Schlage longevity?

I’ve had both a Schlage lever and a dead bolt literally die on me within the month. Both were about 6 years old (The Radio Shack clearance). One worked in the AM and was dead in the evening. They other died overnight. I’m using good quality (kirkland) alkaline batteries and tested the ones in the lock and fresh ones. Even the current ones tested at least 70% charged. I even brought back a pack of industrial quality AA’s from work. same result.

Symptoms. No lights, no response to number presses. Refreshing batteries brings no relief.

I noticed all the electronics appearing to be in the outside part of the lock which is exposed to the Florida heat and humidity. I wonder why they were designed like this as it would make more sense to be on the inside. To make matters worse, it does not seem Schlage has a lifetime warranty on the electronics.

Guess I’m gonna have to replace them. Kwikset is not an option so that leaves Yale. Anybody have experience with those in hot/humid climates? On that note, anybody have similar experiences with Schlage that I’m having? I’m now looking at my remaining 2 ones with a very weary eye…

Hmm, I was just considering one of the key-less locks such as the Yale YRD246 since it has Z-wave plus. But your experience makes me question the ‘key-less’ part - that could be catastrophic unless there is another way to enter the home. That’s a terrible failure mode. Maybe go with the YRD226 which has the key.

I’m in FL too but using Kwikset 910. No issues with heat/humidity and the motor mechanism is on the inside. When this like dies I planned for something new and came down to Schlage or Yale. I prefer the ones with inside components. Unfortunately I can’t help beyond that.

Luckily mine have a key. The batteries are on the inside but as far as I can tell (without taking the lock housings apart) the electronics appear to be on the outside part based on the shape and dimensions of the inside and outside housing.

Whatever replacement I end up choosing, it will have a key backup as I will not trust a battery operated lock with no sort of mechanical backup method (eg a key).

Update: work has been crazy so I finally was able to contact Schlage. Who referred me to their warranty.

Residential Applications
Lifetime Limited Mechanical & Finish Warranty and 1-Year Limited Electronics Warranty
Subject to the terms and conditions of this warranty, Schlage extends a lifetime limited mechanical and finish warranty and a one-year limited electronics warranty to the original consumer user (?Original User?) of our Schlage brand product (?Product?) against defects in material and workmanship, as long as the Original User occupies the residential premises upon which the Product was originally installed.

My whole house is Schlage locks but if any of them break, the replacement will no longer be a Schlage product.

I just found a Yale Lever lock on sale for $159 to replace the broken Schlage rear door lever. It’s handle kinda matched the Schlage ones so that is a plus. BH has other Yale z-wave locks on sale as well around that price.

Although I currently run Kwickset 910’s and have no failure I like the lack of a key lock just to add a hair bit more security even though I don’t think it would make any difference to a criminal trying to break in (he’s most likely not going to pick a key lock). Also for those that are worried about lock failure and not having a key, do you guys only have one lock on the exterior of the house? I have several z-wave locks on the exterior and some people have garages and other entry points. I would assume that a lock failure would be a minor inconvenience only 1 time. I could even swap the broken front door lock (which ever is the main) to the rear or a less used patio/side door position in a matter of 5-10 min with only a screwdriver (I would only swap the electronic parts and keep the z-wave card in the same position). I don’t see not having a key as a huge deal breaker knowing you can go around to another door and manually unlock it from the inside if it quit.

BOFH sounds like your running your list of options dry as you explained both Kwickset and Schlage (two big players and reputable companies) have seemed to rub you the wrong way for some reason. Yale is also a great company and hopefully Yale is your answer.

My problem with Kwikset is that they can be easily programmed by anybody with access to the inside component of the lock. As unlike Schlage and Yale, they don’t require a programming code (password) to program in a PIN. So if you eg throw a party or have contractors in, one of them can easily and quickly set themselves a PIN to access your home at a later date.

