I am sharing the summary of all the mods I did to the Vera Plus to stabilize it and essentially disconnect it (almost completely) from the mios server.
This was done on firmware 7.0.26.01 (1.7.3831) as the latest release had catastrophic issues with secure class devices on my system. In spite of the help I have gotten from hours on the phone with the mcv support team I had not been able to get my vera to be a reliable, set it up and forget it system until now. It took a lot of testing and onion peeling of the system to conclude that vera is trying to do too much with too little. openLuup was one major leap toward stability but the occasional vera crash still were annoying and required interventions.
With all these mods, my vera has not had any luup reload or vera reboots except for the 1st of the month at midnight.
I practically eliminated all the weird “device not detected” and data corruption issues.
I somehow may have also disabled the nightly heal, though I am trying to confirm this as I used to have very random heal events as reported by ALTUI which have not reproduced in a week.
All plugins not relying on the MIOS servers work. All scenes and Lua code, startup Lua all work. I am only disabling the internet connectivity checks and and the underlying services connecting to the mios servers. The App Store which uses regular http calls still works.
What no longer works:
-Firmware automated check with the mios server
-vera notifications (I am using pushover, if you use vera alert, you likely don’t care)
-vera mobile apps as they rely on a remote access relay (I am running everything off of Homewave and openLuup and have stopped using the slow buggy iOS app years ago)
-logging to mios server. All the logs will remain local
The one service I have not been able to disable and still preventing the vera from running completely without the internet is the event server to which the vera sends alerts and accumulate unless either one dumps the files and does a luup reload or allow the vera to connect to its mios event server. This is all in spite of CC agent great help and attempts. The call is unfortunately made within the LuaUPnP program which is the vera engine itself and is a C++ compiled binary.
So here are the mods:
- Unrelated to disconnection but purely for stability/reliabilty, I extrooted the vera
see here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,103140.0.html
The main reasons for doing it are:
a. High number of people, including myself reporting NAND flash failure due to excessive write cycles on a very limited amount of storage.
b. Limited storage has caused havoc on firmware upgrades recently to the point of bricking vera units.
Unfortunately I have only been able to make this work on the VeraPlus. The Vera Edge and older Veras do not seem to want to mount the external drive on boot.
This is low risk for anyone to try since a failure would just make you boot from the original vera NAND flash
Modified 6 files in the /usr/bin folder
a. mios-services.sh Killed the service functions
b. MIOSRestApi.sh Disabled all the MIOS server calls
c. Start_networkmonitor.sh Disabled the network monitor which is a source of Luup reloads, uses resources and is practically useless. It checks for network and internet connectivity and reboots/reloads which is the last thing I wanted it to do. It also seems to slow down the vera
d. sync.time.sh disabled. One of many time sync scripts. This one is redundant and obsolete
e. Start_LuaUPnP.sh Very slight mods to control the service led on the unit. Since network monitor is disabled, this LED would be off even when the vera is up and running. I made it depend on the vera engine only.
f. Rotate_Logs.sh. Removed a nonsensical reload and reboot script which would cause the vera to reboot upon server connection failure even if you have log uploading disabled. I also brute forced disabled the log uploading.
Modified files in /etc/init.d
check_internet, tunnels_manager.sh, wan_failover, cmh-ra, wol, all disabled for obvious reasons.
mios_fix_time.sh, modified to eliminate a strange time reset to Jan1st 2000 but I guess I could disable this script altogether given the number of redundant time resetting scripts.
- Updated the zwave sdk API to 6.81 (in /etc/zwave) to match with the zwave chip firmware. I guess it is either a mistake of the firmware or mcv purposefully wanted to save 20KB of space by keeping a 2 year old version of the file.
I have attached a zip file to decompress and upload on the vera and run modvera.sh which will update all the files and reboot the vera in one shot.
Usage of the file: decompress and SCP into the vera. Copy the entire folder. No SSH into the vera and go into the folder and type the following:
chmod +x modvera.sh
At the end of the script you will get an ash error which is due to the fact that the script deleted itself so you can ignore it.
In combination with openLuup running all my automation and plugins, I now finally have a stable system!