Need basic instructions for the Virtual Switch plugin

I’m looking for basic instructions on how to set up the UI5 Virtual Switch plugin.

I’m want to be able to set up a Home and Away state, where the Away state disables the various scheduled activities that happen when I am home.

I -have- searched the forums, but there are a whole lot of hits, to the point that it would take lots and lots of time to read through the various threads to see what has BASIC set up info. Better search functionality would be a Good Thing.

I love my two Veras, but I do get frustrated that there is not better documentation.

Any pointers would be very appreciated

Agreed, searching is a pain. I did the search for you and this post is really really similar to your needs. Start there.

Futzle,

Many thanks! I think I can handle this, now that I have something to grab onto.

If I were King (and it’s probably good that I’m not) I’d ask plugin programmers to include at least some written docs on their work.

[quote=“dweeks, post:3, topic:174251”]Futzle,

Many thanks! I think I can handle this, now that I have something to grab onto.

If I were King (and it’s probably good that I’m not) I’d ask plugin programmers to include at least some written docs on their work.[/quote]

I am sorry for only releasing the plugin for free and not having written any documentation, my king. 8) If I were a King, I would make sure the developpers would get some gold and respect for what they are doing.

No really, sorry. When I created the virtual switch plugin this was already widely spread in the forum, basically it was not even created by me. All I did is uploading and releasing it on apps.mios.com so users like you could use it without having to install it manually (well I also added some minor features). I have written documentation for all my other plugins, but for this I have never done it, and never specifically requested, you are the first one.

I hope you found all the information needed to get started.

“I hope you found all the information needed to get started.”

I did NOT NOT mean to sound ungrateful! I know that you invested many many hours into the programming. I’ll get it figured out sooner or later.

So what are you missing? Do you need something like a usage example, or rather lua code?

Usage.

How do I configure the Virtual Switch for Home or Away, and then create a scene that looks at a Home/Away to run lighting schedules.

Thanks!

What do you mean by “How do I configure the Virtual Switch for Home or Away”? Renaming the buttons? => not possible.

In a scene which should only run when the virtual switch is on, you have to enter some luup code like this (already linked above):

autoscene = luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:VSwitch1","Status",DeviceID) if(autoscene=="1")then return true else return false end
Then when the scene is triggered (manually, by shedule or by trigger), it will first check if the switch is on, if it is off it will return false and do nothing.

THANKS for the info!,

That’s exactly what I need to get started. I did not know (my fault no doubt) that Luup coding was required for even the easy stuff like detecting if the virtual switch was on or off.

I am a little bit oldschool 8). try these plugins (and read the forum for these plugins) to do it without code:
http://apps.mios.com/plugin.php?id=3018
http://apps.mios.com/plugin.php?id=3086
http://apps.mios.com/plugin.php?id=3066