Remotec ZTS-100 problems

Does anyone have any experience with this thermostat using Vera and UI4?

It’s listed as supported hardware on the wiki, and it all appears to be working from a z-wave perspective, appearing on the Vera web interface and the various applications I use (Authomation and Home Buddy) correctly as thermostat devices.

It also appears to work when controlled via Vera most of the time, however it has a currently fatal problem where under some (unknown) circumstances it gets itself in a knot and appears to be stuck partway through a setpoint override function, with the display cycling between showing the ambient and target temperatures and all thermostat functionality suspended. The only way out of this is a factory reset or a power cycle (currently running it on batteries so basically remove and replace).

It also seems to suddenly set the clock hour incorrectly for no apparent reason, on the two days since it was installed this happened around 10PM each night, changing it back to 6AM.

There is no scheduled automation of any sort set up in Vera for this device.

I’ve been in touch with the supplier who suggests it is faulty (as it would appear) and will replace it, but I’m wondering if there could be some z-wave related problem causing this, like commands being sent faster than it can handle or similar, which would mean I’ll have the same issue with a replacement.

Thanks for any insight, I know nothing about how Vera internally deals with thermostat devices or how the apps might be sending commands, so apologies if my questions are naive.

Cheers,

Dennis

Just to update this. I received a replacement unit from the supplier and so far it appears that it doesn’t exhibit the same problems and that the original unit was in fact faulty.

It appears to all work fine with Vera, but because of the limited availability so far of thermostats in Australia I’ve got nothing to compare this to in terms of functionality. However inclusion was simple and painless (UI4) and the controls on the web interface all appear to work as expected.

Only issue I’ve noticed so far is that AutHomation’s thermostat implementation appears to not handle the manual fan control correctly, whereas Home Buddy’s does.

Overall for any Australian readers this appears to be a good thermostat solution. For one, it’s actually available as opposed to any others I’ve seen advertised which are all ‘coming soon’ and have been for 6 months or more. Compared to the other main option I’ve seen (a Wayne Dalton-based unit it would appear) it doesn’t require 24V power (but can use it), is fully programmable, has a nicer display and buttons and is not at all flimsy (a complaint I’ve seen about the WD units).

Spoke too soon. After 1 day of operating seemingly correctly it suddenly started exhibiting the same symptoms as the previous one. This may coincide with me adding scenes to Vera that referenced the device. No idea why/how that should matter but it’s the only possible difference in environment I can see from when it was correctly responding to all sorts of manual and z-wave initiated changes to settings.

So I’m back to my original request about whether anyone can imagine what sort of things Vera’s thermostat device could possibly send that might cause something like this.

I suspect no-one is interested but I’ll keep updating this thread with info as I get it, just in case someone else in future is looking to use these thermostats.

It’s looking likely that part of the problem here is with the implementation of COMMAND_CLASS_CLOCK either in the ZTS-100 or in UI4. The thermostat reports this as a capability and from UI release notes I’ve stumbled across it would appear that Vera periodically attempts to set the clock on any devices that report this capability. Can anyone confirm that?

My suspicion is that receiving clock-setting commands is (at least) causing the time change, possibly due to the ZTS-100 not handling some (irrelevant) timezone information or similar, since the change offset seemed to be a consistent number of hours only. To test this theory I’ve manually removed the capability from the device list under Vera to see what happens.

MiOS does set the time on devices that advertise it. The Trane TStats do this, for example, and work well.

Thanks for the confirmation guessed. I removed that capability from the device and it does appear to have stopped the periodic setback of the time by a fixed number of hours. However the device is still randomly resetting itself and the supplier has confirmed to me that they have found ‘a software error’ which is being worked on. Clearly any mishandling of COMMAND_CLASS_CLOCK is not the only issue though so will have to wait and see whether the revised device performs better. I’m hoping so, as it will be a good thermostat if it’s made reliable.

