Nest issues

Watou,

Nice deduction! Working fine after to change to TLSv1. BTW, I’m in Austin, Texas and using AT&T Gigapower. I wonder if it’s an isolated server config that you and I are hitting or Nest is rolling out new server configs and we just happened to hit them first. At least it doesn’t appear to be an API blacklist.

Thanks again!

Thanks, glad it worked for you. We don’t share the same location or ISP, but somehow I think we may have been using the same transport server that no longer supports SSL 3.0. Perhaps they stage their rollouts to find issues before rolling them out to all their servers. In any case, it’s good to see these old and weak security protocols get shaken out of the Internet.

I’ve submitted v1.5 of the plugin to apps.mios.com, so it should be available within a few days. The README including change log is here: [url=http://cocu.la/vera/nest/README.md]http://cocu.la/vera/nest/README.md[/url].

To anyone who needs a quicker fix: please use the I_Nest1.xml file I attached earlier until the 1.5 version of the plugin is available.

Thanks again for your help to @egoh and others who weighed in.

watou

Thanks for this @Watou. This plugin is a real asset to my system.

I had same issue of nest not updating current temp. and set point since 03/13. The nest app and browser nest control was working fine. I uploaded I_Nest1.xml. This has resolved my issue as well. Thank you very much for finding the issue and fixing it. I am back to my nest control via Vera.

Just wanted to weigh in and say I was having the same problem and this resolved my issues as well.

Watou, thanks for making this plugin and turning around a fix so quickly!

My nest seems to have started to do this a few days or so ago too. I will try the new file.

@Watou, The new “I_Nest1.xml” file works very for me as well. Fixed the issued in a snap. Thank you!!! :slight_smile:

I just noticed last night that my plugin had lost communication as well. The file provided resolved the issue. Thanks @Watou!

This fixed connection issue. Thanks!

But I have another issue.
I’m running UI6 and recently started having issue with it reading temperature in Celcius even though it’s set to F. Image attached. Notice how where it has temp it says “of” but the number is the celcius value. Any help on how to get this to read correctly?

Sorry to reply with two questions, but they will help me make changes if needed:

[ol][li]Forgive my ignorance, but at this point, is UI6 an official release, or a beta, accidental or otherwise unofficial release?[/li]
[li]If UI6 is an official release, is there an official and different way to determine the Vera’s temperature scale from plugin code that works with both UI5 and UI6?[/li][/ol]

I would call it unofficial, and I would not support it either if I was you :slight_smile:

People have been warned about updating.

I’m an unofficial accident to UI6… Wish I would have read forum and knew it wasn’t official but listed on the website as update. I’m running fine and all, just the nest device reading temp wrong only problem I know of at the moment. Rest of plugins i’m using are UI6 compatible and also my phone app updated. No reason to for anyone to update though, nothing really different other than login.

To anyone who is using the unofficial UI6 and is having trouble with the temperature scale in the Nest plugin: you are invited to hack the I_Nest1.xml file uploaded earlier in this topic, and change the 149th line in a text editor:

veraTemperatureScale = ((code == 0) and (data ~= nil) and (data.temperature ~= nil)) and data.temperature or "F"

to

veraTemperatureScale = "F"

or

veraTemperatureScale = "C"

as you wish. You would have to make a similar change in future plugin releases, until…
When there is an official UI6, or when there is official guidance on how plugins can reliably detect the preferred temperature scale on both UI5 and later versions, I will update the plugin. Until then, it is either a bug in UI6 or at the very least a moving target I would prefer not to try to track.

The new XML resolved my issue as well. I just noticed it was not connected… not sure how long it was out as I was out of town.

Thanks for the quick fix!

I wonder why some of us were affected, and others not?

[quote=“strangely, post:35, topic:180170”]I wonder why some of us were affected, and others not?[/quote]Rolling software upgrades.

Mine weren’t impacted until yesterday, then I applied the patch and all was well again.

Hi all,

To anyone who is seeing what appears to be a dead connection, reenter your nest.com password and press the Set button. I just had to go through that to get a working connection again. If anyone has any insights to add to that, please do so here.

Regards,
watou

[quote=“watou, post:33, topic:180170”]To anyone who is using the unofficial UI6 and is having trouble with the temperature scale in the Nest plugin: you are invited to hack the I_Nest1.xml file uploaded earlier in this topic, and change the 149th line in a text editor:

veraTemperatureScale = ((code == 0) and (data ~= nil) and (data.temperature ~= nil)) and data.temperature or "F"

to

veraTemperatureScale = "F"

or

veraTemperatureScale = "C"

as you wish. You would have to make a similar change in future plugin releases, until…
When there is an official UI6, or when there is official guidance on how plugins can reliably detect the preferred temperature scale on both UI5 and later versions, I will update the plugin. Until then, it is either a bug in UI6 or at the very least a moving target I would prefer not to try to track.[/quote]

Thanks, that fixed it.

I had the connection problem as well, which was fixed by the new .xml file (thanks watou) and I immediately had good connection again. The following morning I noticed that I had lost connection again, so I followed the tip to re-enter the password and hit “set.” That fixed the problem, but again only temporarily. 6 or 8 hours later I noticed connectivity was lost again. Re-entering the password immediately brings connectivity back.

Is anyone else finding that the fix is only sticking temporarily or is it just me?

I am constantly checking my connection to see if I encounter this problem, but so far I’ve only had to force a fresh login the one time (reported earlier). It’s entirely possible that there is some semantic difference recently introduced in the session logic, but as of yet I don’t have enough to go on. I am obviously interested in hearing others’ observations, in hopes that we can keep the current plugin humming along until there is an official, documented API to switch to.

Regards,
watou

UPDATE: I just saw my session had “fouled” again, and needed the login refreshed by re-entering the username or password and pressing the “Set” button. If anyone can find anything in the logs related to this, please let me know and I will take a look tomorrow.

UPDATE 2: I saw the stale connection just now again, but the native web client is also now stuck with stale data, so it makes me wonder if this might be an unintentional change that is causing this issue. Any observations and insights welcome.