My Vera Status After 4 years...

Just wanted to drop in and give a quick status update for any potential people considering the VERA and found this site…
I have installed a VERA about 5 years ago (maybe more). Use it with many Z-wave light switches, outlets, appliance/dimmer modules, honeywell thermostat, and a DSC home security system. My wife and I use an Android app called AutHomationHD to control everything. I started out on UI3 or UI4 (don’t recall) and somewhere over time I upgraded to UI5.
It’s been about 4 years since I ever had to touch Vera. The system is a setup and forget…and can’t ask for anything better! Thank you MicasaVerde for an outstanding and maintenance fee product.

I am considering enhancing my system of sensors to include smart heat register control and garage door sensor and controls, and especially like the ability to use Alexa to control my Vera! My system works so good that I will most likely just purchase an new VeraPlus and keep my old Vera as a “backup” hardware and configuration.

Once again…thanks for a great, flexible, product.

-imazman

I second your sentiments and also Thank Micasaverde for their continued dedication to this product. I have only had my VeraPlus for less than a year and my setup has taken off, wildly.

1 - Alarm, door/window sensors
2 - GE link bulbs
3 - Switchable outlet
4 - Garage Door opener/closer
5 - Nightly Status check sent via email
6 - Voice activation with Alexa
7 - Nest thermostat and CO/Smoke integration
8 - Netatmo weather Indoor/Outdoor
9 - Alerts via Email and Text messaging

Working on and to come:
1 - Individual stair led strip lighting with motion sensor
2 - Garden watering with soil moisture sensor

??? Wow, I wonder where ALL these OTHER posts are coming-from on this forum? And, for example, between Feb 23, 2016 until about Jan 11, 2017 - the topic “Vera Plus can’t detect device” has been viewed over twenty-three THOUSAND times.

"My wife and I use an Android app called AutHomationHD to control everything. " Doesn’t that mean you are writing your own macro commands rather than relying on the Vera Plus software code/logic? In my opinion, no wonder you’re not having any problems ! >:(

@DennisTheVera,
If you are referring to my setup, I do use code but, it’s not that much and I get examples and make them work. For example, the stairs that I will be illuminating, I found a blinking light LUA/LUUP code that I will use. I always try to use the built in GUI for functions rather than coding it.

I also try to only use compatible devices and I haven’t got into any real elaborate coding yet. (ex. if this and that but not this, then that).

To do, I forgot to mention:

• Change bulbs to switches — I found that the bulbs are great except, if you shutoff the light switch and remove power…
    – Also easier to hit light switch rather than tell Alexa to turn on light.
  • LED lighting in Crown Molding (once installed)
  • Natural Gas Detection (zwave) — Long time looking and may do the Fibaro universal device connected to a generic gas detector…
  • Main water shutoff with water detection (LeakSmart valve hasn’t arrived yet)

Wow! Good to hear everything is running smooth; a refreshing change. Same with my VeraPlus on UI7 (no luua or complicated coding) but if i had came here before i bought it - i wouldn’t have!

@DennisTheVera
I have only created a bunch of scenes like timed lights and if this and that then do something else. My choice of words probably weren’t very good when I said "My wife and I use an Android app called AutHomationHD to control everything. "…probably should have said “My wife and I use an Android app called AutHomationHD to turn devices on/off and run scenes”. So…yes the control logic is in the Vera, not the Android app…the app just issues items in Vera.
Just like Life4Jesus, I too look to see what is supported by Vera before I embark upon a new task. And treetop777 hit the nail on the head. My main point of my status update was targeted to those that come across this forum in hope to find a product that can fulfill their requirements. The greatness of a product is it’s flexibility, to allow people that want to stay within the well defined limits will easily be able to use the product with little trouble and minimal maintenance…yet allow people that want to push the envelope to do just that. One should always keep in mind that flexibility and complexity are directly proportional.

But to all those that want to stay within the supported devices and have relatively straight forward needs…Vera works great and has little to no maintenance.

