Quick tutorial: Changing Icons in AltUI (OpenLuup)

Because it took me just a little too long for such an easy task, I thought I’d share it with others. Just a couple of easy steps:

1. In AltUI, go to the device for which you want to change the icon and go to the “Attributes” view.

2. Look for the attribute “device_json” and take a note of the json file.

3. Use for example WinSCP to download the file from the host you are running OpenLuup. It’s probably in the “cmh-ludl” folder.

4. Edit the json file and change the value of the tag “default_icon” to the icon file name you want to use (I think it should be a png-file).

5. Upload the newly saved json file to OpenLuup in the same directory as where it came from.

6. Upload the icon file to the directory “cmh-ludl/icons”.

7. Reload Luup engine and refresh. And you’re done.

Thanks RHCPNG,

I’ve been meaning to try to figure out why certain icons in AltUI were using the standard ZWave icon.

But,
Probably due to my linux noob factor, trying to copy the modified .json file back to the openLuup folder (cmh-ludl/files) in WinSCP gives the error:

openLuup on the Raspberry Pi3: (original image build courtesy of @CudaNet)

scp: /home/pi/vera/cmh-ludl/files/D_LightSensor1.json: Permission denied

openLuup on VirtualBox VM (original image build courtesy of @CudaNet)

scp: /home/test/vera/cmh-ludl/files/D_LightSensor1.json: Permission denied

Hopefully it’s just my lack of knowledge (su, sudo, etc.) Hopefully NOT a permissions problem in my folder structure

FYI,

C

[quote=“ChrisTheC, post:2, topic:198350”]Thanks RHCPNG,

I’ve been meaning to try to figure out why certain icons in AltUI were using the standard ZWave icon.

But,
Probably due to my linux noob factor, trying to copy the modified .json file back to the openLuup folder (cmh-ludl/files) in WinSCP gives the error:

openLuup on the Raspberry Pi3: (original image build courtesy of @CudaNet)

scp: /home/pi/vera/cmh-ludl/files/D_LightSensor1.json: Permission denied

openLuup on VirtualBox VM (original image build courtesy of @CudaNet)

scp: /home/test/vera/cmh-ludl/files/D_LightSensor1.json: Permission denied

Hopefully it’s just my lack of knowledge (su, sudo, etc.) Hopefully NOT a permissions problem in my folder structure

FYI,

C[/quote]

That?s because another user created the file and you are probably using the ?test? user.

One possibility is to delete the file on the VM first. Or upload the file first with another name and then log in with putty and delete the old file and rename the new one.

The permission denied is for the whole folder /home/pi/vera/cmh-ludl/files/ on the RPi

So I uploaded the modified .json file to the /cmh-ludl folder.
Used PuTTY with sudo su to cp the modified file to the /cmh-ludl/files folder.

Success! Thanks for the tips

Learning Linux . . .

Thanks,
Chris