Remote serial port

Actually this problem is becoming quite tiresome - I just discovered that when I upload an updated D_ file,
the device doesn’t get updated - I have to create a new one to see the changes. Delete doesn’t work either…

I just discovered that when I upload an updated D_ file

That doesn’t seem possible, since Vera’s not caching the device files. Are you sure you checked the box on the upload page to restart the Luup engine? If not, just click ‘save’ even if it’s gray to restart the Luup engine. You can tail the log for lines ‘^03’ to see when the engine is starting/stopping. Everytime it starts, it reads in the D_ files. I’ll look at why deleting a device isn’t working.

I click Save every time I upload XMLs.

Files are updated fine, but it doesn’t necessarily mean the existing devices are recreated from scratch when updated D_ file uploaded, does it?
There’s something about devices having child devices - they can’t be deleted, and I strongly suspect they can’t be updated by change of their D_ file.

I confirmed in 789 you can delete files without a problem, including parent/child devices.

Everytime you click ‘save’ the Luup engine restarts and the UPNP definitions are re-created from scratch. Nothing is ‘cached’. So any changes you make will be there after you click save, including new device types, services, changes to the arguments, etc. The web ui checks every 30 seconds or so for updates from the engine, so it may not update instantly, but you can always just reload the page.