I’d like to add…
After all these years of no maintenance, I am now ready to look into some new additional enhancements to my system. So I am currently researching into…

1. will Alexa and Vera play together in the same house
  2. include two heat register (open/close vent) (if I can find a manufacturer)
  3. incorporate a garage door monitor and control
  4. consider purchase of new VeraPlus to achieve 1-3

Let my digging begin :wink:

Life4Jesus,

Sincerely thank you for your excellent suggestions and I will remember! But as far as my comment about your using little VeraPlus software, my opinion hasn’t changed – I’ve designed and coded too many systems/programs over these many years.

And, I’m having WAY too many problems getting my VeraPlus system up and running using the included software.

God Bless. :slight_smile:

I’ve had my Vera 3 for nearly 3 years now. It’s in a property 5.5 hours away. I’m your basic user. I use devices it supports and have always used the default UI’s via the web or my mobile devices. I have to say I’m more than impressed with it’s stamina. The only time I’ve had trouble was with the latest upgrade process. It knocked my system offline which caused much angst because of the distance I am from it. I should never have tried to upgrade not being with the unit. That being said, I called support, told them the issue, they told me I needed to be with the unit to do what needed to be done and since I was not there we actually even set up a call time. They called exactly when they said they would and fixed the issue in about 15 minutes. (I’ve since come up with a way to do what they needed me to do from a remote location so that won’t be an issue anymore). For a product that you just purchase once without a monthly fee I’d have to say, overall… WELL BEYOND MY EXPECTATIONS. I recommend it to everyone who asks me how I’m able to do what I do. I came to the forum before I purchased and even though there are plenty of posts of people having problems the fact that there IS A FORUM of this magnitude for people to come and get help and even expand their knowledge was actually a selling point. Just my 2 cents. :slight_smile:

This post in its entirety is an expression of my opinion.

imazman

Your quote: ?So…yes the control logic is in the Vera, not the Android app…the app just issues items in Vera.? You are absolutely correct, imazman, I used the wrong terminology. I should have said that the Vera Software code fails to branch me TO the PROPER location to execute the needed ?control logic/commands?.

Your method allows you to directly access the requested ?control logic/commands? within Vera. When I use the Vera graphic interface, I must depend upon the ?programmer? (I use the title loosely here) to get me TO the correct ?control logic/commands? location; and for me, that?s NOT happening! I turn lights on with a scene timer, but can?t even get the SAME lights (controller in the same location) to turn off with a subsequent scene timer!

I also agree in your comment in its entirety: ?The greatness of a product is its flexibility …?

HOWEVER, I hasten to add: the first priority must be the offering of a software product that is STABLE and reasonably bug FREE. And on that point you and I (and perhaps a ?few? others) appear to live in two different worlds.

Thus, it appears that your approach may be the solution for me as well !! :smiley:

:frowning: But, what a disappointment – that I must unnecessarily expend this significant additional time and effort to finally get to a functional product. >:(

I used to get “Can’t detect devices” but my dashboard is all green now ;D. I also got an error when trying to modify an existing scene with luup code but know a workaround for that. Overall, I am happy with my Veraplus and considering ordering a VeraSecure :’(

@imazman,

I would strongly suggest in upgrading to the Vera Plus (I’m not affiliated with Vera)
see Vera Model Comparison Chart: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Comparison_of_Vera_units

It basically gives you Zigbee, Bluetooth and better wifi (depending on which model you have). I currently have the Vera Plus, FW:1.7.2414

[quote=“imazman, post:7, topic:195157”]1) will Alexa and Vera play together in the same house
2) include two heat register (open/close vent) (if I can find a manufacturer)
3) incorporate a garage door monitor and control
4) consider purchase of new VeraPlus to achieve 1-3[/quote]

1. Yes, I currently have it working with the Beta Plugin (strongly suggest it) see here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,40391.msg299158.html#msg299158

2. I have seen zwave controlled vents out there (I know, doesn’t help)

3. I went the cheap way and installed the mimolite (I will be changing over to GoControl or NuTone)

4. YES!

[quote=“DennisTheVera, post:8, topic:195157”]Sincerely thank you for your excellent suggestions and I will remember! But as far as my comment about your using little VeraPlus software, my opinion hasn’t changed – I’ve designed and coded too many systems/programs over these many years.

