New AutoView Z-Wave Somfy Motors from Bali

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:39, topic:192780”]Back in July before I fished up this Room remodel I took a few videos to show the Bali Autoview Z-wave plus in action.

and

I also have a bunch of pictures here on dropbox.

Battery life has been better then I thought (or not working) still showing 100% with about 1 open and close per day since July.[/quote]

since you have battery operated, can you clue me in please: (1) i have 9 windows not same sizes but about 31-1/8 W, 65-1/4 H, do i need dual or just single battery wand, (2) is the battery case visible or hidden somewhere behind the headrail. i dont want to deal with replacing batteries periodically but i dont want to use transformer because the power cords will be very unsightly in a room where we entertain guests and relatives. it’s an inside mount and hard wiring 9 shades is not an option. thanks

The battery wand on mine is hidden between the window frame and blinds on my install, this might vary depending on how your window is setup. I went with one wand on mine, but I can plugin a 2nd anytime in the future if I choose too. From what I know the hight of the window make a bigger impact on battery life then the width due to how long the motor runs to pull the blinds up.

Has anyone tried using a solar charger setup with battery power on these AutoView blinds? I have 3 windows high up in an open (24ft ceiling) room. The blinds are like 4ft wide by 5ft tall. I’d like to have them be able to completely cycle 2x a day on a schedule.

I really don’t want to have to grab my extension ladder to recharge the batteries every few months. If I can go may 2-3 years without having to get up there, that would be awesome. It doesn’t seem like I’m hearing much information about using a solar panel to help keep the batteries charged. Any info would be great!

[quote=“jlind, post:63, topic:192780”]Has anyone tried using a solar charger setup with battery power on these AutoView blinds? I have 3 windows high up in an open (24ft ceiling) room. The blinds are like 4ft wide by 5ft tall. I’d like to have them be able to completely cycle 2x a day on a schedule.

I really don’t want to have to grab my extension ladder to recharge the batteries every few months. If I can go may 2-3 years without having to get up there, that would be awesome. It doesn’t seem like I’m hearing much information about using a solar panel to help keep the batteries charged. Any info would be great![/quote]

I’m sure something can be made, but solar is not a factory option for these. Atleast not when I got mine.

Is the battery pack something that you charge as a unit or is it expected that you’ll remove the batteries to charge them?

The pack take AA’s batteries and has a USB connector that plugs into the blinds. So the “Battery Pack” is really just a battery holder that you load with AA’s. Like my door lock I use “Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA Batteries”. I also think that’s the same batteries they came with. Rechargeable cheaper in long run but don’t last as long and have less total voltage to start with.

maybe someone knows the answer to my questions and would appreciate your input.
(1) i have 9 shades. i re-assigned shade 9’s two button remote to be the group controller successfully. so when press up/down button on the group remote control (shade 9), all the other shades respond, and these other shades (8 of them) can also be controlled by their individual remote control. what happen to shade 9? i cannot open/close just by itself

(2) to include theses 9 shades to vera, i understand i have to reset or exclude all the remotes and the shades from their network. will i lose the group control feature?

[quote=“waltzer11, post:67, topic:192780”]maybe someone knows the answer to my questions and would appreciate your input.
(1) i have 9 shades. i re-assigned shade 9’s two button remote to be the group controller successfully. so when press up/down button on the group remote control (shade 9), all the other shades respond, and these other shades (8 of them) can also be controlled by their individual remote control. what happen to shade 9? i cannot open/close just by itself

(2) to include theses 9 shades to vera, i understand i have to reset or exclude all the remotes and the shades from their network. will i lose the group control feature?[/quote]

Not sure the right or wrong way to do this, but for me I hardly ever use the remotes… But what I did is include the shades and also include the remotes. Then use the remotes in a scene to control the shades I want. So there is no direct control of shade from remote.

Remotes for me just added as a scene controller. I can see battery life and create events based on button presses blinds or not related to blinds.

Does anyone know the tube diameter of the the solar shades with the Autoview option? I’m thinking of buying 2 more blinds for a room where I already have 3 blinds.com blinds (manual operation) and I would like to be able to convert the exiting ones to Autoview. The current blinds have a 1.5in OD and 1 3/8ID Aluminum tube with a single key notch that is ~0.25in

Also, anyone know how I would be able to get autoview motors and brackets for the existing blinds?

Any other ideas for 1 3/8ID blinds?

