new UI firmware *1.7.3798*

do not rush on it , I have some issues with it
icons issues.
also ( but maybe it is personal ) I have issue with file not being saved when I upload them and I cannot enable technical support …

I ll see with support…

Thanks for the warning. It seems prudent to update every other release.

[quote=“amg0, post:1, topic:199092”]do not rush on it , I have some issues with it
icons issues.
also ( but maybe it is personal ) I have issue with file not being saved when I upload them and I cannot enable technical support …

I ll see with support…[/quote]

I am now with a bricked vera which failed factory reset. I asked support help on it…

[quote=“amg0, post:3, topic:199092”][quote=“amg0, post:1, topic:199092”]do not rush on it , I have some issues with it
icons issues.

I ll see with support…[/quote]

I am now with a bricked vera which failed factory reset. I asked support help on it…[/quote]

Not just you. I cannot enable support either. Same save issue.

Had same issues…http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,81524.msg382623.html#msg382623

Had to remove DataMine2 files via SSH to make space.

I see they finally implemented the #1 feature requested by technical support

I have a phone meeting with them tomorrow but I finally managed to fix it myself.
it seems that

• file system ( /etc ) got full
  • uploaded files were not saving anymore
  • factory reset was failing
  • enabling remote support access was failing
  • vera was in constant busy status , EXTREMELY slow and only some SCP access worked in the first 2-3 mn after a power on. every command was taking ages to respond

using SCP I cleaned up some file system files ( like big plugins including ALTUI files from /etc/cmh-ludl ) and took my chance to remove some traces of old firmware and old zw firmware. this created some space enough for the unit to recover

I noticed that this release is bigger, the zw firmware , the alexa & ip camera are taking some space, that is becoming a problem
I suspect I will have similar issues in next upgrades as vera redownloads missing file automatically and persist to add back some that we remove.

I could drastically reduce ALTUI footprint if we accept to dowload javascript files from internet thus losing the ability to work without internet access but I would prefer not to do this. if only we had some more space on the vera flash , or if vera was not so agressive to download some unused plugin files …

maybe time to move stuff to a bigger vera or openluup…

I also notice a pb with icon, maybe in ALTUI but it seems some ON OFF devices do not display the right device icon any more. I ll check what is going on. otherwise, all seems functional

[quote=“amg0, post:7, topic:199092”]I have a phone meeting with them tomorrow but I finally managed to fix it myself.
it seems that

• file system ( /etc ) got full
  • uploaded files were not saving anymore
  • factory reset was failing
  • enabling remote support access was failing
  • vera was in constant busy status , EXTREMELY slow and only some SCP access worked in the first 2-3 mn after a power on. every command was taking ages to respond

using SCP I cleaned up some file system files ( like big plugins including ALTUI files from /etc/cmh-ludl ) and took my chance to remove some traces of old firmware and old zw firmware. this created some space enough for the unit to recover

I noticed that this release is bigger, the zw firmware , the alexa & ip camera are taking some space, that is becoming a problem
I suspect I will have similar issues in next upgrades as vera redownloads missing file automatically and persist to add back some that we remove.

I could drastically reduce ALTUI footprint if we accept to dowload javascript files from internet thus losing the ability to work without internet access but I would prefer not to do this. if only we had some more space on the vera flash , or if vera was not so agressive to download some unused plugin files …

maybe time to move stuff to a bigger vera or openluup…

I also notice a pb with icon, maybe in ALTUI but it seems some ON OFF devices do not display the right device icon any more. I ll check what is going on. otherwise, all seems functional[/quote]

Those were my findings as well.

There must be a nightly script that reloads the missing firmware files that we remove. If only we could locate that script and disable reloading of the z-wave firmware files for other regions at least that would free up some additional space.

Maybe there is a way they (or plugin developers) can implement offloading the larger plugin files to a USB drive. It must be possible because DataMine 2 is able to mount and utilize the drive for extra storage why can’t a plugin move its large Javascript or UI files to the USB?

P.S. After searching the forums this issue of running out of space is not new at all (just to me). I found all sorts of posts dating back a while of other users hitting the storage limits as well.

@amg0 This may be of some interest:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,38928.msg317351.html#msg317351

I just haven't found a good alternative.
@Tsviper openLuup is an excellent alternative. Allows Vera to be a good Z-wave controller and you can have as many plugins as you want, at the same time.

[quote=“a-lurker, post:9, topic:199092”]@amg0 This may be of some interest:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,38928.msg317351.html#msg317351

I just haven't found a good alternative.
@Tsviper openLuup is an excellent alternative. Allows Vera to be a good Z-wave controller and you can have as many plugins as you want, at the same time.[/quote] thank you. very informative. I wonder if we could implement a "pre-firmware-upgrade" action in lua or somewhere ( altui ) that we run manually just before we intend to upgrade a firmware. I have seen vera recommends a backup + factory reset before a firmware upgrade but that seems brute force

It is the only way I can update my Vera 3 - backup, factory reset, update, restore backup - with a few reboots for good measure.