Scene to check that my doors are closed

I am trying ( not to well ) to make a scene that all my doors and windows are closed sort of like a walk through if you will. I loaded the combination switch and set it to closed but I do not know how to create the scene please help.
Ilan

See if this helps.

See also this thread which looks like exactly the same issue.

the first one was helpful the second one was one that i didn’t get anywhere with so i re posted sorry

still cant get it to work this is how I have it set up as

I have a combination switch with one door contact rign now in it. the combination switch is open when the contact is broken. Now as i said I want to get a email or a text ever 3 hours letting me know the status of my house, in this example its if my door is open or closed. next i went to automation started a new scene. On the Device tab i selected the combination switch. next i went to trigger its set up like this Device: #153 “Combination Switch Locked”
What type of event is the trigger?: Poked while virtual switch is on
Name for this trigger:
Optional: Which of the following users should be notified when the event occurs?:
eli167
next I went to schedules
Name for this schedule
Interval based: Example: Do something every x minutes, or every other hour
Every 3 hours
and in the active tab it has this

Scene is ‘active’ when all devices in the scene are properly set
Pick a device: - Please select -
Delay: Immediate
Combination Switch Locked Trigger

You could probably do this pretty easily with a combination of PLEG and Vera Alerts.

One word of warning - some door/window sensors reset their state to untripped after a period of time. I’ve got a Philio PSP03 multi sensor that will tell Vera that the door is closed within a few minutes after it was opened (and left open).

Why not have the multi-switch device notify you the moment one or more of the sensors trips instead? As said, there are sensors that reset themselves after a while.

Create a scene for each of the multi switch buttons and trigger on the status of that button changing to whichever value (ON or OFF) you want to be notified of and have it send the notification.

To do it every x hours is a bit more difficult as there is no real trigger there. You’d have to resort to LUUP code or use PLEG.

If you want to persevere with the Combination Switch approach then note that you will need two scenes.

The first scene has no triggers but has a schedule (every three hours). Its action is to Poke the Combination Switch. The idea of this scene is that it dictates when you want to check the doors and windows for closedness.

The second scene has a trigger (poked while switch is on) but no schedule. This scene will fire only when you want a notification. Tie it to your notification mechanism (Vera Alerts or Prowl or whatever you are doing).

If you are using Vera’s built-in notification mechanism then you can probably eliminate this second scene entirely and just create a notification directly on the Notifications tab of the combination switch.

I asked you some questions on the other thread, the one you created before you started this one, and you haven’t answered them yet. They are still relevant so it’d help you to answer them.

Others here have suggested viable alternative approaches that don’t use Combination Switches. They may be a better fit for you. In particular, think about this “every three hours” business: if you opened a door at 2:59:59 then you’ll get a notification. Are you OK with that? Maybe you want to refine your requirement a bit.

Right now I do get notifications when doors open and close i was looking g for something like before i go to bed is everything closed kind of deal. I will look for the questions I didn’t answer and reply

Futzle what questions did you ask I can not find them

From the last post in that topic:

Does the switch count the closed doors/windows properly? Does the icon change when you open one window? Does anything happen when you manually press the Poke button?

Yes it does sorry didn’t see that question

For goodness’ sake, eli167, some precision in your answers would go a long way to having us help you efficiently. I asked three questions, and there’s no indication to which one(s) “yes it does” applies.

The reason why I wanted to know if it counted your doors properly is to be sure that you’ve configured the conditions in the Combination Switch correctly.

The reason why I wanted to know if the icon changes is to be sure that you’ve configured the threshold in the Combination Switch correctly.

The reason why I wanted to know if pressing the Poke button manually does anything is to see if you have configured the notification properly.

You’ve got a finite number of responses from me before I conclude that you don’t want to be helped. Use that resource efficiently.

U wot m8t?

Futzle thank you for your replies I thought there was only the one question. I will paste your questions and answer below them.
The reason why I wanted to know if it counted your doors properly is to be sure that you’ve configured the conditions in the Combination Switch correctly.

Yes it did count everything correctly.

The reason why I wanted to know if the icon changes is to be sure that you’ve configured the threshold in the Combination Switch correctly.

Yes the Icon did change from a 0/1 too a 1/1

The reason why I wanted to know if pressing the Poke button manually does anything is to see if you have configured the notification properly.

I don’t see it doing anything when I hit the poke button. and for a strange reason then I try to just Run the scene I get no email notification thank you again for your time and help.
Eli

[quote=“eli167, post:15, topic:181481”]…
Yes it did count everything correctly.

Yes the Icon did change from a 0/1 too a 1/1[/quote]

Great. That means that you’ve correctly set up the Combination Switch. (Only “/1”, though, so clearly you’re testing this on only one door/window so far.)

I don't see it doing anything when I hit the poke button. and for a strange reason then I try to just Run the scene I get no email notification thank you again for your time and help.

Right. There’s the problem that you need to sort out. The notification isn’t going out.

You can verify this by changing the action in your “notification” scene into something that (say) changes an unrelated switch in your house to “on” or something. If that works, but your notification doesn’t, then you’ve pinpointed the part of the system to debug.

Related: Vera’s built-in notifications are pretty crummy. If you want something more reliable and configurable then there are plugins that you can try. A lot of people speak highly of Vera Alerts, though I don’t use it personally.