"No users to display"

I’m just getting started with Vera. I’ve paired it with a Kwikset lock and all seems well there. My problem is that, despite having registered at cp.mios.com and successfully connected to my Vera locally and remotely, I cannot get notifications working.

When I click on the “MyMiOS” icon in the dashboard, I see a checkmark next to “Remote access is enabled” and, below that, the text “No users to display”. Similarly, when I click on the “Notifications” tab of the lock and add a notification, the “Notify” field for the new notification reads "No users to notify.

I’ve search the forums and Googled for these two phrases but I’m coming up with nothing. Anyone have any suggestions? I tried adding a second “Notifications only” user at cp.mios.com but I still get the “No users…” on the Vera.

Thanks in advance for your help!

@Hal Hollis

Please follow this HowTo;
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Set_up_of_Notifications

@Henk,
The way I read it @Hal Hollis seems to have taken the correct steps. 2 users were created, yet no users are shown under MyMios?

[quote=“oTi@, post:3, topic:168434”]@Henk,
The way I read it @Hal Hollis seems to have taken the correct steps. 2 users were created, yet no users are shown under MyMios?[/quote]

@oTi@

Defining users is the first step.
Creating either eimail or text notifications requires extra steps on cp.mios.com (clicking the right box, filling out the user details like emailaddress and phonenumber etc) as well as in the device/scene.

I do agree that its strange that no users show up.
Maybe loging in remotely once could solve that issue,

Maybe its worthwile checking the file in vera that stores the info? (/etc/cmh/users.conf) if the users are entered there by the control server

Well, that’s strange. In the time between my post and now, my Vera evidently updated and the two users I added at cp.mios.com are now showing up in MyMiOS and further, the notifications I had earlier added for the lock now have tick boxes for the two users I created.

So, thanks for the info and, if someone pressed a magic button or something to fix this, thanks especially for that!

[quote=“Hal Hollis, post:5, topic:168434”]Well, that’s strange. In the time between my post and now, my Vera evidently updated and the two users I added at cp.mios.com are now showing up in MyMiOS and further, the notifications I had earlier added for the lock now have tick boxes for the two users I created.

So, thanks for the info and, if someone pressed a magic button or something to fix this, thanks especially for that![/quote]

At least its fixed… thats the main concern.
And we hone our troubleshooting skills while assisting ;D

Just a followup, per Henk’s advice, I checked /etc/cmh/users.conf and found that it, as well as users.conf.timestamp, have timestamps of June 1, 09:36 EST which is roughly 40 minutes after I opened the thread.

Oddly, I’m still not seeing any events at cp.mios.com or receiving notification e-mails despite having checked users for the two events I’ve added in the “Notifications” tab for the lock.

Looking in /var/log/cmh, I’m only seeing two log files at the moment: LuaUPnP.log and NetworkMonitor.log. The first one is empty and is recent. The timestamp on it is just 9 minutes ago. Are the notification events stored locally on the Vera or sent to a server?

Thanks for checking. Definitely sounded like that was missing, as the users should show up under MyMios, with or without notifications. The delay is not normal.

Oddly, I'm still not seeing any events at cp.mios.com or receiving notification e-mails despite having checked users for the two events I've added in the "Notifications" tab for the lock.
cp.mios.com -> My Contact Info -> Send me an email ; is that checked?

It’s a bit confusing (and will be changed in the next UI I believe), but you basically tell Vera which users should get a notification, and then on cp.mios.com you select per user what that notification should be (email and/or text).

@oTi:

OK, on cp.mios.com, I’ve got “Send me an email” checked in the “My Contact Info” dialogue. In the “Notifications” tab of my Vera, I’ve got my user name checked for notification on two events (“Lock Button is Pressed” and “PIN Entered”).

I’m thinking that the first troubleshooting step is to determine if the lock / Vera combo is seeing / logging these events. When I look under the “Logs” tab of the lock, it is blank. As I understand it, that is now by design. But, isn’t there a log file somewhere in the Vera FS that I can grep to check for these events?

Thanks again for your help! It’s much appreciated.

OK, notifications now seem to working.

Cool! 8) Anything in particular that you had to change / do, whatever, that may be useful for others?

BTW, there’s some alternate ways to do notifications that don’t go through cp.mios.com. See the page referenced earlier by @Henk. And for email direct from Vera see SND by @Ap15e in the plug-in repository or the code referenced in the SND thread.

I would be interested too, if it only was for creating a troubleshooting page on the wiki

I wish I could claim I figured out the problem but, alas, the notifications simply started happening sometime after I posted about not seeing them. I’m thinking that maybe I wasn’t seeing any because of the server issues yesterday?

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. Hence the question, to see if you had actively changed anything.