Plug-in for ecobee thermostats in development

If Ecobee no longer supports TLS 1.0 (can be checked again at SSL Server Test: api.ecobee.com (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs) but last I checked they only supported TLS 1.2), and UI5 does not support TLS 1.2 (needs some research to be sure but your 1.9 experience presents that as a possibility), then it might be that UI5 can no longer be used. If I were you I would try to again remove and install 1.9 just to get a sense that the plugin installation worked, and have a look at your log file.

watou[/quote]

ecobee did get back to me
tls 1.0 is no longer allowed

it must connect using tls 1.2 version

v2.11 released which eliminates ghost disconnection from API response errors.

@rafale77 . Checking your github and only see the 1.2 fix from 12 days ago. Is the v2.11 located somewhere else ?

It is actually a formal release on github. Are you looking at my fork?

I am noticing this error coming up after a day or two. I cannot find anything searching. It seems to go away for a short time after a reboot or creating a new pin.

ecobee : Error: create function not permitted: no valid JSON value (reached the end)

Not sure if it is something just I am seeing or possibly others using the latest @rafale77 fork

[quote=“niharmehta, post:805, topic:174457”]I am noticing this error coming up after a day or two. I cannot find anything searching. It seems to go away for a short time after a reboot or creating a new pin.

ecobee : Error: create function not permitted: no valid JSON value (reached the end)

Not sure if it is something just I am seeing or possibly others using the latest @rafale77 fork[/quote]

This is the problem I described as the intermittent ?ghost? disconnection which goes away by a retry. I doubt that it is unique to my fork because I did not change anything to the communication code from watou and is likely a bug in the ecobee API. The retry loop in case of failure seems to decrease the frequency for me but does not completely eliminate it. When you get the error, just send another command (example change housemode) and it goes away. I am looking at increasing the delay between the retries to see if it helps. Testing is underway.

A quick update on the testing. It appears somehow that the plugin intermittently sends an empty table to the API or that the API believes it is receiving an empty json. I haven’t yet figured out why. I am testing another level of retry. It seems like the empty json occurs only when I am running a scene with a house mode change and many other things at the same time which makes me suspicious of some timing issue. I this still fails, I will test running all of the API calls with a slight delay in my scene to see if it gets rid of the problem. Because it is fairly rare, the problem is taking time to figure out.

What about for new users?

I just got a ecobee4 - I first tried 1.9 from vera app store. Tried “get pin” button - no response… waited and again non.

Manually installed latest from github… not have API Key field. I registered as a developer, got an API Key… and now get “ecobee : Error: invalid protocol: no valid JSON value (reached the end)”

Waited, retry, overnight, retry… same message. Uninstalled app, same procedure same error. Tried delete App on ecobee and created new… same error.

Seems like other have gotten it to work IF they already had installed and working… anyone else experience this? Work around?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Hi Paul,

What unit are you installing this on? Supposing it is a vera what is the firmware version?

[quote=“rafale77, post:809, topic:174457”]Hi Paul,

What unit are you installing this on? Supposing it is a vera what is the firmware version?[/quote]

Sorry - had it in my original post that I lost

Vera 3
UI7 1.7.1030

Would you be able to SSH into the vera and tell me what version of openWRT it is running? I am suspecting that the Vera 3 has not been updated and is running a Stone Age OS which does not support TLSv1.2. In this case I may need to have you do some deeper updates if you want to make it work. I don’t think the problem is related to new Ecobee user. I think it is related to how old your vera is. Even the latest vera units all run 6 year old operating systems.

I can ssh - but don’t know how to find version of openwrt. Do you know command?

EDIT - Found it… i think

openwrt_firmware=openwrt-ramips-rt3883-na900-squashfs-sysupgrade-88.bin

or
openwrt_firmware_url=http://download.mios.com/firmware/os_rt3662

On the splash screen when you ssh in the line just below the OpenWrt logo should be the version.
It should look something like this:

[code] _______ ________ __
| |.-----.-----.-----.| | | |.----.| |_
| - || _ | -| || | | || || |
|
_____|| |
||||___||| |____|
|
| W I R E L E S S F R E E D O M

BARRIER BREAKER (Bleeding Edge, r39638)

---------------------------------------------------[/code]

The rXXXX and the name “barrier breaker” is the version of the os. RT3883 is the CPU model of the vera3

This is what I see:

[code]BusyBox v1.17.3 (2012-01-09 12:40:42 PST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

| |.-----.-----.-----.| | | |.----.| |_
| - || _ | -| || | | || || |
|
_____|| |
||||___||| |____|
|
| W I R E L E S S F R E E D O M

-------------- Backfire (10.03) -------------------

*** MiOS LTD. ( www.mios.com ) ***
[/code]

sigh… Backfire… it is 5 generations behind barrier breaker… This here is the problem. Let me if I can find the openssl to get you at least connected.

Give me sometime. This OS version was obsolete before the vera3 was even released

@Paulcusick3: Sorry I tried. I the newest version of backfire and openssl are too old to be able to support the security protocol Ecobee now requires. The only thing I can suggest is to install openLuup and move all your automation to a much newer server.

Thanks for the effort - I’ve been researching my next hardware and software, but have been holding off committing with the recent acquisition of MIOS…

On the positive side, I am on my 3rd day without any “ghost” disconnect. Will release a beta for others to try soon.

V2.12b now available on GitHub GitHub - rafale77/vera-ecobee: Vera Plugin for ecobee Thermostat

Added a few APU retries to prevent the intermittent communication errors.

After a week of testing, I am fairly confident to have fixed the json empty error with the beta as I have not observed a single event. For those experiencing it, please try the 2.12b version.