Most reliable Thermostat

I know this is a loaded question. But, figured I would throw it out there. I am a new Vera3 user. I have lights on the system and they have had no issues with the lighting controllers. But, I have installed a 2GIG TStat and had nothing but issues. From reading the forums. It seems I am not the only one. I am running mine on battery power and was going to attached a C wire when I had a chance. Then I come to find out there is also a known firmware issue with the TStat running on the CWire. And Radio Thermostat recommends disconnecting the Cwire and running on batteries. So, I am stuck. Well, I still have a few days to return the 2Gig. Which I may do and just go with something different. REading the forums…It seems there are even MORE issues with the Honeywell. So, I will stay away from that one. Any other recommendations? Preferably something fairly inexpensive since I will end up purchasing 3 of them to replace all of my tstats.

Thx

Hey, I got the same issue with this t-stat…
However, they are not recommending that you actually run it on batteries, they are \recommending you pair it with vera while on batteries and then re-connect the c-wire.

Flo

The one wire server plug in works well for me. You can go wifi or wired Ethernet

It’s not zwave but talks to Vera ok

Nick

Hmmm…I was not aware I could use a Wifi thermostat to communicate to Vera. That does open up some other possibilities. Part of my problem could be the fact that I do not have a ton of Z Wave devices and a pretty big house. So, a wifi enabled thermostat talking to vera would resolve that. I have wifi coverage everywhere.

The only wifi thermostat that works with Vera is the Filtrete 3M-50. A user in the forum created a plug in to interface with the thermostat.

• Garrett

[quote=“garrettwp, post:5, topic:171710”]The only wifi thermostat that works with Vera is the Filtrete 3M-50. A user in the forum created a plug in to interface with the thermostat.

• Garrett[/quote]

Hi Garrett,
correct me if I am wrong but I think the filtrete and the 2GIG are the same…
Flo

[quote=“frichter09, post:6, topic:171710”][quote=“garrettwp, post:5, topic:171710”]The only wifi thermostat that works with Vera is the Filtrete 3M-50. A user in the forum created a plug in to interface with the thermostat.

• Garrett[/quote]

Hi Garrett,
Flo[/quote]

Both thermostats are made by Radio Thermostat. The 2GIG CT-30 comes with the u-snap zwave radio and the Filtrete CT-50 comes with the u-snap wifi radio. The Filtrete does have more features than the 2GIG. I am currently running one of each of them and the Filtrete with is a much better thermostat.

John

I was just stating that the only wifi (supported) thermostat is the filtrete 3m-50 which requires a 3rd party plugin to function. Vera does not support wifi thermostats out of the box.

• Garrett

The wifi “one wire server” is supported by Chris’s plug in as a thermometer. This has 0.1C resolution and a fast update rate unlike some of the commercial units.

It gives me much better results than an Everspring.

I let Vera decide when to turn heat on and off and use it as a thermometer rather than a thermostat.

This makes it easy to have different temperatures and different times of day and to inhibit the house heating when the outside temperature reaches a certain point regardless of the inside temperature.

Nick

@rodneyat,

Welcome!

Have you considered the Trane’s?

[quote=“oTi@, post:10, topic:171710”]@rodneyat,

Welcome!

Have you considered the Trane’s?[/quote]

Thanks! Trane is actually on my short list too. It was actually at the top of my list until I realized I could use the Filtrete wifi one and still use the Vera. I think it may be the most overall simple and reliable solution for me. Since I have good wifi coverage over my entire house. I think it will work well. The 1-Wire thing is intriguing but not simple. With a wife, kids and other family around. Simple is what I need. 1-wire looks very cool if I really wanted to tinker.

I may stop by Home Depot later today and pickup a Filtrete and give it a shot. I bought the 2gig from Amazon and already put in the return request for that. So, I just have to box it up and send it back. So, tomorrow, I will hook up the CWire and the Filtrete and see how it goes.

[quote=“jwiz, post:7, topic:171710”][quote=“frichter09, post:6, topic:171710”][quote=“garrettwp, post:5, topic:171710”]The only wifi thermostat that works with Vera is the Filtrete 3M-50. A user in the forum created a plug in to interface with the thermostat.

• Garrett[/quote]

Hi Garrett,
Flo[/quote]

Both thermostats are made by Radio Thermostat. The 2GIG CT-30 comes with the u-snap zwave radio and the Filtrete CT-50 comes with the u-snap wifi radio. The Filtrete does have more features than the 2GIG. I am currently running one of each of them and the Filtrete with is a much better thermostat.

John[/quote]

What additional features does it have?
If I only had known this before…

Flo

[quote=“frichter09, post:12, topic:171710”][quote=“jwiz, post:7, topic:171710”][quote=“frichter09, post:6, topic:171710”][quote=“garrettwp, post:5, topic:171710”]The only wifi thermostat that works with Vera is the Filtrete 3M-50. A user in the forum created a plug in to interface with the thermostat.

• Garrett[/quote]

Hi Garrett,
Flo[/quote]

John[/quote]

What additional features does it have?

Flo[/quote]

The main one for me is the auto mode for auto heat/cool. Also with the plug in Vera displays the temperature with the .5 degree like the thermostat does and not rounded up like the zwave thermostats. You also have the ability to control the tstat with there app for IOS and Android which makes a nice backup if Vera goes down and your away. I know there were a few other features that I just can’t think of right now.

John

Thanks John!!

You can also upgrade the firmware which you can’t do on the CT30 unless you add the wifi module

Yes the firmware is upgradeable.

John

I didn’t see wifi on the OP’s wish list… but then again, I didn’t see a wish list.

The CA8900 is as cheap as they come, and I don’t necessarily know what you’re looking for in terms of “reliability” (communication? temperature regulation? accuracy?), but I’ve been running two of them for the better part of a year. They are two of the devices I’ve never had problems with.

They’re not attractive, they don’t have a ton of physical features, but they work really well & do everything I need them to do via Vera.

[quote=“DeltaNu1142, post:17, topic:171710”]I didn’t see wifi on the OP’s wish list… but then again, I didn’t see a wish list.

The CA8900 is as cheap as they come, and I don’t necessarily know what you’re looking for in terms of “reliability” (communication? temperature regulation? accuracy?), but I’ve been running two of them for the better part of a year. They are two of the devices I’ve never had problems with.

They’re not attractive, they don’t have a ton of physical features, but they work really well & do everything I need them to do via Vera.[/quote]

I don’t need a ton of features. Just something simple and reliable.

That said, I did pickup a Filtrete at Home Depot today. It is all up and running now. Setup was a wiz. I wish the 2Gig version was that simple. Anyway, I just installed the plugin and it seems to have been added into Vera now. I have not done a lot of messing with it yet. But, it seems to be working fine, at this point. Hopefully, this will work well and I will buy additional ones to replace my other old thermostats

[quote=“frichter09, post:12, topic:171710”]What additional features does it have?

Flo[/quote]

Other that the ones mentioned by @jwiz, there are a few other features that you get with the 3M-50, that you don’t get with some of the other thermostats (including the Z-Wave ones):

1. Display temperature from any Vera supported temperature sensor as a secondary temperature on the thermostat. (hint: even if you don’t have a physical temperature sensor, you can still use this to display outside temperature using the Weather plugin)
  2. Use any Vera temperature device as the primary temperature sensor for the thermostat - meaning that the thermostat will operate as it it’s internal temperature sensor was directly reading the value from the Vera temperature sensor
  3. Use thermostat API to display messages / control LED’s on the thermostat

Ok this one I did not know about. How do you set that up within your plugin to display the weather plugin temp?

Thanks
John