And, I’m having WAY too many problems getting my VeraPlus system up and running using the included software.

God Bless. :)[/quote]

@DennisTheVera,
Yes I try to use LUA/LUUP code a lot, but will use the scenes to control when to start/stop, if this is triggered or not…etc…
I can only hope that this helps, ask Micasverde to reload your device. I know there are so many factors in this and we don’t need to go into them but I think you may have either a bad system or corrupted firmware/OS.

@DennisTheVera
I understand your pain, I just went through it with TabloTV…a small young company with a cool device and a forum just like this. Anyway after working with them (and ranting a bit myself), they got me up and running. I hope you get up and running with Vera.
You said you are having trouble with a scene timer…not sure if it is the same, but I am using a scene timer too. When I get up in the middle of the night and go down stairs, my alarm system motion sensors detect me and turn on a couple lights, they then automatically turn off 30 seconds after motion is not detected. If this is similar to what your are trying to do, I might be able to help you out.

@Jesus4Life
Thanks for the link, i will check it out. I briefly looked at the VeraPlus and I think a lower model, but I think I read a post about a VeraSecure…so I will be checking it out. I thought my vera could do zigbee, but perhaps I’m thinking Insteon. I think my Vera box is light blue…kind of big like the old LinkSys 802.11a routers…it’s been a long time since I even looked at the Vera device :slight_smile: Thanks for the tips of the garage door hardware, my main priority is the vent…but my Alexa Dot is coming in the mail any day now.
I have been thinking about how to upgrade to a VeraPlus…create a whole new account…or use same account. Using a new Vera and a new account would allow me, in event of issues, to fall back to old hardware and account by just plugging in the old device…right? Or would including the switches, outlets, alarm system, etc. into a new system cause them to have wrong ids when/if I attempted to go back to the old system? Would my scenes change? Anyway…I think I say a posting about upgrading…hopefully it considers hardware and not just upgrading a Ui version.

Thank you, imazman . REALLY appreciate your offer: :slight_smile:

“If this is similar to what your are trying to do, I might be able to help you out.”

I literally just ?browsed? onto an alternate UI for UI7 (http://apps.mios.com/plugin.php?id=8246). The comments sound VERY encouraging. For now, I?m directing my energy to learning this new software. In my opinion, it can?t be anything else but an improvement from where I?m at. >:(

@Imazman & @Jezus4live,

wondering if you both still on UI5? Also wondering if you haven many plugins.
My problems started when I ran out od memory, (due to plugins?) , bought a new vera edge on UI7 and copied from UI5.
To me the UI7 is still not stable and having memory leaks…

Sjoerd

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T530 met Tapatalk

[quote=“Sjoerd, post:16, topic:195157”]@Imazman & @Jezus4live,

wondering if you both still on UI5? Also wondering if you haven many plugins.
My problems started when I ran out od memory, (due to plugins?) , bought a new vera edge on UI7 and copied from UI5.
To me the UI7 is still not stable and having memory leaks…

Sjoerd

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T530 met Tapatalk[/quote]

I am running U17 with firmware version 1.7.2414
My plugins count is small and are as follows:

• Netatmo
  • Nest Thermostat and Protect
  • ERGY Plugin
  • Ping Sensor
  • VeraAlerts
  • MultiSwitch
  • EventWatcher
  • GetLog
  • Alternate UI
  • MIMOlite Plugin
  • Magic Home Wifi LED Control
  • Deus Ex Machina II

Some of these were just for testing purposes.

FWIW,
Sorry, just checking in. Yes still on Ui5 and still love my Vera…it has a task it it does the task without problems. Never have to dork with it. Using lights, alarm system, smokes, motions.

Your Vera must be a older unit. I had the Plus with a dozen devices and had nothing but problems.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk