New Dashboard Feedback

No that’s not how Vera works, it’s like a file system in that nothing is really deleted, it’s just flagged that it is deleted and therefore ignored by the OS. I discovered this in the early days of testing reactor with @rigpapa

Different things here.
plugin files indeed never get deleted.
Scenes are codes inside the user-data.json and get deleted. The problem is… you may have a different file locally than what is in the cloud because it maintains its own mirror. So… you can get out of sync.

Not sure if that’s still an issue, but it was the case that when a device was deleted, an associated notification scene (which is hidden anyway) was not being removed from user_data. I haven’t seen that bug in 7.29 or since.

1 Like

Ah, I just assumed it was normal behavior. :smiley:

1 Like

This sure got off topic fast. There was a question about how to know when to turn a light switch on/off. I use sensors for most of that. In the kitchen and living rooms, if the ambient light level is high enough, and motion is detected, the light stays off. Otherwise the light goes on. In the laundry room, only motion turns it on. In the bathroom, it is a combination of motion, time of day, and humidity. The more you automate, the less scenes you have. With PLEG, I only use scenes to notify me of low battery devices.

Back to the dashboard - Vast improvement. My wife got a new iPhone XR and she cannot download VeraMate. She is using VeraMobile but customizing it is a little time consuming so for now, she is more interested in seeing the cameras when PushOver sends a message that motion was detected.

1 Like

Here are some of my complaints with the app dashboard on the iPhone:

• I can rename sections like ‘Cameras’ but how about deleting them? I dont have a camera that integrates with Vera? Better yet, how about an option to actually SELECT what device categories I want to see in the Dashboard?
  • Instead of generic devices, how about be able to have grouped categories? Lights, switches, thermostats, etc? Like mentioned previously, allow customization as to what to hide/show.
  • Only 3 scenes are displayed while I have quite a few more.Going into the scenes section, I dont see the ability to flag favorites in the app. On that note, I cant even set favorites on the devices in that section either.

A bit useless so far IMHO.

Hello,
The new Dashboard actually offers you the abilities you just described. You can delete the sections you don’t want, you can create new ones, you can edit their content.
Please watch the demo video, it may help you customize your Dashboard: Demo Video - YouTube

3 Likes

“For now” the New Dashboard has a soft graphic, but … the layout is illogical and not cognitive.
Big and useless Menus with the name of the House written, then a useless Menu “Scene” with the scenes in horrible icons that I take a lot of space, another huge menu with “Devices” to put the devices and another one down big menu with “Cameras” written guess what’s in it ??
But why all these menus ?? what are they for? … but are we kidding?
I have a tablet on the wall and have to scroll to see 3 functions ?!
After years of waiting for a serious App from VERA, arrive with this beautiful white house in the background !! oh well, but I have 4 (four) I repeat 4 menus for 3 functions … come on!
Wake Up!!! ImperiHome has had everything in one page for years, whoever created this app has no design experience and is probably proud to call it innovative

Take it easy. This is version 1 …Ithink new features like rooms with small icons so your hole house is in one screen without scrolling. Then tap for example Livingroom and then all your devices (that you added Will come up in a new section).

Better that they dev it in small steps an it works…

But i agee with your thougts…
/ Mattias

2 Likes

Hi @Nettuno ,

We take your satisfaction very seriously. Every developer working in this company cares deeply about our users happiness.

We always strive to listen to our customers and take their feedback for improvement. On that note, could you please give us your feedback about how exactly you would like to see the design modified so that you don’t have to scroll to see 3 functions for examples?

We are looking for detailed feedback about how exactly you want to see the product evolve.

A screenshot with some drawing on top would be great.

Please provide us your exact needs, we will be more than happy to implement them.

So is there anyone who has dared to ask all these Menu with feedback?! … a genius!
my opinion? Just remove the name of the house … why? (I’ll tell you a secret … it’s obvious that it’s my house) …
then make a unique window where to put the mouldable icons !!
es. if I impose a space of 6x4 icons, there will be icons that I will be able to set 4 spaces of 2 spaces and others of 1 space! etc
It seems stupid to me to do the menu with the name of what’s inside, and it’s obvious that if I put a thermostat device it’s not a camera!
Imagine if I went around with writing on the chest “shirt” and, under “pants” and then a plaque on the shoes “my shoes”

P.S
forgive my translated English

Are you trying to open the garage door while the phone is in CarPlay?

The general idea is this…

You can create your own sections (or Menu as you called it), containing the devices OR scenes that you like to have quick access to. And these sections you can name to your own satisfaction. The naming is of course to help you see what that section contains…especially if you have a lot of sections.

The initial sections (Menus) are just the default ones that comes with the upgraded version. So create or delete the ones that you need or don’t need.

I think UI is one of the toughest aspects and it’ll never please all the people all the time (look at when Apple removed the Z-axis from iOS)
Having said that I’m not enamoured with the dashboard for reasons stated ^^^^ up there somewhere but with respect to the ‘House’ ‘Issue’ there seem to be a fair few people on here with >1 house that might weill find it useful to see at a glance where there are connected to…

C

Discovered the issue here! I had no idea about the configuration settings screen from the > arrow next to the name of the ‘home’. Perhaps make this more clear? Looks like most of my items are covered now.

However, the ‘General system alerts’ menu item is a bit silly. I dont want to pay for ‘add security with professional monitoring’. I would think this option would be more useful - like perhaps actual system alerts that were triggered, ie. someone logged into the unit, a sensor caused an alert, etc.

I agree with the name take alot of space . But if you have multiple veras on diffrent places you maybe need to be imformed where you are in the app… But it should be lifted up on top and smaller text and transparent.
With rooms instead you for shore only need on screen one screen no scrolling to access averything.

Rooms and then the ability to if you want have devices like now or maybe call it favorits.
Missing is also All lights off / X lights on like old dashboard…

/Mattias.

Yes, it’s worked all of once for me.

You can do almost everything you’ve asked for, it’s just not obvious how to do it until you’ve watched the video adina posted earlier.

1 Like

Why the limitation of scenes or devices In a group? I’d like to be able to place both in a single container. I only have 2 or 3 scenes I’d like to have easily accessible, and have to waste lots of space to do so in the new dashboard.

1 Like

I think that even tough the app is’nt perfect It’s still a step forward.

2 Likes