Schlage works most of the time...

Greetings Z-Wave community!

I am looking for advice as I am experiencing a steep learning curve as a new Vera3 owner. I have already installed several devices in my home including my latest Schlage BE369 install. The Schlage deadbolt works for the most part but notice that there is a slight delay in responsiveness and sometimes no response at all. Here are some facts to note:

1. The Schalge has been running for a few days on the network
  2. I can add/remove PINs
  3. I have healed (several times) my network after adding the Schalge to my network
  4. the Schlage is outside the nearest wall towards my detached garage (so it is not far for network connection, although there are two other routes the communication can take place on (see below for topology).
  5. Schlage can execute successfully 3/5 of the time.

Here is my topology:

My Vera3 is in a detached garage that has brick walls but I made sure there were two routes going from the Vera3 to the main household by installing one GE 45605 Duplex Receptacle and one GE 45609 Light Control in the walls of the main part of the house that are NEAREST to the garage. So far all but two devices are near perfection in regards to reliable communication across the Z-Wave network.

The paths to the Schalge:

1. Direct (which can be a bit spotty): Vera3 → Schlage
  2. Via GE 45609: Vera3 → 45609 → 45609 → Schlage
  3. Via GE 45605: Vera3 → 45605 → 45609 → 45609 → Schlage

My questions are:

1. I looked on Schlage’s site and they claim compatibility with GE/Jasco devices but must “be Z-Wave 5.02 Series or Later”. What does this mean? When I look at the Node Versions of the 45609s I get: 6,2,97,3,20 which, based on the Micasaverde Wiki link: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/ZWave_Debugging#Node_version
    Is not of the 5.02 series or later. Am I looking at the correct info? I am perplexed…

2. Can anyone confirm that they are using the 45605 and/or 45609 with the Schlage BE369 deadbolt successfully?

Rough sketch of layout (see attachment):

Any thoughts? Your help is greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Raul

You are looking at the correct info. There’s a distinction between the Z-Wave version and the Z-Wave serial API version. The [tt]2,97[/tt] in the reported string corresponds to serial API version 2.97.

AFAIK, anything 2.48 or greater is new enough to support the locks (i.e. supports beaming and encryption).

See also this wiki page for a mapping of some Z-Wave versions to serial API versions.

(And if this is not confusing enough, Z-Wave version 4.52 (serial API 3.20) is newer than 5.02.)

I had variable results similar to yours using “beaming” modules, etc. I finally moved Vera to a place just 10 feet or so from the Schlage lock and have been happy ever since. My Kwiksets don’t seem to have the same issue.

I had to laugh when I read your description of your topology and routes. After two years of this Z-wave stuff, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s all voodoo, rather than something as established and well defined as you describe.

Hi oTi@,

Thank you for your prompt reply. One question: My GE 45605s (Duplex Outlets) have the following serial API Versions:

6,2,64,1,16: which means Z-Wave Version 2.64, Manufacturer Version 1.16 and the site you reference states:

ZWave 4.27 - Serial API 2.40: 2008-06-02 stable, but no security
ZWave 5.02 - Serial API 2.48: 2008-08-15 first support for security, not stable
ZWave 5.02 sp2 - Serial API 2.64: 2009-01-13 fixed most bugs, but still had problem with tx buffer dying
ZWave 5.02 sp3 - Serial API 2.78: 2009-07-10 stable version that supports security

Is my 2.64 version “secure beaming” compliant?

Funny thing is that one of my 45605s is 6,1,91,1,11, which would NOT be able to pass the secure signals…

thanks again.

@cmrancho,

I am slowly realizing that it is voodoo indeed! Coming from an IT background, having things defined and established is a must. There appears to be more variables involved (including the unknown and inconsistent variables) when it comes to Z-Wave. Fortunately, my experience with systems has given me somewhat of an edge on this Z-Wave stuff!

cheers.