Welcome to the New Vera Community Forum

Greetings everyone!

Learn about the features of our forum.

On behalf of the Vera team and community, I welcome you to our community forum platform. We’re exploring new territory in what it means to have great conversations online.

The philosophy behind this new platform is about creating open, honest and well-mannered discussions about a range of topics that come up.

This is the place to chat with passionate members of the former MicasaVerde and new Vera community, and of course directly to members of the Vera Control team. Welcome!

Topic Titles

When you are posting a question, put as much detail as you can into the title. A title such as “help I am stuck”, or “why is this not working” does not give potential helpers any indication of the problem, or whether they can help or not. Instead of a topic title such as “When trying to add a device - it says “[error message]”, and won’t let me add” makes it much easier for others to help.

Finding Topics/Posts

The Vera Community Forum is organized into categories. Our first recommendation is to look at the category structure to get familiar with how the discussions are organized. Click the Categories button along the top of the page to see the main categories and their sub-categories. Every category has a description to help you identify where to look for content.

There’s also an integrated search engine (click the :mag: (magnifying glass) icon to the left of your profile picture in the upper-right corner), that is another great way to find what you are looking for.

The old Micasaverde forums got migrated to the new forum platform. The old forum at http://forum.micasaverde.com will be kept online for the foreseeable future. But it will be read-only mode.

Trust Levels

Trust levels are a participation system on the forums. The more you post, like, reply, read, and visit the forums, the more you work your way to a higher trust level. Increased Trust levels grant additional privileges. Everyone who is new starts off at Trust Level 0 but will quickly climb by reading and visiting the forums within their first few days.

TRUST LEVEL 0

Trust level 0 users cannot:

• Flag posts
  • Post more than 3 topics
  • Post more than 10 replies

TRUST LEVEL 1

Get to trust level 1 by…

• Entering at least 5 topics
  • Reading at least 30 posts
  • Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts

Users at trust level 1 can…

• Post unlimited topics and replies
  • Edit wiki posts (more on Wiki Posts Below)
  • Flag posts

TRUST LEVEL 2

Get to trust level 2 by…

• Visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
  • Casting at least 1 like
  • Receiving at least 1 like
  • Replying to at least 3 different topics
  • Entering at least 20 topics
  • Reading at least 100 posts
  • Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

Users at trust level 2 can…

• Create links and video embeds to trusted websites like, YouTube.
  • Have an increased “like” count.

TRUST LEVEL 3

Get to trust level 3 by…

• Must have visited at least 50% of last 100 days
  • Must have replied to at least 10 different topics
  • Of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 500 topics
  • Of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 20,000 posts (both starting posts and replies)
  • Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.
  • Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
  • Must not have been suspended

Trust Level 3 users can

• Create Wiki Posts (more on that below)
  • Post animated gifs, images, compatible video embeds, and links to any website

Other Forum Features

Flag a post to alert a moderator

The forum post report form is now gone since you simply flag a post that you believe violates the forum Code-of-Conduct. Simply click the flag icon then choose from one of the four options provided as needed. The post is then flagged for review by a moderator. You have a few minutes to undo the flag if you wish. Note that threads may be automatically locked for 24 hours if they receive enough flags among all posts in that thread.

DO NOT USE THIS FEATURE TO SIMPLY DISLIKE THE CONTENT OF THE POST . To help control unwanted flag spam for the moderators to sift through, all users have a very limited number of flags per day they can issue. So only flag posts that are in violation.

Post Images and Embedded Content

As mentioned before, Trust Level 3 users can post embedded content. To post an image or a video embed of a YouTube Video or a Twitch Clip, Video or Stream. Simply copy the shareable URL of that content in its own line of text. Note that image content that is too large in file size may be prevented from displaying in the page.

Wiki Posts

Trust level 3 users can change their post to become a Wiki Post. This means once activated as a Wiki anyone can edit it. This can be helpful in making community guides. Simply click the wrench icon on your own post and select the link to turn on the Wiki Post.

Mobile Progressive Web App

The new forums are extremely mobile friendly and if you have a mobile device, you may be prompted when signing in offering to install a shortcut icon to your Mobile Home Screen. This will allow you to access the forums outside of your native web browser on your mobile device.