As for Schlage, I’m not happy that an $250 lock only lasts me about 6 years before the electronics break down and render the zwave and key code part of the lock useless. (which is what I plonked own my money for) Unlike their lifetime warranty on the mechanicals and finish, only 1 year is offered on the most important part, the electronics. Leaving me with a plain key operated lock. Now if it was 1 out of the 4 I would have called it bad luck. But 2 out of 4 with the 3rd one starting to have keypad issues? That smacks of bad design. I did some more digging and it does seem all the electronics are in the part that’s on the outside of the door. Exposed to the Florida heat and humidity and all. The only lock out of the 4 that’s still working nominally is the one between the house and the garage. Where the lock is not exposed to the elements.

I can’t see spending $250 a lock to replace these with the same model. A model that most likely will have the same issues in 5 to 6 years. I’ll probably leave the front door lock and use the key (as 80% of the time I enter/leave via the garage). But I’m replacing the back door one with the Yale one so I don’t get locked out if one of my dogs jumps against the door and locks us all out with the current Schlage lock’s electronics being dead and a key needed.

Most lock problems are from dirt and corrosion. Regular squirts with Lockeze (a liquid graphite compound pressure spray) gets the going. Five years no problem. In addition to 105 degrees sun on the door we also get winter freezes here in DC. Also use Lithium batteries for their “oomph”.

I’m sure this has happened to Zero people, but if anyone changes or adds a pin code I get an instant notification as part of the kwikset set alarms. You can also remotely delete or change a pin if your not home when this happens. I would be more screwed in this case if I had a keyed door (which I do) and if someone in your scenario above got ahold of any keys or spare keys in the house while they were snooping around or playing macgyver.

One way I would catch them in the act, the keys I would have no proof and might not notice for some time after.

I would also like to point out this information is no longer true in the newer models.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/BDHHI/914-programming-troubleshooting

As scene in this manual for the 914 lock. Section 1 Paragraph A it says the following.

Using a Mastercode is an optional, added-security measure. It is not enabled by default. A Mastercode is used to add and delete user codes, but it cannot unlock the door (unless the same code is programmed as a user code, though this is not recommended). The Mastercode must be 4-8 digits.

EDIT:
Even the 910 model, looking at the manual online shows the same features, but I have some old 910 models and I don’t think I have this function (havent tried yet) so I would assume the newer models or firmware updated models have allowed this. I just might give kwikset a call tomorrow to find out when this was added and if it’s possible on older models as well.

I just installed a new Kwikset and it has the option of adding a master code without which one cannot change the code on the lock itself. One can change it on the Vera so a renter could get into your Vera and change it unless you secured you Vera locally

Good to hear that hole is plugged as that puts Kwikset back on the list. If I find a good price on one, I’ll give it a try.

I called Kwikset today. They said that was added around 2.5 years ago. My older 910’s don’t have it and there is no way to add it as the main board is different.

Getting older is somewhat of a curse. Especially when CRS strikes. ::slight_smile: I just remembered someone gave me a most of a BE369 a few years back that was mostly only both mountings for the door. Took some digging but I found it and used it to replace the inside and outside mountings of the broken BE369. Crossed my fingers and put in fresh batteries. Heard the soft beep indicating the lock was operational. I was able to program a PIN directly and it’s working. Working on adding it to Vera now. Waste not, want not. Don’t even mention the H word.

The Yale I ordered for the backdoor also came in. It has a nice heft to it. A bit more convoluted to install than a Schlage but it should not be to hard. I like that the zwave radio is a plugin module and that the main electronics are on the inside of the door. I will miss the lock/unlock button with the red/green LED indicating status. The Yale has a twisty knob in the handle.

Which Yale lock did you go with? I am looking at the YRD226-ZW2 as it has Z-wave Plus, but it is pricey.

I grabbed the YRL210-ZW-619 that was on sale at B&H photo for $159. I doubt it’s z-wave plus but to me that’s no big deal…