online that are not up to date with current version, there are still people running old versions so that documentation still needs to be available but it could surely be organized more clearly

Mcardenas and pgrover516,

I appreciate your responses! I have setup an admin user via cp.MiOS.com but I have also seen images of the Vera’s MiOS Toolbox that included a Users icon. I assumed that user modification would be available locally on the Vera and the aforementioned image helped reiterate that idea. But since user modification is only available via MiOS.com then I guess everything is working properly on my end! :slight_smile:

Thanks again,

berylium