I forgot to explicitly mention in my previous response that the retailer had advised me that the manufacturer’s R&D people (presumably at Remotec) had advised that they were aware of a ‘software fault’ and that revised devices were going to be shipped within a few weeks. Hopefully their identified bug will account for all of the strange behaviour I’ve seen. Frankly though, as an engineer I’m staggered that this device made it through QA in its current state. Unless this behaviour is somehow confined to UI4, which is hard to imagine, then it would be unusable in any installation, even as a non-zwave thermostat. I really hope their revision fixes it though, as it will be a good device if it works reliably, especially in the choice-starved Australian market.

Is this an Australian zwave device?if so where did you source it?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Yes it is. I got it from zwave.com.au. They’ve removed them from sale until the issues are resolved. I believe new stock with the issues fixed is due around 20/9/12 and initially will be going to replace existing faulty devices.

[quote=“baxy_AU, post:8, topic:172230”]Is this an Australian zwave device?if so where did you source it?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

If you are looking for a thermostat to intergrate with Vera, you do not need to restrict yourself to z-wave. The other option is a wifi thermostat like the 3m-50 which there is a vera plugin. They can be enrolled on you home network and there are smartphone apps or web interfaces as well. They can be found on eBay new for considerable less including shipping to Australia for less then a z-wave thermostat purchased here… Food for thought.

[quote=“Brientim, post:10, topic:172230”][quote=“baxy_AU, post:8, topic:172230”]Is this an Australian zwave device?if so where did you source it?

If you are looking for a thermostat to intergrate with Vera, you do not need to restrict yourself to z-wave. The other option is a wifi thermostat like the 3m-50 which there is a vera plugin. They can be enrolled on you home network and there are smartphone apps or web interfaces as well. They can be found on eBay new for considerable less including shipping to Australia for less then a z-wave thermostat purchased here… Food for thought.[/quote]

Have you any experience in using something like this to control split reverse-cycle A/C systems used in Australia?

No, I have not set it up against a split system. I do have it setup for a central gas heating but it is not set up against my central evaporative cooling system due to they do not follow normal wiring protocols.

Now the main point that needs to be understood is the powering of these types of thermostats to power either the z-wave or wifi. In my case, it has as separate 24v power supply to achieve this. So, even though they may be able to control an air conditioner, you may need to provide an external power source if you wish to use z-wave or wifi… You should determine if that is the case whichever way you go.

[quote=“Brientim, post:12, topic:172230”]No, I have not set it up against a split system. I do have it setup for a central gas heating but it is not set up against my central evaporative cooling system due to they do not follow normal wiring protocols.

Now the main point that needs to be understood is the powering of these types of thermostats to power either the z-wave or wifi. In my case, it has as separate 24v power supply to achieve this. So, even though they may be able to control an air conditioner, you may need to provide an external power source if you wish to use z-wave or wifi… You should determine if that is the case whichever way you go.[/quote]
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have been looking for a way to remotely control my AC system do you know if the split type systems can be connected to these thermostats…also do they all use a common way to do it?
Thanks

[quote=“Brientim, post:10, topic:172230”][quote=“baxy_AU, post:8, topic:172230”]Is this an Australian zwave device?if so where did you source it?

If you are looking for a thermostat to intergrate with Vera, you do not need to restrict yourself to z-wave. The other option is a wifi thermostat like the 3m-50 which there is a vera plugin. They can be enrolled on you home network and there are smartphone apps or web interfaces as well. They can be found on eBay new for considerable less including shipping to Australia for less then a z-wave thermostat purchased here… Food for thought.[/quote]

Yep I have considered those, and may well do so again if the Remotec doesn’t pan out. Wifi is somewhat less robust than z-wave but it does have the advantage of freeing you from z-wave frequency restrictions.

Yep I have considered those, and may well do so again if the Remotec doesn’t pan out. Wifi is somewhat less robust than z-wave but it does have the advantage of freeing you from z-wave frequency restrictions.[/quote]

Actually not sure there’s much price advantage having looked a bit. You’re looking at $120-130 shipped for a 3M-50 it seems, so $150 for a locally supported z-wave device with integrated vera support is still more attractive to me if it works properly.