One switch to control both light and fan?

Does anyone know of a single Z-Wave device that will fit in a single gang wall box and allow separate control of a fan and a light? I have been googling with no joy, so I’m not too optimistic ???

If you mean like fan speeds and all then no. You can get a double on off switch and use that for fan and light but you will need to pull the chain to control fan speeds.

I have always put two switches side by side as a better option.

Some rooms I remove the old 2 gang box and go to 3 if it has another light in the room.

If you mean like fan speeds and all then no. You can get a double on off switch and use that for fan and light but you will need to pull the chain to control fan speeds.

I have always put two switches side by side as a better option.

Some rooms I remove the old 2 gang box and go to 3 if it has another light in the room.[/quote]

Thanks…

Actually I could live with a double on/off switch if that exists, but sadly, my fan has no chain to pull…

The Leviton VRCS2-MRZ Vizia RF + 2-Button Scene Controller will switch two loads. So, you’ll be able to use it for fan and light On/Off control.

But, Ill bet you really want dimmer and fan speed control. No such Z-Wave switch exists. In fact the only fan specific Z-Wave switches are
Leviton VRF01-1LZ 1.5A Scene Capable Quiet Fan Speed Control
and
GE 12730 Z-Wave Smart Fan Control

If you are willing to forgo your Z-Wave requirement, then Insteon has a solution that would fit your needs. You’d need:
Insteon 2475F FanLinc Insteon Dual-Band Ceiling Fan and Light Controller
INSTEON 2334-232 Keypad Dimmer Switch with 6-Button
INSTEON 2322-382 FanLinc Button Kit for KeypadLinc
and a
[url=http://amzn.to/25wDdO6]INSTEON 2413U PowerLinc Modem - USB Interface - for Vera

Thanks for the great ideas guys.

This particular two-gang box has a light switch for wall sconces and another device that has light/fan control in one. The sconces don’t need to be dimmed and are not now. So I could use that two button device to control the wall sconces and the fan light, then use a fan controller. But wow, that’s a pricey device. This may not be doable because the light is part of a three-way circuit (or 4 way, there are three switches).

It never occurred to me to expand the two gang box to a three gang box. The box that is in there is a somewhat shallow and very old metal box. I’ll take a look and see if it can be removed without damaging the wall. I’m not up for replastering and repainting. The issue I see is that the older metal boxes have that thing that screws into the box and then the electrical wire is clamped into it. Thats above the box and unless the wires are loose I don’t see how it comes out without wall damage. If I can though, it would be noce to have a deeper plastic box for Z-Wave things.

[quote=“skyjumper, post:5, topic:191783”]Thanks for the great ideas guys.

This particular two-gang box has a light switch for wall sconces and another device that has light/fan control in one. The sconces don’t need to be dimmed and are not now. So I could use that two button device to control the wall sconces and the fan light, then use a fan controller. But wow, that’s a pricey device. This may not be doable because the light is part of a three-way circuit (or 4 way, there are three switches).

It never occurred to me to expand the two gang box to a three gang box. The box that is in there is a somewhat shallow and very old metal box. I’ll take a look and see if it can be removed without damaging the wall. I’m not up for replastering and repainting. The issue I see is that the older metal boxes have that thing that screws into the box and then the electrical wire is clamped into it. Thats above the box and unless the wires are loose I don’t see how it comes out without wall damage. If I can though, it would be noce to have a deeper plastic box for Z-Wave things.[/quote]

My 1950’s house in California was the same way with plaster walls. My metal boxes actually had the wire screws (Clamps) on the inside of the box as I think all do. So you shouldn’t have a problem with that. In the video he uses a box that screws to the wood beams on the side but I use the one with the little hooks that pop out. A good thing to note is the metal boxes are smaller in size then the plastic ones. Newer wall covers also have a larger then normal size available to help cover up. The hole you need to make to get out the old box and (this sometimes requires a good amount of force and prying because of nails holding it to the beam) is never an issue for me. Where the hard parts comes into play is using a cement blade or other fine tooth place for cutting the plaster walls bigger. If you use a corse tooth drywall blade and pull out you will probley chip and peal off some paint larger then the wall cover.

So just be careful go slow and use a fine or specialty type blade to get smooth cuts. Painters tape in the cutting area may also help but I have never tried.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Sawzall+Specialty+Cutting+Blade+–+Coarse+Grit+Tungsten+Carbide&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5w7qooenLAhVL1mMKHdzMBL4Q_AUICCgC&biw=1600&bih=755#imgrc=7X1K0zjqIvm8vM%3A

You can shop your local hardware store first and place the box over the existing to see how much room you have. Once you cut the hole bigger for the new box the old box should be much easier to get out with the room around it.

Thanks for this advice. The wire clamps are inside the box, as you said. And I would use a plastic rework box. As long as there is not a stud in the way I should be good. Normally studs are 16 inches on center, but this wall used to be an external wall, so all bets are off.