[quote=“msweetmo, post:69, topic:192780”]Does anyone know the tube diameter of the the solar shades with the Autoview option? I’m thinking of buying 2 more blinds for a room where I already have 3 blinds.com blinds (manual operation) and I would like to be able to convert the exiting ones to Autoview. The current blinds have a 1.5in OD and 1 3/8ID Aluminum tube with a single key notch that is ~0.25in

Also, anyone know how I would be able to get autoview motors and brackets for the existing blinds?

Any other ideas for 1 3/8ID blinds?[/quote]

I don’t think your going to find “Autoview motors”

I was able to use the following video to pair my new Bali shade to Vera. I selected generic device within Vera edge when I paired. I have it being controlled with the included shade remote as well as Alexa through Vera scenes.

Using routines within Alexa i am able to execute saying Alexa open the shade and Alexa close the shade

The following also works for Vera even though it says smart things:

[quote=“jlind, post:63, topic:192780”]Has anyone tried using a solar charger setup with battery power on these AutoView blinds? I have 3 windows high up in an open (24ft ceiling) room. The blinds are like 4ft wide by 5ft tall. I’d like to have them be able to completely cycle 2x a day on a schedule.

I really don’t want to have to grab my extension ladder to recharge the batteries every few months. If I can go may 2-3 years without having to get up there, that would be awesome. It doesn’t seem like I’m hearing much information about using a solar panel to help keep the batteries charged. Any info would be great![/quote]

I got it work with the Somfy Solar Pack made for Somfy Blinds. The autoview power supply puts out 15V and the pack puts out 12V (10V for rechargeable). And since the AA is in series, it’s the same amperage for the AA’s. Just cut off the end of the wire with a male micro USB and connect it to the Somfy Battery Tube’s cable and use the included Y splitter. Then connect to the motor. It’s been working great for me so far.

Thanks for the info. Perfect for tough to reach places but at $140 that?s a lot of batteries :slight_smile:

I have had my two blinds for just over a year now and have not replaced batteries. One shows 100% one show 90%. I open and close about once a day, maybe not everyday. I pay around 11.00 for the 8 batteries it takes and use Lithium AA Energizers. I thought I would need solar but I’m good with batteries. I also only use a single battery pack, not the optional double. But I would say solar is not needed unless your opening and closing several times a day. I also just bought one more blind that I just installed last weekend. This one is 90" wide. None of my blinds are more then 3 foot tall. And the batteries will eat up faster if you window is 6 foot tall vs. 3ft due to the motor run time to raise and lower the double height. The width adds a bit more load to the motors but don’t think it effects battery life as much as just taking twice as long to raise the blind due to a tall window.

Do you have to be a costco member to purchase the AutoView Bali shades? That is the only option I am seeing when I google.

I got mine at blindsaver.com
I selected Bali DiamondCell Double Cell Light Filtering Shades then when you go in to - customize and buy - step 4 makes you select how to control them and - autoview motorization - is an option

Also as an FYI it comes by default with a little remote for the specific shade so you don?t need to buy the single channel remote they have as an option.

I am not cheap but i consider myself a smart buyer. so I did comparative shopping for about 2-3 months comparing prices: BlindSaver.com, Blinds.com, Costco, Home Depot, Lowes, American Blinds and probably 2 more stores. I ended up buying from Blindsaver.com 9 Autoview Bali roller shades for $2150.48. I don’t mind waiting for a long time. I will do it again this winter holidays. I don’t want to bother with replacing batteries so I bought all with transformer. It came out to $318.59 per shade

Depending on the material and size, with no batteries 318 seems like a normal price at HomeDepot. Bali was just 30% off two weeks ago. I spend around 350 for Black out 3/8" double cell with batteries. I think it was like 20-30 cheaper without batteries.

$318.59 each shade (9 of them) 31-1/2" W x 65-1/4"H; light filtering roller shades, Estevan collection, color: Boutique including Valance. Total for the 9 shades $2867.31 less discount of $716.83 = $2150.48, no tax. At that time everyone else are more expensive including Home Depot. It’s worth investing time to shop around. just my 2 cents.

I have had these for about 2 years now. Blindsaver was the cheapest , they are all distributors as the original manufacturer is springwindowfashions . I started off with energizer lithium batteries , but realized that would be expensive , I also tried some rechargeable lithum (12v) batteries from a brand called (Sorbo) , they work quite well with a usb charging interface. I eventually decided to hardwire , cost me about 80 bucks for all components for 8 blinds giving the right Volts and Amps to each blind.

I can share components if anyones interested.