RollerTrol DC Tubular Motors - RF Control

Hi @strangley, thanks for that info. I figured as much, and I’m sure we’ll be getting into that shortly. It just shows how you can do almost anything with Vera, and how truly versatile it is ;D

BTW, here’s a very interesting and informative history about the evolution of the Lua scripting language by Roberto Ierusalimschy, one of the founding architects. It reveals a lot about why it was an eminently suitable choice for the scripting language of the Vera machine:

Here’s a very nice introduction to learning the Lua scripting language:

http://www.phailed.me/2011/02/learn-lua-the-hard-way-1/

Regards, Adrian

Adrian Biffen
Customer Service
RollerTrol™ Automation Systems

@ Rollertrol, that’s great news. Thanks for informing.

Hi @Henkes, just a note to let you know that the RFXCOM™ USB transceiver has been successfully programmed for use with our remote control motors, we are carrying them as a standard stock item in our online store:

I’ll post a message here once it has been organized.

If I can be of further assistance, please contact me anytime.

Regards, Adrian

Adrian Biffen
Customer Service

I was waiting until motorized blinds got a bit cheaper before jumping in and looks like the time is about right! I already have the RFXtrx, so I might just try an experiment by converting an existing blind to see how this goes!

I’m interested in doing this via battery and solar, but I’d want to be able to make sure that a solar panel isn’t unsightly, and can be concealed easily!

Hi @strangely, thanks for your interest. We think a lot of people will benefit from the capabilities of the RFXcom unit.

We have developed a new motor with a built-in battery that can last for many months. It also comes with a plug-in charger and an optional solar panel designed specifically to fit at the top of the window. All our motors use the same radio protocol, so it will work with the RFXcom USB transceiver dongle.

We’ll have pictures of it soon on our website, I’ll post a link here once it is ready. We should have the first units available in a few weeks, around June 1/2012.

We also have the stand-alone ultra low standby motor that uses any external battery (and solar panel). Here is the list of our blind and shade motors, look for it about halfway down:

That unit gives you the option of using a much bigger battery system, and it has more lift capacity.

Regards, Adrian

Adrian Biffen
Customer Service
RollerTrol Automation Systems

Sounds good, how do you think the prices will compare?

Hi @strangely, they are not much more expensive, considering the battery + charger is included and you have no wiring costs. The ‘mini’ series is $169 and the standard size is $149. The solar panel is $39.

The 8 channel and 14 channel remote controls are the same as usual, but we’ll also be offering kit pricing which will be less than buying everything individually.

Regards, Adrian

[quote=“rollertrol, post:25, topic:170597”]We have developed a new motor with a built-in battery that can last for many months. It also comes with a plug-in charger and an optional solar panel designed specifically to fit at the top of the window. All our motors use the same radio protocol, so it will work with the RFXcom USB transceiver dongle.

We’ll have pictures of it soon on our website, I’ll post a link here once it is ready. We should have the first units available in a few weeks, around June 1/2012.[/quote]

This sounds great, I was just about to ask whether Rollertrol was compatible with the Somfy batteries because I don’t like the additional wiring…

Just to clarify, the best way to get Z-Wave enabled shades (that open to any percentage of open and report back postion and confirmation of movement to Vera) is to use a standard motor and then add one of the controllers I linked from the Wiki in Reply #3 above. Any standard motor will work including the ones RollerTrol offers, the Z-Wave controllers are available in AC and DC and for US and EU frequencies.

Z-Wave is a 2-way radio communication link where as all other radio used to control shades, blinds, or verticals is a 1-way transmission. So shading industry radio motors aren’t going to be compatible with Z-wave unless you use a Z-wave to industry RF bridge like the Somfy ZRTSI.

The only reason I would use a proprietary RF motor and not use Z-Wave is if I had exisitng 1-way radio shades I wanted to match, or I wanted the special “scoll wheel” feature of their proprietary remote (as you mentioned), or I wanted to use their proprietary radio accesories like sun sensors, or I had a special shading product like verticals and I didn’t have many motor choices. Other than those reasons, I recommend using a Z-Wave motor controller and standard motor so you get all of the benefits of bi-directional communication and control and you can easily include your shades into your scenes in Vera.

In a typical motorized shade purchase, the price won’t be much different between the two options, just remember that with the radio motors you should consider the cost of the remotes and the Vera interface (RFXCOM or other) where a Z-Wave enabled shade communicates directly with Vera. The RollerTrol radio motors seem like a good, affordable alternative if you can live without the Z-Wave control. But if you must have Z-Wave then get a RollerTrol Standard Motor and add a DBMZ controller, or if you must have Somfy then use a RS232 relay board and a single channel RTS interface from Somfy. I hope this clears things up.

Just to clarify, the best way to get Z-Wave enabled shades (that open to any percentage of open and report back postion and confirmation of movement to Vera) is to use a standard motor and then add one of the controllers I linked from the Wiki in Reply #3 above. Any standard motor will work including the ones RollerTrol offers, the Z-Wave controllers are available in AC and DC and for US and EU frequencies.

Z-Wave is a 2-way radio communication link where as all other radio used to control shades, blinds, or verticals is a 1-way transmission. So shading industry radio motors aren’t going to be compatible with Z-wave unless you use a Z-wave to industry RF bridge like the Somfy ZRTSI.

The only reason I would use a proprietary RF motor and not use Z-Wave is if I had exisitng 1-way radio shades I wanted to match, or I wanted the special “scoll wheel” feature of their proprietary remote (as you mentioned), or I wanted to use their proprietary radio accesories like sun sensors, or I had a special shading product like verticals and I didn’t have many motor choices. Other than those reasons, I recommend using a Z-Wave motor controller and standard motor so you get all of the benefits of bi-directional communication and control and you can easily include your shades into your scenes in Vera.

In a typical motorized shade purchase, the price won’t be much different between the two options, just remember that with the radio motors you should consider the cost of the remotes and the Vera interface (RFXCOM or other) where a Z-Wave enabled shade communicates directly with Vera. The RollerTrol radio motors seem like a good, affordable alternative if you can live without the Z-Wave control. But if you must have Z-Wave then get a RollerTrol Standard Motor and add a DBMZ controller, or if you must have Somfy then use a RS232 relay board and a single channel RTS interface from Somfy. I hope this clears things up.[/quote]
thank you very much !
this sure clearifies a lot.
so from what i understand of all this is that i need a fibaro http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/device/178 as this seems to have positional data option (there actually same devices all the 211 versions just slightly different firmware.) and a rollertrol tube withouth the remote-RF.

As from adrian’s words on the subject , i find myself confused about the z-wave option they are developing now. Is this z-wave device communication on RF with the RF-motor or is it suppose to be connected directly to the motor whithout RF ?

For solar sensor i can use a 3-in-1 device (ezhome), but it would be much more convinient to have this kinda sensor in for example the soalar panel or maybe on a loose wire with sensor on it , so one can tape/stick it to the outer side of the blinds.
Ideally this zwave device would be multichannel capable and have say 6 groups where one can assign different rooms to steer more then one blind in a per room setup and have sub-devices for light/battery/motion sensors and led-dimming.

Hi @Da_JoJo, here’s an answer to the dilemma re “what one needs to make a good functional system for a few hundred bucks instead of 1000s” …

We have completed our bench testing of the RFXCOM™ unit, and it works flawlessly with our radio remote control window and blind motors. You can use it with any USB enabled device: PC, tablet, phone, etc., and there is a plug-in already available for the excellent Vera web server hub that we distribute. You can also control our window blind motors on a PC with the HomeSeer™ plugin.

We also have an Arduino™ compatible (programmable) LED light controller that can operate LED strip lighting and other DC devices coming out soon that will work with our hand held radio remotes and the RFXCOM transceiver unit.

We have a shipment of RFXCOM transceivers arriving shortly and, if you wish, you can reserve your unit in our online store:

http://rollertrol.com/store/en/vera-home-automation-control/96-rfxcom-usb-transceiver.html

The cost is $US 129.00

Regards, Adrian

Adrian Biffen
Customer Service

@rollerTrol

Your battery operated tubes, are the batteries internal or is it an external battery pack. I am looking at adding some automated blinds and trying to decide what route I want to go.

