New here. Looking for home security

Hello, I am new here and new to the whole home automation. Watched a few videos on YouTube and was very impressed with the home automation technology.

I was hoping if someone can help me get set up for home automation and security. I mainly want to secure my home without paying any monthly fees. Would the veralite , a few sensors, and ip cam be sufficient enough to secure my home?

I have gone through this forum and noticed some mentions of DSC. I have looked up their products but I have no clue how it works or why it is needed with the Vera. I am sure ill have no problems installing veralite and z wave products but for DSC, I do not have a clue. I’ve never had a alarm system before so I may not be familiar with all the terminology. Anyone want to help me out with a list of what to buy? thanks in advance!

welcome. someone just asked a similar question: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16450.0.html

Or look at this recent response:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13773.0.html

Thanks for the reply.

So is a DSC fairly simple to install? Do I need to purchase sensors that are for DSC? Or will the z wave sensors that I can purchase on amazon work?

You connect DCS sensors to DCS.
But they will be available to you for Automation when you connect DCS to vera.

Yes, a DSC system is easy to install.

Depending on what route you go:

1. Running the wire for sensors through your walls may be difficult, especially between floors or in hard to reach areas.
  2. Programming the system may require you to read and re-read the information from the forums (see first response you were referred to). Once you understand the basics, it is fairly easy.

I recommend getting a security system for security and a home automation system for home automation… then using the plugins that are available to make your security system talk to your home automation system.

I can say that with a DSC system, since I have one, you don’t need to pay any monthly fees. If you get the Envisalink3 module, there is an option through eyez-on.com (manufacturers website) to subscribe to an ~$9.00/month monitoring service, but it isn’t required.

As RichardTSchaefer said, you hookup DSC compatible sensors to the panel only. DSC does offer a ZWave controller that will connect to their system (the C24-HUB), but you need an RS-422 interface to connect it to the alarm system, and you need to go to their website to activate it. Not sure what else is involved with it. Unless you feel the need to go with DSC equipment for everything, to include the ZWave controller, I would just get a basic alarm system (see previously referred to threads for info), and a Vera3/VeraLite and use the DSC plugin. Once you have the plugin talking to the DSC system, your sensors will be available in the Vera for use.

[quote=“SOlivas, post:6, topic:176934”]Yes, a DSC system is easy to install.

Depending on what route you go:

1. Running the wire for sensors through your walls may be difficult, especially between floors or in hard to reach areas.
  2. Programming the system may require you to read and re-read the information from the forums (see first response you were referred to). Once you understand the basics, it is fairly easy.

I recommend getting a security system for security and a home automation system for home automation… then using the plugins that are available to make your security system talk to your home automation system.

I can say that with a DSC system, since I have one, you don’t need to pay any monthly fees. If you get the Envisalink3 module, there is an option through eyez-on.com (manufacturers website) to subscribe to an ~$9.00/month monitoring service, but it isn’t required.

As RichardTSchaefer said, you hookup DSC compatible sensors to the panel only. DSC does offer a ZWave controller that will connect to their system (the C24-HUB), but you need an RS-422 interface to connect it to the alarm system, and you need to go to their website to activate it. Not sure what else is involved with it. Unless you feel the need to go with DSC equipment for everything, to include the ZWave controller, I would just get a basic alarm system (see previously referred to threads for info), and a Vera3/VeraLite and use the DSC plugin. Once you have the plugin talking to the DSC system, your sensors will be available in the Vera for use.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

I think this cleared it up for me. I was confused on how and which sensors to use. I thought you had to use a Zwave sensor and a DSC sensor on one window…one to trigger alarm from DSC and one to trigger alert from Vera. I did not know that there was a plugin that would allow the Vera to work with the DSC.

So although the DSC sensors and products is not z-wave …it can still communicate with the Vera to set off DSC alarms and send alerts through Vera?

The DSC plugin allows for sensor information (door/motion etc), alarm status, and other actions to be fed in to Vera to trigger scenes or actions with Vera. At the same time, it allows the Vera to set off alarms, arm, disarm as part of scenes or PLEG actions. It effectively replaces Zwave sensors in most instances. For example, I use the wired door sensors to trigger lights in the garage when the door is opened, but a Zwave motion sensor in there to set / reset a timer to shut it off.

I just installed a DSC + EVL3 last weekend. Replaced an existing wired system and plan to add some wireless nodes soon as well. It was not difficult to install, but definitely take the time to learn how to do it. Just needs a little patience, and time to RTFM.
Check out the other homesecurity forums on the internet for help on how to get that done. There is tons of good advice within that community. First get that DSC system up , running, stable, and monitored if you wish. Then after get it going with Vera.

[quote=“niharmehta, post:8, topic:176934”]The DSC plugin allows for sensor information (door/motion etc), alarm status, and other actions to be fed in to Vera to trigger scenes or actions with Vera. At the same time, it allows the Vera to set off alarms, arm, disarm as part of scenes or PLEG actions. It effectively replaces Zwave sensors in most instances. For example, I use the wired door sensors to trigger lights in the garage when the door is opened, but a Zwave motion sensor in there to set / reset a timer to shut it off.

I just installed a DSC + EVL3 last weekend. Replaced an existing wired system and plan to add some wireless nodes soon as well. It was not difficult to install, but definitely take the time to learn how to do it. Just needs a little patience, and time to RTFM.
Check out the other homesecurity forums on the internet for help on how to get that done. There is tons of good advice within that community. First get that DSC system up , running, stable, and monitored if you wish. Then after get it going with Vera.[/quote]

Can you tell me exactly which model disc did you get? Thanks

The core details are contained here:
http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_dscalarmpanel

Recent threads can be found here:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=13773.0

There are also heaps of help on YouTube:
http://youtube.com/results?q=dsc%20alarm%20installation&search_sort=relevance&search_type=search_all&uploaded=&oq=Dsc%20al&gs_l=youtube-reduced.1.2.41j0l3.11093.12074.0.15812.3.2.0.1.1.0.326.647.3-2.2.0.eytns%2Cpt%3D-40%2Cn%3D2%2Cui%3Dt...0...1ac.1.23.youtube-reduced..0.3.653.ouQnJZJPgWg

DSC PC1832 with the RFK5500 kit . Added The EVL-3 module as well. Got it from Home Security Store. Definitely recommend adding the PTK5507 touchscreen as well if you want a second panel. It does make it easier to program.