MiOS Application - early Beta enrollment

how about a different model…
You pay $3 a month for the App/Platform/Cloud and get lets say Ezlo Atom for free and as long as you retain subscription, get another Ezlo Atom after 3 years. So hardware is free.
different subscription points will get different kinds of controllers etc?

Hi @melih
the economic model is different from what we are used to having but interesting, for this to work it would be necessary to transfer the devices and rules from one controller to another easily, quickly and without having to problem (primary and secondary role). If you get there the model will be more than interesting since a brand new controller with the latest technology every three years.
You will still have to look at how much the controller costs and how much the complete solution costs to see the differences

Yes we are turning it upside down, literally, and I think it needs to be done.

100%…hot swappable (almost) controllers where you don’t have to worry about transfer/backup etc…all this should be taken care of for you by the platform!
for $3 a month we can provide Ezlo Atom free with the subscription (the number hasn’t been established yet) and at end of 3 years you get a new controller…don’t need to throw the old one away, just plug this into the network, let them operate together in harmony!

@melih
I am beginning to understand your vision.
Will you offer the same model with EzloPlus and EzloSecure? With motion detector, opening detector and other device starter packs?

Hi,

Android 8.1!

Many of my devices ( mostly tablet ) I use to manage my home automation systems do not meet that. I think that you should be a bit more inclusive.

Every time there is something new, I always have the same question: What is it I am going to loose ?

In that case: A lot, big time.

excellent! thanks.

Yes, but we will allow a huge ecosystem of device manufacturers to continue manufacturing innovative devices. We’ll provide in the main the controller, app, platform/cloud aspect…

But I want a Ezlo Secure, and then why a atom also ?
And 2 valves when they come out.

Won’t I then pay more for HW, and then get an discount in the software ?

Controllers are an important element. In a design, you don’t want to rely on just one controller…Planes have at least two engines, in case one stops working…some has 3 and more…
We have to remove the “reliance” on a single point of failure.
Also depending on the size of your home, multiple controllers will give better performance in our architecture as they will work as one…

That I understand, but not the concept of:

But buy the Ezlo Secure for 299$, and still pay 3$/month

I like the way you think and I am open for new concepts, but the main reason I chose Vera from the beginning was one of their selling points “No monthly fees”. BUT maybe with guaranteed HW up to date I might be tempted…

Whether monthly or annually if you calculate what you pay its about the same…we are shifting so that Software/Cloud team gets a fair representation of the revenue so that they can continue to support and develop everything we need, thats all.

1 Like

Is that the requirement?

That sucks all my wall mounted Amazon Fire 7 tablets are rooted running Android 5 lollipop.

The requirements fro VOI are Android 8.1 also, but it seems to work fine in Android 5 and 6. So maybe Mios App will be fine to.

This sounds like one of those software schemes to get people to over pay for products through monthly subscripts lol

1-Find a manufacturer that will stop charging too much for hardware.
Most hardware manufacture don’t wire their own software. They wire the drives and API for there hardware then pay software developers to write the software which they bund it with their hardware. This is why we see the same code being used on similar hardware all the time.

2-Then create a software team that will take that money left from not charging too much for the hardware for them to develop a software platform that will work with everything.
You want to replace the software developers companies that work for hardware manufacture with MiOS App? This would drop the price of the hardware, instead of paying Peter you would be paying Paul. The thing is different software developers have different expertise in different areas to develop a software platform that will work with everything the total solution would cost a lot more in the end as you would end up paying for software that you didn’t need and may never use.

Its two bad that the MiOS developers don’t let us crowd fund software projects that people want and then sell the apps on the store.

I guess I’ll wait and see where this project goes but at this point it doesn’t sounds that interesting to me. . . . . . . . .

2 Likes

How can paying less overall be overpaying?? its a simple math
A product lifetime/cost of the product. Its less with subscription model.

Hi @melih
yes it costs less overall depending on what you say, but pay every month, for some households do not have a solution, some prefer to buy suddenly because they will have saved as they wanted while the subscription leaves the account every month and therefore becomes a budget.
You can offer several solutions to try to satisfy as many users as possible. the purchase pack, the purchase pack with subscription included for a defined period, the subscription alone.
The sure thing is that habits are stubborn and hard to change.

What you are saying is instead of paying monthly for next 3 years lets say $2 a month someone wants to pay $72 all upfront? Thats not a problem, we have all these payment capabilities.

Indeed…people smoke and don’t give up, although this is killing them…The model in home automation is like smoking, its killing the business model and innovation.

indeed it is a similar view, to come back to the cost / purchase, for my part I prefer to pay for a product and not have a subscription, even if it includes a duration, but I prefer that there have no duration. If I need, I prefer to buy a plugin or other name but what I need not necessarily all the developments, without denigrating the work of all and all. I understand very well the process of supplying money for development but also put yourself on the user side who does not necessarily need everything, I only have zwave at home, why should I participate for zigbee or else I have this equipment and not this one, without bad thoughts I don’t want to offend people.
The choice is difficult in all cases and as they say “the most difficult is to keep it simple”

There inlies the problem. Nothing lasts forever. Software never lasts without update. Home automation needs software update. Home automation to date has been treated like a piece of furniture…you buy and use it till it breaks apart…vs…a software…
Home Automation is becoming more software dependent everyday. Thats why the model has to change.

Not necessarily every month, for the moment nobody manages to do an OTA update on the zwave devices for example, what will it be like to have an update of the box if my devices do not have not changed, my usage has not changed … my needs have not changed. Yes home automation needs to evolve I agree with that, when I see the Vera receiving an annual update when there are new devices and new services it’s a little frustrating but often not necessary if nothing did change in the house. My vision is that home automation is there to help me but I must not depend on it either or restrict myself or force myself to do this or that to keep it working. The future will tell.
Perhaps a survey in the form of a form could see more clearly on the expectations of the users and give an axis, what do you think?
In any case, it’s good to discuss it
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes