Philips Hue 2 plugin loss of internet renders Vera useless

Hi I’m starting a new topic just so we can concentrate on one subject, the Philips Hue 2 plugin.

If I lose my internet connection and my Veraedge is rebooted then Vera stalls on initializing this plugin rendering my home automation system useless until the internet connection is reestablished.

So I’d like to first establish if anyone else can confirm this is how it works on their Vera?

I have a gen1 hub and I haven’t had this happen :confused: I only do basic turn lights on/off no scenes or groups or anything else…

[quote=“mbaker171, post:1, topic:197667”]Hi I’m starting a new topic just so we can concentrate on one subject, the Philips Hue 2 plugin.

If I lose my internet connection and my Veraedge is rebooted then Vera stalls on initializing this plugin rendering my home automation system useless until the internet connection is reestablished.

So I’d like to first establish if anyone else can confirm this is how it works on their Vera?[/quote]

I can second this comment. This plugin kills the vera when internet connection is dropped. It causes luup reload which then hangs while loading this plugin. Dear dev team, please look into this.

Everyone having this issue please contact our Customer Care team as they have a new version which is still in testing phase, that can upload onto your unit.
Contact details in my signature.

Sorin,

I contacted customer support and was asked to provide access to “investigate” what is going on with my unit…

Edit: Working on the unit now. The latest version is 1.68 and fails to load in 7.0.25. It hangs at “Hue2 Plugin: Starting up…”

Ok guys I have been running the beta Hue plug-in. It says Current version 1.61 , latest version 1.68. Vera support installed it for me.

Results:
It fixed the stalling on rebooting VeraEdge when there is no internet connection.
However and here we start to drift off subject slightly.

Under these conditions Vera picks up a time of 00.00 so screwing up any time specific scenes.
Also recurring 5 minute timers failed to kick off but time specific times scenes appeared ok.

In summary, if you reboot your vera without any internet connection your system isn’t going to be very well. I think this is a design issue.

Maybe we should open a subject on Vera without internet?

Vera UI7 expects to be able to get the time from the OpenWRT NTP servers on a reboot. Vera has no real-time clock hardware; it uses the OS software clock. If it can’t reach the NTP server on boot, it will not have a valid time. This issue has been discussed in the forum for years. There are a few things you can consider:

1. Run your own local NTP server on your LAN. Check the forum for information on how to do this.
  2. Power Vera from a UPS to avoid reboots due to power loss.

Doing the above won’t provide a 100% fix, but may reduce the possibility of Vera losing the time to a very small percentage.

Systems using NTP will typically contact the time servers on a regular interval to stay in sync. That’s usually every 24 hours, but it may be more frequent in Vera.

If this particular issue is sorted, please open a new topic. It would help us keep track a lot easier.

Also, don’t forget, our Customer Care team is your friend.

Let’s close this when the plugin goes to general release. It’s my understanding it’s still in beta!

[quote=“Sorin M., post:8, topic:197667”]If this particular issue is sorted, please open a new topic. It would help us keep track a lot easier.

Also, don’t forget, our Customer Care team is your friend.[/quote]

Well worked a few hours on my unit, could not figure out what was wrong with 1.68 and got escalated to the dev team. Last night I had 4 Luup reloads for no particular reasons other than maybe CS working on the plugin as I gave them access but I was still on 1.28 in the morning. It looks like 1.69 is out now. I am a bit reluctant to upgrade.