Need Tips for installing 25+ devices...

Hope you guys can throw some useful tips on this… I am going to configure 25+ z-wave devices with VeraLite for one of my friend/client… I currently have same controller with 8-9 devices at my home… its working as expected, but I was able to pair very few (2-3) of them on 1st attempt itself. This being 25+ devices, I don’t want to spend hours in front of the client trying to add/remove them constantly. So thought of checking with the experts here…

Here is the list of devices:
10 of Vision Z-Wave Shock, Vibration & Glass Break Sensor ZS5101US - From reviews I understand this is not exactly a Glass break sensor and need to install it on window itself.
2 of GoControl WNK01-311KIT Z-Wave Premium Wink Enabled Security Kit - Comes with 2x Siren, 2x motion & 6x door sensors. - Can I use this siren outside?
3 of Ecolink Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector, Pet Immune (PIRZWAVE2-ECO) - This took hours and hours to pair with my VeraLite and still not working properly at my home.
1 of Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Water Sensor (DSB45-ZWUS) - I installed it at my home with no issues.
2 of 2GIG CT100 Z-Wave Programmable Thermostat Off-White - I have couple of them with no issues.
I might get couple of repeaters & some on/off modules/lights.

Here are the questions (in addition to above ones).

• Can I configure the controller & all the devices at my home upfront (connecting to my intranet, but creating new userid at verahome) and then go to my friends place and connect it to his router? I believe it should work, but just wanted to confirm.
  • Any tips with naming conventions, so that he will know which needs battery change easily.
  • Any general tips for pairing the devices? - I will follow the basic rule of delete 1st and add… but never had luck with pairing 1st time.
  • Any tips with scenes/general config - I normally reduce the polling to every 3+ hours to avoid battery draining. Also setup low battery notification on all devices.

TIA…
Allpisces.

[quote=“allpisces78, post:1, topic:190343”]- Can I configure the controller & all the devices at my home upfront (connecting to my intranet, but creating new userid at verahome) and then go to my friends place and connect it to his router? I believe it should work, but just wanted to confirm.[/quote] Yes, but there will be issues. See below.***

- Any tips with naming conventions, so that he will know which needs battery change easily.
This is user preference. I use descriptive names and rooms to easily identify devices. When there are lots of window sensors I label the sensors and number the descriptions.
- Any general tips for pairing the devices? - I will follow the basic rule of delete 1st and add... but never had luck with pairing 1st time.
The best technique is to follow the device's manual. Include first. If you encounter trouble, exclude and re-attempt the include. I've never seen nor heard of your "basic rule".
- Any tips with scenes/general config - I normally reduce the polling to every 3+ hours to avoid battery draining. Also setup low battery notification on all devices.
You're best off not changing the polling settings from default. You're almost certainly not configuring polling the way that you think you are or hope that you are and in many cases, manual changes to polling is detrimental.

I foresee two problems for you in the above installation. First, you are installing mostly battery powered devices. These do not route or participate in the Z-Wave mesh. This means that unless you are installing into a small space with Vera close(~6 meters) to all devices, you will probably have communication problems. Your installation probably needs powered devices switches, appliance modules, or repeaters. I’m not a fan of repeaters. An appliance module is a repeater and a usable/switchable receptacle and is therefore superior to a repeater alone that blocks an outlet and switches nothing.

Second, and related to the communication issues discusses above, setting up the Z-Wave network(including) in advance will mean that your routing will change when the devices are re-installed in their final location. It will be necessary to wait for the overnight heal process to re-calculate the routing and figure out the new locations. This means the possibility/likelihood of devices that work fine on your test bench not working until the next day after installation(assuming there are sufficient powered devices for proper mesh routing).

Thanks for all your valuable tips/recommendations. This house is not too big (25ftx50ft) but has 3 floors… that’s the reason I was planning to get couple of repeaters on each floor. But I agree to your point on wasted outlets…so I am will get couple of “GE Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control and Appliance Module” - which should work as repeaters as well…

Regarding “You’re best off not changing the polling settings from default. You’re almost certainly not configuring polling the way that you think you are or hope that you are and in many cases, manual changes to polling is detrimental.” - My Kwikset 910 used to drain battery every 2-3 weeks and after researching this forum I changed the polling to 10800 (3 hrs) to get it fixed… may be should i just change individual device settings instead of controllers?

one more question - Can I use the go-control siren outdoor?

Thanks again…
Allpisces.

The GoControl/Linear WA105DBZ-1 is an indoor siren. You may be able to use it outdoors in a well sheltered spot so that it is not exposed to the elements, but don’t expect it to last.

And yes and battery powered device that starts with a default polling rate lower than 3 hours should be adjusted on the device (not the polling rate of the Vera). Most are three hours or longer. For things like key fobs or minimotes I set them to zero, they never need to be polled since they move arround the house.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will post here on how it goes or if I face any challenges.