Schlage Deadbolt - "Lock button is pressed" event not triggering

Hi,

This is my first post here so first let me say hello to everyone and thanks for the wealth of information I have already found in these forums.

First off is my setup info …
1)Vera 2 running 1.1.1245
2) Schlage Deadbolt
3) A bunch of z-wave wall switches (GE brand - thanks RS clearance!)

I have all the devices setup and commuicating and I am able to have scenes that are triggered by ‘PIN code entered’ event, however I cannot seem trigger anything with the ‘Lock button is pressed’ event. My goal here is to have a house exiting routine that will turn off my the lights when the door is locked from the outside, but the only way I have made this work so far (as suggested in another post) is to have a PIN that is dedicated to triggering the exit event and use that rather then the simple lock button to engage the deadbolt. While this is a workable solution, it does take away some of the simplicity.

I have followed the instructions to putty into the Vera and grep the log to trace the 04/08 event types and I am able to see the PIN entered transimissions from the deadbolt as they occur (and the corresponding events triggered), but I do not see anything at all being transmitted by the deadbolt for just the ‘Lock button pressed’. As part of the my troubleshooting, I have already removed the device from the vera/z-wave network, factory reset the lock, then re-added the deadbolt using full power inclusion, but I am still unable to see anything for this particular event.

My question is, should I be seeing something in the logs corresponding to the ‘Lock button pressed’? I am wondering if this flag is specific to the lever-lock style and not the deabolt style locks and that is why it doesn’t seem to even transmit?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tom

Look at post #19 in this thread:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5462.15

Thanks! Somehow I missed that in my searches on the topic. At least I know it’s not just me.

Till MiCasaVerde fixes the issue, you’ll probably have to do what others have done- create a scene activated by a special “exit PIN” that includes all your turn on or turn off actions.

Awesome idea.

I have been brainstorming how to determine if someone is leaving. Garage door open & lock engaged may cover 90% of the situations accurately, but not always. An exit pin, or even better a working ‘lock’ press is great.

I prefer an “Exit PIN” setup anyway- because there’s many times where I leave the house but others are still home and I don’t want the house to go into “away” mode while it’s still occupied because I pressed the lock button.

We have to remember this too: there’s some ambiguity as to what the “lock button” is on the Schlage products- because they have two different products, a deadbolt and a lever lock…

-The Schlage Deadbolts have the “Schlage” button on the top of the keypad- and it must be pressed to engage the clutch so you can turn the deadbolt mechanism to lock the door from the outside when exiting the house.
The Schlage Deadbolts do not have an actual “lock” button on them.

-The Schlage lever locks also have the “Schlage” button on the top of the outside keypad- but it’s only for programming and keypad illumination.
The lever locks do have actual “lock” & “unlock” buttons on the inside door plate. They lock and unlock the lever lock mechanism from the inside.

So we have two different products by the same manufacturer who share a common button which has different functions on either product but use the same programming file to define the device- so that’s a problem (and one of the products has two buttons that the other product doesn’t have!).

I guess technically for right now- if you have a Schlage Deadbolt- you don’t have a “lock” button.
If you have the Schlage Lever Lock- you do have “lock” and “unlock” buttons.

Does this make sense???

They really could use a unique device file for both of the Schlage products to take advantage of the “Schlage” button and “lock” and “unlock” buttons on these two unique devices.

I was under the impression that:

• ‘A door is opened’ maps to the (indoor) unlock button on the lever.
  • ‘A door is closed’ maps to the (indoor) lock button on the lever.
  • ‘Lock button is pressed’ is (therefore) intended to cover the (outdoor) Schlage button on the deadbolt.

[quote=“oTi@, post:7, topic:168166”]I was under the impression that:

• ‘A door is opened’ maps to the (indoor) unlock button on the lever.
  • ‘A door is closed’ maps to the (indoor) lock button on the lever.
  • ‘Lock button is pressed’ is (therefore) intended to cover the (outdoor) Schlage button on the deadbolt.[/quote]
    Looking at the xml file for D_DoorLock1 seems that “A door is opened or closed” is mapped to a single sensor and it only returns a 1 or a 0.

event_1":{ “label”: “A door is opened or closed”, “serviceId”: “urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:DoorLock1”, “argumentList” : { “argument_1” : { “dataType”: “boolean”, “defaultValue”: “”, “allowedValueList” : { “Opened” : “0”, “Closed” : “1” }, “name”: “Status”, “comparisson”: “=”, “prefix”: “Which mode”, “suffix”: “” } } }

I remember looking at my Deadbolt- and there was a cam that pointed to the 12 o’clock position with the word “normal” printed in the plastic housing- then when you activated the deadbolt either in or out the can rotated to the 9 o’clock or 3 o’clock position. I believe that’s the sensor where the “status” is returned.
Makes sense when you consider the deadbolts don’t have a lock or unlock button (which the lever locks do) but still “A door is opened or closed” function works.

So in this scenario, I need to add another pin (ex 9876). The 9876 will still unlock the deadbolt, but I create a cene that will re-lock it plus do other ‘away’ activities such as lights. Or is there a way to set up a pin that will not unlock the lock?

So in this scenario, I need to add another pin (ex 9876). The 9876 will still unlock the deadbolt, but I create a cene that will re-lock it plus do other ‘away’ activities such as lights. Or is there a way to set up a pin that will not unlock the lock?[/quote]
You have the deadbolt right?
When you exit the house you usually press the “Schlage” button then turn the deadbolt to lock the door. Now, instead of pressing the “Schlage” button just punch in 9876 and turn the deadbolt to lock the door. Your “exit” scene will run and the door will be locked… no additional scenes needed to re-lock the door cause you just locked it.

When you create your “exit” scene- in the “events” tab use the “A PIN code is entered” event and under that list the pin code number (not the actual 4 digit pin code, use the # of the PIN code- in my case the 9876 PIN code was #7- leave out the # in the field entry).

Just ran some tests on my Schlage deadbolt-

• The “Schlage button” does nothing that Vera can see at this time- it’s not related to the ‘Lock button is pressed’ function, it’s pretty much useless to us for events, etc.
  • The ‘A door is opened’ and ‘A door is closed’ 0 or 1 value is sent to Vera when the deadbolt tongue is slid out or in via turning the deadbolt “Outside Thumbturn”.

These results are for the deadbolt only, I haven’t tested the “'Lock button is pressed” function on the Schlage lever lock yet… hopefully it will work there cause the lever lock actually has “lock buttons” that the deadbolt doesn’t have.

This works perfectly. Thank you!

Does anyone know if this was ever ‘fixed’? I would really like to be able to distinguish locking the door from the inside vs. the outside. I can not rely on an exit PIN to be entered by guests (housekeeper, nanny, etc.) when they can just hit the Schlage button.

I don’t think so. I’ve never gotten “lock button was pressed” events from my BE469.