MiCasaVerde Vera 2 - how it's working out for me

I bought a MiCasaVerde Vera 2/UI4 on sale last July. It’s very easy to set up and has saved me money by turning off lights that are not being used with a combination of occupation sensors and light switches.

I’m able to turn on the porch light 15 minutes before sunset and turn it off later at bed time. It’s not practical to run a timer here in the Seattle area due to the constant adjustments that have to be made. We have too many dark, cloud covered days to make a photocell work.

Vera 2 sets the lights just the way I want them when I come home so I can find my way to the kitchen and living room with my hands full of groceries. Later on, after dinner, the lights set themselves to a comfortable time watching TV.

When it’s time for the kids to take their shower, the lights flash off and then on again as a gentle bed time reminder. Later on, the lights dim down for bed time.

In the middle of the night, if someone needs to go to the bathroom, there’s no fumbling for the light switches. And, they turn themselves off automatically two minutes after the bathroom is no longer occupied.

In the morning, the porch lights turn on so that kids can find their way to the bus stop. Later, 15 minutes after sunrise, the porch lights are turned off again. When leaving for work, Vera knows to turn off the lights and to manage the thermostat. During cold weather, the thermostat is lowered to turn down the heat and during hot weather the thermostat is raised to prevent the air conditioning from running.

The system integrates with the keyless entry to let the kids in safely after school. No more losing those keys.

My next project is to integrate the fireplace so that it turns on when coming home on cold days and turns off after a couple of hours.

Also, I would like to find a way to set my music and/or favorite TV when I get home. I am also interested in integrating the doorbell as an event into the system. I would like it to gently dim and restore the lights. My hearing is not as good as it used to be. … there are dozens more fun projects waiting for me, I’m sure.

My electric bill … cut down from $140 per month to below $50. I figure the system will pay for itself over three years.

Vera2 (UI4); ACT ZRW113W; GE/Jasco 45602, 45604, 45605, 45606 x4, 45609 x11, 45614; Hawking HRDS1 x2; Intermatic CA9000 x2; Schlage BE369GR, WCE100; Trane TZEMT400AB32MAA

[quote=“kgrr, post:1, topic:169624”]I bought a MiCasaVerde Vera 2/UI4 on sale last July. It’s very easy to set up and has saved me money by turning off lights that are not being used with a combination of occupation sensors and light switches.

I’m able to turn on the porch light 15 minutes before sunset and turn it off later at bed time. It’s not practical to run a timer here in the Seattle area due to the constant adjustments that have to be made. We have too many dark, cloud covered days to make a photocell work.

Vera 2 sets the lights just the way I want them when I come home so I can find my way to the kitchen and living room with my hands full of groceries. Later on, after dinner, the lights set themselves to a comfortable time watching TV.

When it’s time for the kids to take their shower, the lights flash off and then on again as a gentle bed time reminder. Later on, the lights dim down for bed time.

In the middle of the night, if someone needs to go to the bathroom, there’s no fumbling for the light switches. And, they turn themselves off automatically two minutes after the bathroom is no longer occupied.

In the morning, the porch lights turn on so that kids can find their way to the bus stop. Later, 15 minutes after sunrise, the porch lights are turned off again. When leaving for work, Vera knows to turn off the lights and to manage the thermostat. During cold weather, the thermostat is lowered to turn down the heat and during hot weather the thermostat is raised to prevent the air conditioning from running.

The system integrates with the keyless entry to let the kids in safely after school. No more losing those keys.

My next project is to integrate the fireplace so that it turns on when coming home on cold days and turns off after a couple of hours.

Also, I would like to find a way to set my music and/or favorite TV when I get home. I am also interested in integrating the doorbell as an event into the system. I would like it to gently dim and restore the lights. My hearing is not as good as it used to be. … there are dozens more fun projects waiting for me, I’m sure.

My electric bill … cut down from $140 per month to below $50. I figure the system will pay for itself over three years.

Im happy for you dude wish I could say the same Ive had nothing but problems every step of the way. Including devices that arent compatible or have the wrong drivers or just only partially work. but I am talking about IP cameras and sensors which can be tricky.

when I see that promo video on the vera site I really have to laugh!! Just ventilng alot of frustration at the moment but couldnt recommend this product to my customers at present but Im still working on it ( ie to try to get it to work)

Vera2 (UI4); ACT ZRW113W; GE/Jasco 45602, 45604, 45605, 45606 x4, 45609 x11, 45614; Hawking HRDS1 x2; Intermatic CA9000 x2; Schlage BE369GR, WCE100; Trane TZEMT400AB32MAA[/quote]

PeterD,
Perhaps I paint a real glass is mostly full picture rather than the glass is not full picture. With my previous controller sensors were impossible to implement and IP cameras were limited to one brand only. With Vera, I’ve had some challenges, but it’s by no means a disaster. I don’t have to pay a monthly fee and have to have the Internet up to manage my own house controls.

I’m finding that pretty much everything I had with the Schlage-Link Bridge system (Schlage door lock, Trane Thermostat, GE/Jasco dimmers, appliance switches, appliance dimmers, outdoor switch modules, etc.) all nicely integrated. I even got my Android phone to talk to Vera using the Home Buddy app, “right out of the box”. Some concepts such as events and schedules did not transfer over easily and involved some new (re)learning. I have also downloaded some of the plug-ins and they’ve worked well for me.

I have yet to fool with the Schlage IP camera. It’s built not to be compatible and needs a new firmware load. I also have been integrating window sensors, occupancy sensors, GE/Jasco remote controls, etc. Some of these devices are a bit tricky. Each one has been a learning experience. I’ve been posting on this forum my successes, cool solutions and, yes, my questions about things I don’t understand. So far, I have looked at several friend’s Zwave installations with other controllers. I must say, so far, Vera has been a very good value. It’s been pretty much out of the box, advanced enough to solve some of the things I want to do (like sensors for windows, doors, garage, water, doorbell, IP cameras, music and TV entertainment integration, automatic shades, fire alarm integration, etc.) I have looked at more complicated PC-based controllers where you need to be considering getting a BS in Computer Science to run them and ones that don’t perform and are intended to be cash-extraction devices, not real controllers.

I would love to hear more about your challenges. Do you have any posts up regarding the situations?
kgrr

Vera2 (1.1.1350, UI4); ACT ZRW113W; GE/Jasco 45600, 45602, 45604, 45605 x3, 45606 x4, 45609 x11, 45614; Hawking HRDS1 x3; Intermatic CA9000 x2; Schlage BE369GR, WCE100; Trane TZEMT400AB32MAA