Onkyo Media plugin

Hi guessed
Can the installation steps for this plugin be updated to reflect changes in recent vera firmwares?
I have been trying to install on a vera 2 firmware 1.1.1362 and having zero luck.

I just tweaked the install instructions, mostly to reference the newer files (ZIP download link), list the new files (4x instead of 2x) and point to the generic Wiki Plugin install instructions.

I’ve also added some screenshots of the UI to enter the IP address. If you’re still having problems, please post your config (IP or Serial), along with confirmation you’ve enabled the functionality in your receiver (for IP-based stuff) and screenshots and a detailed description of how it’s broken (so I can see what you’re seeing)

I can control my amp via the Onkyo Android app ok so I’m sure the problem lays the adding the device in Vera…after I add the new device and refresh Vera the device appears then disappears…I have the same problem when trying to install the garage door plugin by woodsby.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Sorry forgot to mention it is connected via ethernet

Sorted my problem…I was selecting _scene controller in the DeviceNumParent box. Just left it as the default/ No Parent and and it all works ok…and so does the garage door plugin

Running a Vera Lite with the current firmware, I’m trying to control an Onkyo 707 via RS232 using a FTDI serial to USB cable. I installed the Onkyo plug-in from the UI5 Apps tab. I connected the Onkyo and I’ve tried most of the Advanced settings (selecting FTDI_sio as the “controlled via”) yet I still receive this error:
“Device Communication Error”

What am I missing or can the Vera Lite not control this device?

Thanks in advance!

-Mateo

…or do I need to follow these instructions first:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,1471.0.html

?

If you’re going Serial, then the first thing to do is validate that it’s working correctly, and is set to the correct Baud rate (as determined by the Onkyo).

On a Vera3, or Vera Lite, device, the Serial port should show up under:

>> Apps >> Develop Apps >> Serial Port configuration (we’ve recently requested this be moved, since it’s confusing)

If you only have one USB-Serial adapter attached, and it’s working correctly, then you should see one entry in this list. If you see nothing, then Vera has not recognized your Serial Device and you’ll need to follow the link you’ve cited.

Then, you need to change the settings here, so they reflect the correct Baud Rate for the Onkyo 707. I don’t have that info, but you can probably find it in the manual, or with Google somewhere.

These settings should be changed to match, then a (Save) Operation performed.

If you already have the Onkyo Plugin installed, and a Device created from it, you can set the Used By Device, from within the Serial Port configuration UI you’re currently in (as a result of the above steps), and the dropdown should list the Onkyo Receiver (along with virtually everything else in your Vera Lite)

If you don’t have the Onkyo Plugin installed, then follow the instructions from code.mios.com, and come back to the Serial Port configuration UI to complete the Device <-> Serial Port assignment process

I don’t show a baud rate setting, nor have I see it posted anywhere else. Here’s what I show:

Device #22
Controlled via ftdi_sio []
Device params
name
device_type
altid
ip
mac
manufacturer
model
room_num
id_parent
embedded
disabled
restricted
device_file
id
room
time_created
plugin
category_num
subcategory_num
impl_file
local_udn
onDashboard
Variables
AutoConfigure
New service:
New variable:
New value:

A screen shot (image ) would better, but that seems like the advanced tab of the device. Try the Vera 3 menu I suggested instead.

These are the clips of all the settings the plug-in offers.
I’m running a Vera Lite on the latest firmware and an Onkyo TX-SR707 with a FTDI chipped USB to Serial cable.
I’ve tried all the settings except to insert specific digits. No luck and in many cases the device simply disappears after a refresh of the dashboard. Thanks in advance for any help :slight_smile:

Right, so these are the Device’s dialog, and the Controlled by should be untouched (No Parent)…

You need to go to the Serial Port configuration menu that I reference above… It’s in a completely different part of Vera’s UI.

Got it - left the Advanced settings alone, but I can’t find a serial port settings menu anywhere in the Vera Lite interface. When you mentioned baud rate I couldn’t find it. :-\

See the screenshot of the Menu I referenced above:
Apps >> Develop Apps >> Serial Port configuration

with an example of my Paradox attached over serial, but you’d use the Onkyo in your case, and set the Baud Rate etc…

Okay, I see it now - last place I would have checked :wink:
Thanks!!!

I’ll post my config later once I get it to work so we can save someone else some time.

The default settings worked - I just needed to uninstall the app and then re-add it.
Stoked.

Thanks for all your help!

[quote=“cohibafan, post:35, topic:168197”]The default settings worked - I just needed to uninstall the app and then re-add it.
Stoked.

Thanks for all your help![/quote]
Glad to hear you got it going. We’ve recently put a proposal forward to change the Serial attachment screen’s location so it’s easier to find. The proposal also included @futzle’s work to make part of the config experience occur in the Device’s dialog itself.

If they implement both changes, it should be a lot easier to find this stuff.

Ok, please excuse my simpleton problem… but I am having a bit of trouble using the Onkyo plugin.

I am running vera3 (UI5), just updated the firmware today, and I am trying to control the 609 receiver. I also do have the remote control enabled on the receiver. I am using the app plugin ver 0.11 and placed the IP address in the advanced tab.

I am probably missing something simple, but it does not do simple on/off commanding. Any thought? Oh, and thanks!

Ned

Can you post a screenshot of what you’re seeing?

I just installed it into UI5/1.5.346, using 0.11 from apps.mios.com, and it came up ok. Initially I didn’t specify the IP Address, and it gave me a generic warning message (it defaults to assuming Serial attachment). After I entered the IP address, and (Save) to restart, it came up per the attached image.

Well, I do see the receiver, but it does not report the status.

I even tried the test luup code for on and off. I receive transmit ok, but there is no effect of the transmit.
[tt]“luup.call_action(“urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:DiscretePower1”, “On”, {}, 28)”[/tt]

I was not sure if that is the kind of screenshot you were looking for. Let me know if there is a better one that will help. I can get screen shots while at work, but can’t test fixes.

I was brainstorming last night trying to figure out what was going on, and verifying that the receiver is configured for remote access. The only thing I can come up with is the network configuration it’s self. I do not have anything plugged directly into the Ethernet on Vera other than on the WAN port to connect it to my router. I figured this could explain why the uPnP does see other items, but I have not been able to control anything… I think.

Could this have anything to do with it, and is there a way to configure Vera3 to work as a hub? I did see in the documentation there was a way with other versions (Vera2 or UI4, not sure which) but those options were not available on Vera3/UI5. I tried changing the firewall to off, but that does not seem to be the same as the documented “No Firewall” which is probably what I want.