S-F's Progress

[quote=“Bulldoglowell, post:54, topic:179989”]i used old fashioned brute force…

:-X[/quote]

LOL, that’s huge! I can just imagine an installers eyes when they open the box and see that 8)

[quote=“Bulldoglowell, post:54, topic:179989”]i used old fashioned brute force…

:-X[/quote]

Jesus!

What kind of sensors do you use? Do they kill elephants when motion is detected?!

I used these recently:

I tried to use the ones listed near the top of S-F search…but it was a 1 to 1 junction. Not too familiar with them…but the one above worked. Just wish it was more covered.

[quote=“AgileHumor, post:57, topic:179989”]I used these recently:

I tried to use the ones listed near the top of S-F search…but it was a 1 to 1 junction. Not too familiar with them…but the one above worked. Just wish it was more covered.[/quote]

Looks like it wold be easy for it to short to ground.

EDIT:

Actually that one looks pretty good! I can buy it in a combo with a cigarette lighter for a discount! So I can chain smoke cigs inside the house (to relieve the stress of having to deal with all of these damn wires!) while I screw up my system!

Just have to throw an Ian Mercer quote out there to keep people lucid!

A smart home as I define it is one that can act autonomously to increase homeowner comfort, reduce energy consumption and generally just do the right thing. If you have to repeatedly tell your house to do an action that would be obvious to a human being then it?s not smart.

:o

And can’t forget this one!

it can explain why it did it! Any complex system is going to have unpredictable behavior, that?s almost guaranteed in a Goedel-esque kind of way. But when your smart home does something crazy it?s no good calling the author and saying ?it went wrong last night, why?? unless the author has what I have in my house which is a log of what happened and an explanation by the house as to why it happened. My house can, for example, explain that it turned the driveway lights off because it was 9PM and there were no visitors at the house and all of the people who lived there appear to be home.

Eat your heart out Vera.

Yes, he’s definitely the man. That’s why I’m implementing ‘VariableWithHistory’ on all my key sensors [url=http://blog.abodit.com/2013/02/variablewithhistory-making-persistence-invisible-making-history-visible/]http://blog.abodit.com/2013/02/variablewithhistory-making-persistence-invisible-making-history-visible/[/url]

So I mosey on over to Digi-Key and search for terminal block.

Here’s the result:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=terminal+block

here’s the cliff notes for those uninterested in following the link:

Results matching criteria: 103,523

:o

[quote=“S-F, post:61, topic:179989”]So I mosey on over to Digi-Key and search for terminal block.

Here’s the result:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=terminal+block

here’s the cliff notes for those uninterested in following the link:

Results matching criteria: 103,523

:o[/quote]

That’s a lot of terminals. I hope you’ve got a powered screwdriver. ;D

LOL, you might want to try Home Depot, the shipping charges from Digi will kill ya:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-22-10-AWG-8-Circuit-Terminal-Block-GTB-408/202522560

I’d get an 8x block, and either run 2 sets of input wires or “jumper” the inputs on every second terminal.

Should be large enough to fit several wires on the other side of each terminal.

There are better options, but looking a Digi all day will send you blind 8)

Come on the digi-key catalog is almost as good as the old Sears catalog,

+1

When I was a teenager and subsequently a young electrical engineer, getting a new Digi-key catalog was like getting a Playboy mag in the mail ;D

Yeah, I’m a geek.

I’m not following you there. So run power to one or two and then make little jumpers to connect the other six or seven?

The local RadioShack has these for about $2.5 so I’d like to use them.

@Bulldoglowell
Sorry man, If I saw those in a low voltage cabinet, I’d go find my gun! If any of my techs even had those in their toolbox, they would be fired on the spot!

Here is how I use terminal blocks. The right side shows the power wires coming in. Each block is + or -.

You can also just get a block with all terminals joined, so no need to make jumpers. I happen to have these in stock, so I used them.

@Bucko, thank you for that picture. I honestly couldn’t figure out why so many terminals didn’t have the bus bar like this one:

I now realize that using the jumpers is key to using terminal blocks. Seems like more would have the bus bar, but I could only find the uncovered one above.

@Bucko - Maybe if I was in a pinch, but you should be using Blue Sea Systems Terminal Block Jumper for 30A Terminal Blocks instead of the ugly jumpers. You can get blocks with the jumpers already in place, but I can’t find a source on Amazon at the moment.

They aren’t your style, but camera installers like these DSC-TB01, 8 Way Terminal Block Bus Bar,Splits 1 Input to 8 Out

@ bucko,

Good God! Looks nice. I simply don’t have the patience for that kind of thing though.

@Z-Waver,

Wish I’d seen that yesterday before I went and got a regular one from RadioShack. Making and connecting all of those tiny jumpers sucked!

@Z-Waver
" You can get blocks with the jumpers already in place, but I can’t find a source on Amazon at the moment."
That was my problem so I had to make do. However, the next time I’m in Shenzhen blocks are on my short list. Those DSC’s look good. When I find in Shenzhen, they would cost me about $1 each.

Anyway, my current setup is working fine.

For cams I prefer my set up.

What does this mean exactly?

I’m with you bucko, we always use at least an 8 - 16 port camera power supply in a can on our installs. Nice an clean.

@Bucko - Yours are cameras done right! Though I figured you for a PoE IP cam guy.