openHAB on Raspberry Pi 2

I getting ready to order me a setup and get started with openHAB. From your suggestions I’m ready to order…

ODROID-XU4 (with pwr supply), RTC Battery, 32GB eMMC 5.0 Module XU3/XU4 Linux (Blue Dot)

Does this look like all I need? Is this the right eMMC module to get? Blue dot or red? Enough memory or should I go with the 64gb?

Anything I’m missing here?

Thanks again.

[quote=“bucko, post:21, topic:187676”]I getting ready to order me a setup and get started with openHAB. From your suggestions I’m ready to order…

ODROID-XU4 (with pwr supply), RTC Battery, 32GB eMMC 5.0 Module XU3/XU4 Linux (Blue Dot)

Does this look like all I need? Is this the right eMMC module to get? Blue dot or red? Enough memory or should I go with the 64gb?

Anything I’m missing here?

Thanks again.[/quote]

Looks good. 32GB is fine for most, but it will depend on how many services you may want to add in the future. 64GB is good if you can afford it. My setup right now is on a 16GB disk, but I’m only using 4GB, and even then, 4GB is already on the high side.

Don’t forget a case.

Guessed made a very good comment about the fan on the XU4. Make sure to take this into consideration, the fan is VERY loud since it’s so small. Mine is in a location where noise doesn’t matter, so it’s not a big factor for me.

One other suggestion I can make is to first setup a test environment on any computer (windows, linux, OSX) you have lying around the house to start playing with openhab and making sure it’s something you want to commit to before purchasing.

[/quote]

Looks good. 32GB is fine for most, but it will depend on how many services you may want to add in the future. 64GB is good if you can afford it. My setup right now is on a 16GB disk, but I’m only using 4GB, and even then, 4GB is already on the high side.

Don’t forget a case.

Guessed made a very good comment about the fan on the XU4. Make sure to take this into consideration, the fan is VERY loud since it’s so small. Mine is in a location where noise doesn’t matter, so it’s not a big factor for me.
[/quote]

From what you say it sounds like 32gb is more than enough for my setup. I run my Vera 3 now with 150 devices, 40 scenes, 3 PLEG’s, 20 plugins total. Not overly complicated, but more than an average plug n play DIT’r would be doing. I also do whole home A/V with On Controls, HDMI switcher, multizone audio amp, and 5 IP cams (Blue Iris). So my system is far from the extreme.

I have a server room so the fan noise is no big to me.

Is the Blue dot (Linux) the correct eMMC? Just want to make 100% sure before I pull the trigger.

There are two blue dot EMMCs. I assume you probably want the light blue one according to this reference chart:
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:emmc_reference_chart

I haven’t done this myself, but I assume you can always write whatever OS you want to change to in the future.

This is what I got. Only makes refrence to 1 Blue Dot

32GB eMMC 5.0 Module XU3/XU4 Linux (Blue Dot)

description;

Pre-installed XUbuntu 14.04 (or later) for ODROID-XU3/XU3-Lite/XU4
Ready-to-run
32GB eMMC Version 5.0 interface from Sandisk
JEDEC/MMCA Version 5.0: HS400 interface with 8bit DDR mode
Includes eMMC to MicroSD adapter module

It says the Android is a Chartrues Dot.

Link: http://ameridroid.com/products/32gb-emmc-5-0-module-xu3-linux

And another Kickstarter project but in WIn10

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/139108638/lattepanda-a-45-win10-computer-for-everything?ref=category_popular