New Sonos Device Just Disappears !!?

My Vera Lite arrived the other day and the first thing I wanted to do was set it up to control the Sonos… (UI5)

So I followed the published route - Sonos Wireless HiFi Music Systems and it appeared under ‘Other’ and ‘All’ Devices.

A quick look at the IP on the Sonos itself and I updated the device settings to reflect the zone I wanted to control.

All looked pretty straight forward ( hey i thought I can do this) … BUT … then the device just dissapeared !!! I looked under Other’ and ‘All’ Devices again, but nothing was there… I looked in Scenes and Advance and nothing was listed, all that remained of my endeavours was the xml/lu files still sat in the App/Dev area

Undeterred as it was the first few hours of my parenting this new Vera, I thought I’d try again, plus as I noticed there wa a firmware update available I proceeded to up date the device and also choose a factory reset so I could start a fresh…

Next try, I did exactly the same, the Sonos device appeared, I updated the settings and the got through to the Scene and onto advance, but this time the device had a red circle with a diagonal line through it, I could do nothing with it.

I saw another post that talked about refreshing your browser which I did and the device disappeared again!!? I looked for it everywhere, the files were still there, but the device had gone.

I tried to add it again, exactly the same steps but nothing this time, it would not appear …

So, as things stand after a very late night i’m really confused and concerned about how this could happen?

Being a newbie of the newest kind, all this is very new to me, so any advice and perhaps a written refresh of the steps in need to do (written in a simple for your dad way) would be much appreciated… I’m keen to know a) why the device was unusable, b) why it just dissapeared and c) why I can’t add it again?

1. Did you reload the Luup engine after you created the device? (by pressing the blue Reload button) You must reload the Luup engine before you can use the device.
  2. Did you select a parent for the device when you created it? You must never select a parent for a device unless instructed, or unless you know what you are doing.

Hi Mcvflorin,

Thanks for responding, Yep, I did reload the Luup engine when it added the files, but i think in one one of the creation attempts I did select a parent. My dodgy eyesight read Scene Controller as Sonos Controller, but on the other attempts I didn’t select it.

Anyway - I’ve just tried to create it again, but this time I added the Upnp Implementation Filename which is not listed in the instructions on the MiOS code wiki page and the Sonos device seems to be sticking on the device page.

I did get a few JSON errors when I first tried to use it in a Scene, but for some reason on the 4th or 5th attempt it allowed me to set a file to play etc.

Was i right to add the Impl file?
Any idea why I got the JSON errors and why they went away?
If I have more than one Sonos Zone, do I just create a device for each one?

Many Thanks.

If the implementation file is specified in the device file then specifying the implementation file at device creation is redundant.

Can you give me more details about the Json errors?

I haven’t used this plugin so I couldn’t tell, I think @guessed can help you better with this.

Actually, it @anker who would need To answer, I was just helping with some of the code constructs. I don’t have a Sonos either. 8)

The good news is that I added it a couple more times and it now looks to be staying there and I can make calls to to play music via Scenes. (very cool):wink:

If the implementation file is specified in the device file then specifying the implementation file at device creation is redundant.[/quote]

Interesting, how it could be one or the other, it would be nice to have one way to keep it simple for us newbies. :wink:

Can you give me more details about the Json errors?[/quote]

Sadly I don’t, it did not tell me much I seem to recall other that there was a problem, invalid or something I think

I haven’t used this plugin so I couldn’t tell, I think @guessed can help you better with this.[/quote]

It looks like I can I have created a living room one and a kitchen one to test and both seem to staying put and both look to work.

Thanks for your help on this, this can be marked as ‘Answered’ I just wish I knew what made it work that time, I might have refreshed something as I was adding other Devices at the time.

My adventure with Vera continues, so you’ll be able to follow my progress in other posts :wink:
(I’m just so glad you guys and this forum are here to help :wink: )