New Vera Lite owner - Need WiFi advice

Are there any USB WiFi adapters that are supported by the Vera Lite?

Background - I’m another new Vera Lite owner who completely misinterpreted what the differences between the Lite and Vera3 were in terms of connectivity, and now have to come up with a way to connect via WiFi. I’m installing my Vera Lite in a secure closet attached to my CADDX/NX8 Security system and can’t run an Ethernet cable there (no attic above).

I suppose I can find an old router and convert it to a bridge with new DDWRT firmware, but I want to be sure there aren’t any better alternatives.

Vera Lite PLUS! Just what I need. ETA? Too far out, I guess.

Thanks for any advice!

Just get a wireless repeater that will talk to your wireless router (around $50 bucks) and plug the VeraLite into it with an Ethernet cable. By the way, I agree, I can’t wait for the VeraPlus to arrive which would eliminate the need for the repeater!!

+1 … I ended up getting the tiny TL-WR702N wireless router: TP-Link 150Mbps Wireless-N Nano Router review: TP-Link 150Mbps Wireless-N Nano Router - CNET , and configuring it as a wireless repeater. works like a charm

Thanks all for the great advice!

Capjay - I was aware of the Tiny router as a sweet little travel companion but I didn’t know it had bridge capability. That’s perfect! I’ve already placed an order for one.

I had also considered a wireline adapter but the only 120v in the closet is the light fixture above - so some tricky exposed ceiling rewiring to make a new outlet would have been required. I should have mentioned that previously.

The CADDX/NX8 has a 12v 1a power source (with battery backup) to power the Vera Lite directly. I’m hoping I can power the Tiny router through its mini USB attached to a small USB hub powered by the Vera Lite. Otherwise, I’ll have to tear into the ceiling fixture and hope it has an unswitched hot line to tap into.

Just wanted to followup and let you all know that the TP-Link in client repeater mode is working great to provide WiFi capability to the Vera Lite. The distance to the WiFi router is about 60’ through 5 sheetrock walls, which the tiny TP-Link is handling just fine.

I’m attaching a picture of my Vera Lite and TP-Link to show how I connected them both directly to the NX-8 without their power bricks. Both devices are now sharing the internal NX-8 UPS battery as well, which itself is monitored for battery level by the Vera CADDX plugin.

The main reason I why I powered the Vera and TP-Link from the NX-8 was because there was no easy way to get access to 120V AC for the power bricks inside the closet. Avoiding having to put in an extra dedicated UPS was gravy.

The CPT 12vDC/5vDC USB converter module was ordered from Amazon for under $6, including shipping. TP-Link - just $20.

Neat setup! Glad it worked for you.

[quote=“GaryOkie, post:6, topic:174100”]Just wanted to followup and let you all know that the TP-Link in client repeater mode is working great to provide WiFi capability to the Vera Lite. The distance to the WiFi router is about 60’ through 5 sheetrock walls, which the tiny TP-Link is handling just fine.

I’m attaching a picture of my Vera Lite and TP-Link to show how I connected them both directly to the NX-8 without their power bricks. Both devices are now sharing the internal NX-8 UPS battery as well, which itself is monitored for battery level by the Vera CADDX plugin.

The main reason I why I powered the Vera and TP-Link from the NX-8 was because there was no easy way to get access to 120V AC for the power bricks inside the closet. Avoiding having to put in an extra dedicated UPS was gravy.

The CPT 12vDC/5vDC USB converter module was ordered from Amazon for under $6, including shipping. TP-Link - just $20.[/quote]

I am working on almost the exact same setup as this… Is there anyway you can give some more info on how you wired it up? Thanks! ;D

Also some more info or a link to the converter would help too!

Hi TaterTot - Happy to help.

I’m attaching another picture showing a closeup of just the CADDX panel with the wiring attachments.

The Vera Lite’s 12VDC 1A power can be provided directly by the NX-8 panel’s “AUX PWR+” terminal, with the negative/COM terminal immediately above. (white stripe on the power cable indicates the positive wire, but measure everything with a volt meter to be sure).

The TP-Link router requires a 5vDC 2A source. I was going to modify a USB car charger adapter, but found an inexpensive CPT 12v/5v 3A converter module on Amazon with wire leads and a USB port that the TP-Link plugs directly into for power.
[url=http://www.amazon.com/Retailstore-Converter-Module-Convert-Output/dp/B009TJQ0IE]Amazon.com

The red/black power leads for the module attach directly to the 12V UPS red/black battery wires. You can see the blue crimp-on style connectors I used for this right above the battery.

That’s all there was to it.

[quote=“GaryOkie, post:9, topic:174100”]Hi TaterTot - Happy to help.

I’m attaching another picture showing a closeup of just the CADDX panel with the wiring attachments.

The Vera Lite’s 12VDC 1A power can be provided directly by the NX-8 panel’s “AUX PWR+” terminal, with the negative/COM terminal immediately above. (white stripe on the power cable indicates the positive wire, but measure everything with a volt meter to be sure).

The TP-Link router requires a 5vDC 2A source. I was going to modify a USB car charger adapter, but found an inexpensive CPT 12v/5v 3A converter module on Amazon with wire leads and a USB port that the TP-Link plugs directly into for power.
[url=http://www.amazon.com/Retailstore-Converter-Module-Convert-Output/dp/B009TJQ0IE]Amazon.com

The red/black power leads for the module attach directly to the 12V UPS red/black battery wires. You can see the blue crimp-on style connectors I used for this right above the battery.

That’s all there was to it.[/quote]

Thanks for the info and pics…

I am currently debating on a Uplink Cellular communicator right now as well. My original plan was to wire it to the panel, but I have been told that I need to get a separate power supply and battery backup for it. So I have been trying to figure out how to wire all this stuff up… I have to make sure the vera, tp-link, and uplink module all have power and do not draw too much from the panel…

My two options are something like you have done here or just get a separate UPS for the vera, tp-link, and uplink…

OK…so it seems to work for a few people…not for me. Can anyone please help?
My problem: I rent a basement apartment with wi-fi access from landlord. I have internet access on my computer. If I plug Vera Lite into the computer, I can get the dashboard and control devices. Fine!
I also purchased the TP router. I managed to set it in repeater mode. Now if I disconnect the TP from my computer and plug Vera into it, I can’t access the dashboard anymore, since it’s a web application and my computer doesn’t talk to Vera anymore. Any ideas? Thank you.