Motion trigger example not working

If you want me to look at this you MUST post a status report.
In fact post two of them:

1. After you do motion … and the light goes on then off normally.
  2. Later when it comes on by itself.

I have attached 4 files.
Look at the names of the files for explanation.
I was moving in the room during the test.
The name of the room is “kok” (kitchen in swedish).

You have the condition that tests if the timer is still running also the same condition that starts the timer. I have a separate condition that starts the timer based on no motion.

I am using the example…
Can you provide a working example that I can use?

Here’s my entire status report. I use Hue lights so I can control each bulb. Depending on time of day or lux reading I change how bright the lights are. I was also tired of the kids turning off the light switch because then I could not control the hue lights. So there is a z-wave switch now. If it gets turned off Vera turns it back on and dims the lights.

Let me know if you want me to just highlight the light control.

There are alot of information in there :slight_smile:
Highlighting is appreciated.

Richard Schaefer: any advice?

Here is some screen clips with comments. The section in yellow is the key.

separate conditions;

1. that turn on the lights based on motion,
  2. test for no motion to starts the timer,
  3. that turns off the lights based on no motion and no timer.

I almost forgot, the order the conditions appear in the list make a difference. So make sure condition that starts the timer is higher in the list than the condition that turns off the lights.

I gave it a try and converted to my devices.
Will it work?

Also, I don’t understand why the original “template/example” doesn’t work (from Simple Motion-Triggered Light example in the PLEGS Basics.pdf).
Should it be used in any other situations/environments?

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:9, topic:195409”]Here is one … there are others…

http://www.homecontrols.com/aeon-labs-aeotec-z-wave-multi-sensor-6[/quote]

Thank you!

[quote=“paros, post:29, topic:195409”]I gave it a try and converted to my devices.
Will it work?

Also, I don’t understand why the original “template/example” doesn’t work (from Simple Motion-Triggered Light example in the PLEGS Basics.pdf).
Should it be used in any other situations/environments?[/quote]

I did not try the example so don’t know how it works. Trial and error is how I got mine working the way I wanted.

did it work? the only difference I see in the logic flow is you have the condition to turn on the lights last and I have it first.

[quote=“FilthyBeast, post:31, topic:195409”][quote=“paros, post:29, topic:195409”]I gave it a try and converted to my devices.
Will it work?

Should it be used in any other situations/environments?[/quote]

I did not try the example so don’t know how it works. Trial and error is how I got mine working the way I wanted.

did it work? the only difference I see in the logic flow is you have the condition to turn on the lights last and I have it first.[/quote]

I have now changed the order. Can you confirm that I am using the same order now?

Looks good to me. Test it and check the status report for time stamps to see if it is working. All of this is based on the time stamps of the these going true or false.

One note: your timer has a default of 2 minutes. Your action to start it overrides that to a 1 minute timer.

[quote=“FilthyBeast, post:33, topic:195409”]Looks good to me. Test it and check the status report for time stamps to see if it is working. All of this is based on the time stamps of the these going true or false.

One note: your timer has a default of 2 minutes. Your action to start it overrides that to a 1 minute timer.[/quote]

[quote=“FilthyBeast, post:33, topic:195409”]Looks good to me. Test it and check the status report for time stamps to see if it is working. All of this is based on the time stamps of the these going true or false.

One note: your timer has a default of 2 minutes. Your action to start it overrides that to a 1 minute timer.[/quote]

I believe that I used the values from your example, should I use something else than 2:00?

What values do you recommend for using the motionsensor in a kitchen. I noted that the minimal time for a motionsensor to stay in “tripped” mode is 10sek.

Also, clarify what does the values do:
S_Kok_Motion_Timer = 2:00
C_Kok_No_Motion AND (C_Kok_No_Motion ; !S_Kok_Motion_Timer>30)
S_Kok_Motion_Timer = 1:00

After no real motion until the sensor reports no motion varies by sensor. I have some cheep ones that take almost 4 minutes and the one I have in the kitchen is very short, about 30 seconds. By watching the time stamp of the motion sensor you’ll be able to tell how long it takes your’s to report no motion.

the schedule setting of “S_Kok_Motion_Timer = 2:00”, this sets the default time the timer will run.

the action that starts the timer with “S_Kok_Motion_Timer = 1:00” this over rides the default and starts a 1 minute timer.

C_Kok_No_Motion AND (C_Kok_No_Motion ; !S_Kok_Motion_Timer>30) becomes true when there is no motion and no motion happened at least 30 seconds before the timer ended.

If you change the action to “S_Kok_Motion_Timer = 3:27” then a timer will be started that will run for 3 minutes 27 seconds.

How long you want the timer to run is up to you. I want it to be very short, so 1 minute 30 seconds after I leave the lights turn off, We don’t have a table in the kitchen and don’t eat there. However if I stand still drinking my coffee in the morning the sensor does not pick up motion and lights will go off. So if your lights are turning off to soon increase the time or if you can increase the sensitivity of the sensor, or even do both.