Rs232 control for beginner

Hi guys

I’m becoming increasingly frustrated with my Vera Edge (UI7) as I need to control two of my devices via RS232 but this seems impossible for someone without programming knowledge.

I have a usb to rs232 adaptor and serial cable connected to the first device… An unbranded HDMI matrix. What I want to do is send simple hex commands to the device via serial. I have the correct baud rate, parity, etc.

I also have a Nuvo Essentia audio distribution system for which there is no plugin and would like to be able to do the same for this if anyone has any experience on this one?

Have read through the forums and there doesn’t appear to be any step by step guide on how to send a serial command or the programming code required.

I’m reasonably savvy but can’t seem to get anywhere. Why is this so hard Vera??

Any help from the community would be much appreciated! If someone could advise the process from ensuring the correct setup of the serial adaptor through to the code to execute sending the command I would be forever grateful!

Hi Chris, unfortunately without a plugin for those devices you will not be able to control them with Vera. Even if you are able to establish communication you then need to have a command structure and interface in place to be able to control them. There are instructions on how to create a plugin at support.getvera.com.

[quote=“ChrisNZ, post:1, topic:193506”]Hi guys

I’m becoming increasingly frustrated with my Vera Edge (UI7) as I need to control two of my devices via RS232 but this seems impossible for someone without programming knowledge.

I have a usb to rs232 adaptor and serial cable connected to the first device… An unbranded HDMI matrix. What I want to do is send simple hex commands to the device via serial. I have the correct baud rate, parity, etc.

I also have a Nuvo Essentia audio distribution system for which there is no plugin and would like to be able to do the same for this if anyone has any experience on this one?

Have read through the forums and there doesn’t appear to be any step by step guide on how to send a serial command or the programming code required.

I’m reasonably savvy but can’t seem to get anywhere. Why is this so hard Vera??

Any help from the community would be much appreciated! If someone could advise the process from ensuring the correct setup of the serial adaptor through to the code to execute sending the command I would be forever grateful![/quote]

I am going to disagree that you need a plug-in - this can be accomplished with relatively simple LUA if you want to write a scene and know the exact hex. But you will have to do a little programming. Personally I would not do the USB to RS232, as that requires physical proximity and sending commands to the Vera serial port. I instead use Global Cache IP2SLs which creates an IP interface on anywhere your network that you can forward the Hex to the RS232 port.

For example on one of my projects, see http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,22695.msg194049.html#msg194049

Thanks for the advice, will play around with it and see what is possible.

Has anyone got a plugin working for a Nuvo audio system?

Any progress with this project, i.e. communicating with a Nuvo system?

If it helps others - I control RS232 devices with Vera by using RaspberryPis running Ser2net (with a usb to serial cable connected to that and then into the target device e.g a HDMI martrix)

The PI then acts as a reference point on my local network for me to send commands to, removing the need for anything to connect directly to Veras USB ports . (See post here for examples of the code I worked with, plus there are quite a few other examples on this forum that will help too)

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,50773.msg329444.html#msg329444

To then carry out commands , I create scenes that run the required code hex, ascii value to the target device - all via the Pi …

yeah ill probably be there to help you ken, do you have the glue for the pvc? and about the lights i have no idea