PLEG-controlled switch turns off on its own

I have a small fan in my office that I have set up to be controlled by PLEG. It’s a pretty simple setup, the idea is that I want the fan on whenever I’m in the office and the temperature is 69 or over. For “in the office” I’m using the in-wall light switch – if the switch is on, that means I’m in the office. The temperature comes from an Ecobee sensor in the room. The fan is plugged into a basic on/off lamp module. It works for the most part, the only problem is that very often, a few minutes after the fan comes on, it will turn off. If I look at the condition in PLEG it is still true, and if I run the action associated with the “true” state of the condition, the fan comes back on. It will usually stay on after that. There are no other actions or scenes set up to control the fan.

I don’t understand what could be turning the fan off, anyone have any ideas?

Publish you PLEG status report after you detect this happening again.

OK, it just happened and here’s the status report. There’s a bunch of stuff there but the logic is in the “cNeedOfficeFan” condition.

(Note that in this particular case, the temperature was only 68 but the fan was on because I turned on my “override” switch, which is a virtual switch in a Multiswitch. I did this to give me some manual control. The issue happens whether or not the fan has been turned on in this way.)

[quote=“timtownsend, post:3, topic:199413”]OK, it just happened and here’s the status report. There’s a bunch of stuff there but the logic is in the “cNeedOfficeFan” condition.

(Note that in this particular case, the temperature was only 68 but the fan was on because I turned on my “override” switch, which is a virtual switch in a Multiswitch. I did this to give me some manual control. The issue happens whether or not the fan has been turned on in this way.)[/quote]

I don’t see anything in this PLEG that indicates it turned off the fan between the 8:40am turn on, and when you created this status at 8:45am. Do you have other automation? Another PLEG or a scene that might trigger? Maybe one that might turn off the office fan when the HVAC fan turns on?

There is nothing else I know of that could be controlling the fan. There are 2 other PLEG plugins, just to be sure I looked at the “Referenced Devices” section for both of them, neither one lists the office fan. Also checked the Scenes section for the Office Fan device, it says “Office Fan is not used as trigger and performs no action in scenes”. The only other possibility I know of would be an association, but I’ve never set any of those up, and it does not appear the office fan plug supports them anyway.

I think what I might do is remove the PLEG actions that control this fan, and start turning it on “manually” (from the Vera device page) for a while, to see if it ever turns off on its own.

Maybe I have a demon-possessed Vera? :slight_smile:

So I removed the true and false actions from the condition that was controlling the fan, and have been controlling it either through the web interface or Alexa. This morning the fan turned off on it’s own. I believe this is the log entry that shows it turning off, does this provide any insight? (The fan is device 48.)

06 07/05/18 9:12:38.327 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 48 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1 variable: Status was: 1 now: 0 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0xdcb818/NONE duplicate:0 <0x7747e520>

Need to look at what is happening before that could have triggered that action.

Just to wrap this up – I replaced the plug that was controlling the fan, and the new one has not turned itself off. So a defective plug I guess.