5 Likes

yeah. overall I like it. too bad our signatures got lost in the migration :frowning:

1 Like

Thank you @therealdb. It was quite a ride, and there are still a few things to do. We had to give some to get some due to the differences between platforms. If you guys discover any issues or have any questions don’t hesitate to let me know.

It’s gonna be a bit slow for the next few hours until the markdown is finished.

1 Like

This will take some getting used to. Please do not disable the old forum while we all get adjusted to the new format. Also, I do miss the Forum stats / Online info from the footer of the old SMF version.

That said, it was probably about time for a forum refresh and is certainly good for brand optics.

1 Like

The old forum will stay for the moment even if the content is migrated to date. If you have feedback or any kind of questions, keep 'em coming. We’ll see what we can do.

Sorin, it doesn’t look like our private messages made it over. Will these be migrated as well, or are they to remain over at SMF only forever more?

Looks good. Will tapatalk be supported?

1 Like

Another positive step forwards—congratulations! This will indeed take some getting used to, and I hope that the material on the old forum is preserved—there’s a lot of knowledge there.

Can the order of posts be changed?
Presently I have to scroll down to the end to see the latest post, I would like to see the latest post as the first post?

1 Like

Sorry, I think I liked the old format better. I guess I’m just a creature of habit.

1 Like

Nice, sharp, new forum. I hope my pea brain will make sense of it all.

i guess a lot of work went into this. perhaps i am grumpy but i find the new layout not as easy to navigate and lacking in order and overview. The main threads does not stand out as before. THE most important observations is that the formating of lists, bullets etc does not seem to work making it difficult to read many of the threads. The PMs did not make it over and the signature info linked to the contributor is not there anymore. The forum contains a treasure of information and is one of the reasons the customers has put up with all the problems, the lack of real automation functionality and the many times lack of help from service. Please please don’t stop working on this until it is at least as good as the old forum.

1 Like

Looking forward to the new forum!

This looks like an exact carbon copy of Hubitat’s Community Forum…

They’re using https://www.discourse.org/ software.

Thank you for the feedback. Bulleted and many BBcode snippets have been fixed now.
We’re working on addressing some cases where old quotes are not being shown correctly.

PM’s and Password hashes could not be migrated as they are not compatible with the new platform.

Tapatalk is not currently supported. However, one of the strong points of this platform is the Mobile version of it, which is awesome.

You only have to scroll down to see the latest posts on the topics that you have not read. Once at the end of the topic, the scroll will stick there the next time you visit. This is caused because “Read” status could not be migrated. A workaround is to mark ALL the latest posts as read, and once new content starts to pop up it will send you to the last reply.

The new forum doesn’t have the classic signature at the bottom of the post, but it does have a place for this, in your profile hover box. You can put whatever you like there.

Although we could add this as a custom function, we avoid doing custom changes as much as we can, as there is a chance it will cause problems with any future update.

Thanks, Sorin. Completely understand about the PMs, makes sense. Passwords go without saying–if you had been able to migrate those, I would have actually been concerned! :slight_smile:

I, for one, am really happy to have Markdown as an alternative to BBCode for formatting posts, and I love the live preview during editing. Sure, there’s a lot of wasted white space in the layout now, but that just seems to be the current Bootstrap-ish trend in everything these days. So yeah, it’s different, but I’m far too stubborn to not retrain myself and get fluent with it.

2 Likes

BTW, I’ve also recently discovered:

• If you select a snippet of text in a post and hit reply, it quotes it automatically;
  • In a list of topics, if you click on the number of replies in the topic, it pops up a little control where you can click to go to the first message or the last (no scrolling needed to get to the bottom).
  • In a topic, you can drag the time scale at right to move up and down–another way to get to the bottom of a topic more quickly than scrolling.
3 Likes

Good findings, also, on any list of topics, if you click on the number of replies to the right, it will pop-up these 2 buttons, which sends you either to the first or the last reply in the thread.

It also, has drag-n-drop for images or files, in the composer window.