Need items for Vacation home... Would appreciate your input...

I am looking to get Mi casa Verde or Vera3 for a vacation condo… I want it to work with a door lock and also a camera… can someone recommend some pieces for me… I was told the Yale Security YRL-220-ZW-619 is a good lock to use with Z-wave… the door that the lock will be on is metal… I had heard problems that yale lock might not work with metal door… any suggestions…

I don’t see any problems with the door being metal. Some people might be worried about antenna issues I’m assuming. But that might depend more on how far the VERA is and what else is in it’s path.

I have kwiksets on on rear doors that are metal. My front door is wood.

I don’t think either brand would have an issue unless Vera was far away from the door.

I’m not familiar with Kwikset or Yale locks but on my Schlage ones the logic circuitry is on the inside part of the lock that is on top of the door surface. So as long as Vera is on the same side of the door, connection is not an issue even with a metal door. My front door is metal as well and no problems with the lock.

All are the same.
It’s not wise for any company to put the batteries, circuit board, antenna or any of that out doors for a bunch of reasons.

Thank you for the comments… what I heard about metal doors has nothing to do with the signal… I heard that there are dimples on the escutcheon… they dig into the wood door to hold it firm and flush to the door… I heard that on a metal door, it prevents the unit from sitting flush… he had to drill holes in the door where the dimples were touching the door so that they recessed into the drilled holes…

That aside… I just got back from the condo and it turns out that the deadbolt above the lock is too close to the door handle… the button housing hits the deadbolt above so I can’t use the YRL-220-ZW-619… I would need to use another brand that does not extend too high above the door handle… or go with a deadbolt instead of a door handle… I’m not sure which way to go…

[quote=“tomardo, post:5, topic:182421”]Thank you for the comments… what I heard about metal doors has nothing to do with the signal… I heard that there are dimples on the escutcheon… they dig into the wood door to hold it firm and flush to the door… I heard that on a metal door, it prevents the unit from sitting flush… he had to drill holes in the door where the dimples were touching the door so that they recessed into the drilled holes…

That aside… I just got back from the condo and it turns out that the deadbolt above the lock is too close to the door handle… the button housing hits the deadbolt above so I can’t use the YRL-220-ZW-619… I would need to use another brand that does not extend too high above the door handle… or go with a deadbolt instead of a door handle… I’m not sure which way to go…[/quote]

I only recommend the deadbolts.

I use the Kwikset locks on my doors (at the time, they were the only motor-driven door locks so I could positively lock and unlock doors remotely). At my primary residence, I have security doors (like really hefty screen doors) that originally had a 2-hole box on each, one for the deadbolt above the traditional round doorknob. I plugged the deadbolt holes and used a Kwikset lever handle where the round handle used to be. However, I had to get a 1/2" spacer in the approximate shape of the battery case made for each door so I could lift the battery cover and replace the batteries without hitting the glass window (or screen in summer). Incidentally, I replaced my summer screens with security screens so nobody can just cut the screen and unlock the door. I used the Kwikset deadbolts on my inside wood doors, but only lock those when away from home in the summer (they consume lots of battery power). Counting my garage people doors, and the main door at my mountain cabin, I have 4 of the Kwikset lever handles and 3 of the Kwikset bolts - and I still have one more door to do on my primary residence. They are not perfect, but they work well. My house and wood doors are 120 years old so it took some finagling to get the deadbolts operating smoothly. The mountain cabin has a steel door. No signal or grip issues aside from having the spacers made for my steel security doors.