New Android App for IMMEDIATE ALERTING from Vera.

I really appreciate the attempt, as a Vera alerting app to Android smartphones is sorely needed. However, it did not work for me and now my Vera controller is not working correctly. The four Luup modules you supplied did NOT create a device and now they can’t be removed from my Vera box’s list of Luup code.

A screenshot of the messed-up list of custom Luup modules is attached.
Here’s the text of them, scraped directly off my Vera screen:

C%3A%5Cinstall%5CVera2%5CVeralert%20Plugins%5CD_VeraAlert.json View download
C%3A%5Cinstall%5CVera2%5CVeralert%20Plugins%5CD_VeraAlert.xml View download
C%3A%5Cinstall%5CVera2%5CVeralert%20Plugins%5CI_VeraAlert.xml View download
C%3A%5Cinstall%5CVera2%5CVeralert%20Plugins%5CS_VeraAlert.xml View download
D_AvMisc1.xml View download
D_BinaryLight1.json View download
D_BinaryLight1.xml View download

Until the kinks get sorted out, this one should be in the “hobbyist” category, IMHO not ready for prime-time just yet. If I can’t recover this Vera box, I’ll buy another one.
I encourage you to get it working as then it will be very useful.

The same thing happened to me. The file names have the drive letter and path attached to the file names.

I SSH’d into vera and moved (unix mv command) the incorrect file name to the correct file name and all is well.

Outstanding help, Mike9999. Your fix worked for me too and I’m grateful.
The app now alerts my Android version 2.2 on my Galaxy S Vibrant phone. Lag time is a few seconds to my Gmail ID using Meebo as an IM client.
This app is now a winner and I retract what I said about it being not ready. This is worth the time it takes to set up and the author is to be commended.
He has done the Vera community a great service.

Here are the details I found:

1. Log in to the Vera box with SSH
  2. Locate the LuuP files with this command: find / -name VeraAlert.
  3. The files end in “.lzo” not “.xml” as they might appear
  4. The directory is: “/etc/cmh-ludl”
  5. These commands did the rename for me but they will differ for others:

mv C:\install\Vera2\Veralert\ Plugins\D_VeraAlert.json.lzo D_VeraAlert.json.lzo
mv C:\install\Vera2\Veralert\ Plugins\D_VeraAlert.xml.lzo D_VeraAlert.xml.lzo
mv C:\install\Vera2\Veralert\ Plugins\S_VeraAlert.xml.lzo S_VeraAlert.xml.lzo
mv C:\install\Vera2\Veralert\ Plugins\I_VeraAlert.xml.lzo I_VeraAlert.xml.lzo

Happy to help!

Hi there - what do I need to do to avoid this again? Create a different download file suffix?

My guess is that the cause of the file renaming has something to do with the browser upload mechanism. Somehow, the DOS path information is getting stored with the file name as it gets uploaded to Unix. A trial of different browsers for uploading might detect the differences. I use Firefox and MS-IE on my Windows 7-64 PC, although I don’t remember which one I used when I uploaded these four .xml files for VeraAlert.

Here’s the fundamental issue:

Why does this filename: “C:\install\Vera2\Veralert\ Plugins\D_VeraAlert.json.lzo” get stored on Unix when the name should be: “D_VeraAlert.json.lzo” ?

Apparently – The upload mechanism of some browsers stores the entire DOS path as the file name. Smarter minds than me can explain why.

BTW, I finally have the alerting mechanism I always wanted for my Vera. It used to do home control but now it does home monitoring as well. If I leave my house, it will alert me if an internal motion detector trips, or the furnace fails, or an outside door is opened, or the batteries in the remote units get low, or a pipe breaks and water floods, or the temperature falls outside limits, or a code is entered in my Schlage electronic locks, etc. This is a fundamental, not incremental, extension of Vera’s usefulness. Kudos to the brain who built this app.

Ahhh shucks - I’m blushing !!

Just for the followers of this thread, I’ve updated the app now so it has 5 different alert types you can set. See the thread http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6509.0 for more details.

Awesome work ragmondo!!!
Just installed it and already loving it. I am an iPhone convert to Android and was missing the Prowl notifications on my Samsung Infuse. Your app has filled in the gap wonderfully. Notifications are almost instantaneous.
Wonder if a GUI interface is possible.

Wow… thanks very much for this plugin! I really like the google talk functionality even though I have an android phone recent enough to be able to run the app.

