OpenSprinkler PlugIn

IMO the right way to implement openSprinkler with vera is what you are suggesting. Vera should initiate a get that tells OS when and how long. The timer to close the valve should be controlled by the OS firmware, not vera.

I don’t need a master valve, but I’m adding one as an extra precaution to help ensure that a zone isn’t left open by mistake. A master value should allow an indicatior on some of my Homewave screens that the system is operating or the assurance that the master valve is closed.

[quote=“dzmiller, post:60, topic:176206”]Plugin still working? I’m about to order, I expect I’ll get 2.05.
I’m concerned with compatibility between the firmware, plugin and iOS app. Plus your iOS app.[/quote]

The plugin works fine with OpenSprinkler 2.0.5 and the OS iPhone app so far. HomeWave currently only supports Zones as simple on/off switches. The next version will also allow switching OS between Auto, Manual and Off

I haven’t really used OpenSprinkler yet, still a lot to do first. I’m replacing most solenoid valves with motor-operated ball valve ones; I finally found some cheap ones, ($40 or so, factory direct from China). Most of my irrigation water comes from a rain fed cistern with a weak submersible pump, and I lose a lot of what little pressure it has in those solenoid valves. Then it’s a lot of rewiring to replace my current Fibaro relay based irrigation controller with the OpenSprinkler one.

For me, the the most important functions are 1) Off, 2) On with timer, and 3) Flipping the program on/off bit (on OS). I would implement “On” only on several speciality valves.

I think the that the primarily way for vera to change the irrigation should be to turn the OS program bit on and off. This places the implementation of the program scheme on OpenSprinkler, not Vera. The value of Homewave with OS for me is to allow the integration of OS values and controls on screens with other non-OS controls.

While a sprinkler valve is a binary device, treating it as such in Vera/Homewave will eventually lead to trouble for many users. Of course valve On/Off will continue to be exposed and usable to the vera user, but I think it would be good to direct the vera/homewave implementation of openSprinkler towards a more solid implementation of the irrigation plan.

I intend, in some zones, to have vera add irrigation based on temperature at a certain time each day. The base irrigation for potted plants may be three days a week. But when it’s warm on a day I’ll add an irrigation that day. When it’s hot I’ll add another that day. Vera will flip the program bit based on a Weather Underground temp at a specific time each day. The Rain bit will work as usual.

Little confused on compatibility. Does the plugin work with the OSPi ? or just the Arduino Opensprinkler?

[quote=“intveltr, post:62, topic:176206”][quote=“dzmiller, post:60, topic:176206”]Plugin still working? I’m about to order, I expect I’ll get 2.05.
I’m concerned with compatibility between the firmware, plugin and iOS app. Plus your iOS app.[/quote]

The plugin works fine with OpenSprinkler 2.0.5 and the OS iPhone app so far. HomeWave currently only supports Zones as simple on/off switches. The next version will also allow switching OS between Auto, Manual and Off

I haven’t really used OpenSprinkler yet, still a lot to do first. I’m replacing most solenoid valves with motor-operated ball valve ones; I finally found some cheap ones, ($40 or so, factory direct from China). Most of my irrigation water comes from a rain fed cistern with a weak submersible pump, and I lose a lot of what little pressure it has in those solenoid valves. Then it’s a lot of rewiring to replace my current Fibaro relay based irrigation controller with the OpenSprinkler one.[/quote]

Are you using the Arduino or Pi version?

I have the non-Pi one; I wasn’t aware it was actually based on Arduino.

Any chance of an update to make the plugin work with the new opensprinkler interval program? I’d be willing to give access to my pi version if needed. My OSpi was just purchased, so it’s the latest version with the latest SD card image.

What is the “interval” program? I have OS… working fine. Looked on Ray’s site, and don’t seen any mention of this feature.

The interval program is just the default timer program on the Arduino and Pi versions of OS. it was ported from the original OS firmware. On the Pi version of OS, you can use the default “interval program” or you can use at least two other programs which are included on the SD card image, Sprinkler Pi and Gcalendar. The vera plugin is written for the interval program but it appears to be written for the prior version of OS.

http://rayshobby.net/mediawiki/index.php?title=Python_Interval_Program_for_OSPi

So I installed the plugin, and after 2 days, it’s still not having picked up my zones from opensprinkler. The IP address is correct, the password is the default.

How can I get this to work?

And I also wonder, how does Manual/Auto/Off work with regards to OpenSprinkler. Does this override OpenSprinkler?

I also am having the same is with UI7 GA release and RC release. It worked beautifully in UI5.

I’m on UI5…

Can you get to it via the Open Sprinkler web site or app? That way you can debug whether it is Vera or your setup.

Yep, the local IP URL works just fine for OpenSprinkler.

The only setting change I made in vera on th eplugin was the IP address, using x.x.x.x (where X represents a number)

I tried the plugin a while ago and it didn’t work for me neither. I think the reason for that is that it was created for the microcontroller based open sprinkler, not OSPI open sprinkler pi.

Ah, but I am using the kit, so it’s not the pi/arduino version.

I have the original OpenSprinkler, not the Pi version. App worked perfectly in UI5, but in UI7 i am get getting a can’t detect device error and the zone information never populates. Support tells me it is because my Veralite cant communicate with OpenSprinkler, but I can ping it and access it directly via its web interface. I even tried disabling the OpenSprinkler password requirement, but no luck. Has anyone gotten the OpenSprinkler plugin to work in UI7.

anyone having problems with this today even on U15? I can’t seem to get connected to it through A mobile app for OpenSprinkler

I did connect locally through the IP, and saw there was a new UI to upload. tried that… and now can’t connect even locally on my PC.

What is weird is that I can still get to it through my Windows Phone app.

tomgru - I noticed the same issues when connecting directly to the OpenSprinkler unit. I contact OpenSprinkler and they are troubleshooting the issue, but another path to resolve was upgrade the firmware on the unit itself. The concern I have with that will that make the plugin issues with Vera that much worse. Vera is telling me to contact plugin developer, and OpenSprinkler is willing to help, but they dont have a Vera to test with. Over the next few weeks I will see if I can decipher the original code created, but I havent really done any coding for over 20+ years so not sure how much luck I will have. One nice thing, is I see MCV actually published plugin documentation in the past day or so, so that may be able to assist me getting it figured out. If somebody knows who created the original plugin and can get in contact with him, might be the quickest route for resolution.

thanks. I got ahold of Ray… he responded right away… known issue, at least for me. i’m still trying to get it working, but here’s the post that will maybe help