Outdoor motion sensors and security lights

Afternoon all

Last year i bought security lights without PIR attached as wanted to use motion sensors which i already bought.

My question is which device is best for using the motion sensor and security light and connect to vera?

I am wanting to connect about 3 sensors and 3 lights. Am i best using FGS211 for each light and link within vera and use universal sensor for controlling motion sensors. I am looking to control them both by lights only coming on after a set time. Ie only at night once sensor has been triggered and during the day just the sensors to notify vera when triggered. Hope that makes sense.

Rich

Going to wiring these upto universal sensors and will let you know how i get on

So I unfortunately can’t remember all the part numbers for what I have, but in a nutshell -

-I have an outdoor flood light that is wired into a z-wave controlled Leviton switch. Nothing special there. No motion, etc.
-I have an external 12v powered motion detector wired to a Hawkings HRDS1 (discontinued).

I have the 12V motion detector powered via a plug-in 12v transformer. Both are easily bought off Amazon, etc. for not too much. Just get an external motion detector.

The HRDS1 is a door sensor that also has hard-wire contacts. I’m utilizing the hardwire contacts. I also hacked the HRDS1 to be hard-wired using an old cell-phone charger that puts out the correct voltage (4.5 I think…). That way I never have to worry about batteries.

Anyway, when the motion detector senses motion, it closes the circuit, the HRDS1 reports motion. I then have a scene written that turns the external light on for X minutes, then turns them off. I could’ve gotten fancier with it and had it so that if there was still motion after 5 minutes, it would just stay on, but it was too complicated. It works well for my needs. It also allows me to put notifications in if I’m expecting someone to arrive at the house, etc. I also use it to trigger image captures from my Foscam, since it’s more accurate than Foscam’s internal motion sensing.

Just thought I’d share. I knwo the HRDS1 isn’t available anymore, but I’d imagine you could hack any door sensor to work in a similar way.

@Floor61 - Though the Hawkings HRDS1 is discontinued, the Everspring SM-103 Door/Window Sensor is still readily available and is identical to your Hawkings. You could also use a Schlage Door/Window Sensor as it too has the ability to be connected to an external binary switch.

Your hack obviously works fine, but it is quite a bit of a hack.

Using a Aeon Labs 4 in 1 Motion Sensor or a Homeseer HSM100-S3 3 in 1 Motion Sensor would be much cleaner.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:4, topic:176687”]@Floor61 - Though the Hawkings HRDS1 is discontinued, the Everspring SM-103 Door/Window Sensor is still readily available and is identical to your Hawkings. You could also use a Schlage Door/Window Sensor as it too has the ability to be connected to an external binary switch.

Your hack obviously works fine, but it is quite a bit of a hack.

Using a Aeon Labs 4 in 1 Motion Sensor or a Homeseer HSM100-S3 3 in 1 Motion Sensor would be much cleaner.[/quote]

Using the Homeseer HSM100-S3 outdoors would also be much less reliable

Don