Thanks
John

Hi John, all our motors are 12v DC so they can all be run by battery. Some of our customers put a big closed-cell RV battery with a trickle charger in the basement somewhere (makes for a good UPS too). Others put a small LiPO battery up in the valance near the motor somewhere.

The key spec to watch is the idle current drawn by the motor, while it ‘listens’ for a command - this can be much more of a factor than the actual operational impact.

Our standard radio series uses typically 20 to 30 mA of standby idle current, but our ultra-low standby motors use 1,000 times less (0.03 mA):

http://rollertrol.com/store/en/74-all-radio-motors (look for ULTRA LOW STANDBY in description)

We also have motors that are self-contained, with built-in rechargeable batteries (in-window solar panel option) that last for many months without needing a recharge (look for BUILT-IN 700 maH RECHARGEABLE BATTERY). No wires!

Regards, Adrian

Adrian Biffen
Customer Service

There’s a bit of step in price between the radio only, and internal battery option, that said, the kits still seem like a good deal compared to other solutions!

I was actually planning on testing one of these out this month (already have an RFXtrx), before committing to more windows, however I had some other overseen expenses, so unfortunately this is going to have to wait until another time :frowning:

Hi John, I agree, the battery motors appear to be more expensive.

But if you really want to compare apples to apples, you should consider the cost of our ultra low standby motors (without battery), because that’s what is inside our battery motors (0.03 mA standby current).

You could also factor in the cost of wiring the non-battery units, which can be substantial.

And don’t forget the long term savings re the constant current consumption, which, over time, will actually result in full payback re cost of unit. This will happen even faster if you use the optional in-window solar panel.

Regards, Adrian

Adrian Biffen
Customer Service

Hello,

I’m looking in builting a gaint sun blind cross 15’ and about 5’ down, will your “Tubular Motor (radio), 48 lb lift” do the job?

does it comes with the DC power supply and the remote? or something i need to buy in addition?

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian, thanks for your interest. Our DC MAXI motors will easily handle something that size. We have a starter kit that includes everything you would need, please see this page:

http://rollertrol.com/store/en/diy-motorized-window-blind-kits/107-maxi-motor-shade-starter-kit.html

It comes with motor, 5 amp power supply, mounting brackets, tube end idler, 8 channel remote

It is also compatible with Vera using our new USB transceiver plugin.

Regards, Adrian

Adrian Biffen
Customer Service

[quote=“gwaijai888, post:36, topic:170597”]Hello,

I’m looking in builting a gaint sun blind cross 15’ and about 5’ down, will your “Tubular Motor (radio), 48 lb lift” do the job?

does it comes with the DC power supply and the remote? or something i need to buy in addition?

Thanks

Brian[/quote]

Brian, FYI a 1.75" tube will not span 15’ without deflecting (sagging) in the middle, even with a shorter 5’ drop. I recommend you either split the shade into two 7.5’ shades, or increase the tube diameter to 60mm to span 15’ without deflection (being aware that increasing the tube diameter will reduce the lift capacity of the motor, but with an 8 Nm motor you have power to spare).

Hi Brian, @shady makes a good point here. We have found that EMT conduit works well for larger systems, it is much stronger than aluminum.

Regards, Adrian

We’d like to thank all of you that have contributed to the success of our RollerTrol product line. Here are a few more resources, adding to the information already available on our main website.

Please note that we have ‘future proofed’ our radio motors with a system for Vera (or Homeseer) that can learn RF codes. Vera and VeraLite are powerful home automation controllers that run as a web server on your local LAN and/or wifi network. You can control your home with smartphone, tablet, PC or any web enabled device. Access your home or cottage remotely from any location via browser using a secure encrypted system. More info can be seen here:

Vera Wifi Blind & Shade Controller (Blind Motors: extend remote control with USB transmitter)

Please check out our new motor products page for recent additions to our product line:

Battery Operated DIY Motorized Blinds/shades (rechargeable battery motors)

http://rollertrol.com/store/en/6-12v-tubular-radio-motor-maxi (our ‘MAXI’ heavy lift motor series - good for lifting heavy aquarium lids, etc.).

Regards, Adrian
Customer Service