One request though – would it be possible to make the google talk messages still work even when the recipient is invisible? I am receiving them fine if I’m visible, so I suspect maybe your server does not send them when the recipient appears not to be online?

Thanks again – I’m hoping this would be a simple thing to fix, as I like to sit around invisible at times.

I installed this today and set up an alert when my security system alarms. It took at least 10 minutes for me to get the alert!
I have a Motorola Axim running 2.2.2. I am on AT&T. I also have an alert programmed through Mios and I got that within 2 Min.
I also failed to say I am running beta version 1.1.1298 on the vera

1. Install a “virtual device” in your vera software using files from the link above (the 2nd link down). There will be 4 of them, “D_VeraAlert.xml, I_VeraAlert.xml, S_VeraAlert.xml and D_VeraAlert.json”. Upload all of them to you vera !!

Can you tell me how to do this? I currently have Vera sending SMS’s, but would like to use this app. I installed it on my Android ok, but don’t know how to complete Step 2.

Thanks

@cap10ray,

Welcome!

Take a look at this Wiki page.

You’re looking to do step 2 I think. Then continue with step 3 in @ragmondo’s instructions.

I just found this app yesterday, but I wanted to let the dev (and other users) know how great it is! Installation was pretty simple, and the alarms are very cool.

The custom alerts are excellent, I use a TTS voice to says “Welcome Home” and “Lights Off” for my various scenes that fire automatically when my phone is within bluetooth proximity of my home.

This looked intriguing so I thought I’d give it a shot. I got the app running on my tablet and it gives me an id. Then I followed the directions for adding the files to Vera and that all worked.

And I think I finally figured out how to create the scene, but I’m not getting any alerts. I checked that the veralert app is running on my tablet. In UI4 I have a plugin called Vera Alert with two tabs, Settings and Advanced. I have not touched anything there.

Ntext I have a wireless door sensor which I know is working because the little guy turns red in UI4 when the door opens. I have ot made any changes to any tabs for that device.

And finally I have a scene called “Door open”. In the Commands tab, I have the Vera Alert device and it is checked. The top box has the name of the alert I want to see (“door opened”) and the bottom box has my Alert id from the app. One odd thing - the names of both of those boxes is “undefined”. Is that right?

From the dropdown to the right of those boxes it says “and leave it”, so I left it.

Then in the Advanced tab it says “Scene is active” and that dropdown says “when all devices in the scene are properly set”. Under that it says “Pick a device”. I pick the Vera Alert device and check SendAlert. The I close the tab and hit Save on the Dashboard.

Then I open the door with the tablet in my hand and … nothing. No alert.

What am I doing wrong?

Update:

I hate answering my own questions but since no one else did, I simply had not set an Event for the scene. Adding the door sensor under the Events tab fixed that problem. And BTW, you also have to set “Tripped?” to Yes to get the alert when the door is opened. Otherwise it only alerts when the door is closed.

Anyway, this whole package is way cool! I get the alert in about one second on my tablet. I have one of my motion detectors programmed too now, though that one for some reason takes about three seconds to deliver the alert.

One last question though: I see that veralert can receive five different alerts? What do I need to set in the scenes to make that happen? Right now both devices generate an “Alert 1”.

for the newbies- just a reminder you dont even need to install anything on your tablet or phone unless you want to. You can also just use the built in google talk app- IF you only care for text alerts. For the identifier you just enter your gmail address you use for google talk.

[quote=“Michele, post:55, topic:167861”]…
And finally I have a scene called “Door open”. In the Commands tab, I have the Vera Alert device and it is checked. The top box has the name of the alert I want to see (“door opened”) and the bottom box has my Alert id from the app. One odd thing - the names of both of those boxes is “undefined”. Is that right?

From the dropdown to the right of those boxes it says “and leave it”, so I left it.

Then in the Advanced tab it says “Scene is active” and that dropdown says “when all devices in the scene are properly set”. Under that it says “Pick a device”. I pick the Vera Alert device and check SendAlert. …[/quote]

Just FYI for new things you might set up-
you actually only need to use the advanced tab bit of send alert.

Thanks - that’s handy to know.

I did figure out that to use a different alert tone you have to set “AlertTone2” as the message to be displayed (or some other number up to 5). But now, there’s no notification text on the tablet and the alert only rings once.

There are times when that’s good but there are other times when I’d like the alert to keep sounding until I dismiss it. Could we have that as a feature? Pretty please?

Any chance of getting your app working on UI5?

Hi Kyle,

Can you try the plugin I attached?