Made My Vera Stable using Home Assistant (This is AWESOME!)

As the author of PLEG I will add my 2cents about Home Assistant.
They have recently released a concept called Blueprints. This is something I wanted to do with PLEG.
Basicall you code up all the details of an automation (complicated logic) and then just bind it to
to your actual devices (inputs and outputs).

There are a few things that Home Assistant did not have that I wanted for my automation … but I have started making released to their platform … and expext in a month or so that their Blueprints will be much more capable then PLEG. And sharable to others so yo use the Blueprint … you just customize it with the GUI to select your inputs and outputs. Leave the details to the Blueprint developers.

1 Like

Interesting idea, I’m not using Home Assistant yet, I see they have lots of forum posts tagged with “blueprint”.

However I think by the time you have searched through them all and found a blueprint / automation template you are looking for to suit your requirements, you probably could of just created your own automation from scratch. Well I could of in PLEG or Reactor in quick time.

Good for getting ideas for automations though, I expect reading those threads.

I thought most Home Assistant users used Node-Red for their Automations?

Multi System Reactor supports Home Assistant so I’d use that I think.

I read this thread a few months ago and have recently acted on it. My Vera started behaving erratically, in particular refusing to send http commands as luup. I used these to put my Synology surveillance station into Away mode (I.e. to turn on motion detection for my IP cameras). SS and Vera worked well together - I could exchange POST commands back and forth to create a good integrated home security setup.

But then the luup just stopped working. After many hours of checking, rebooting, and re-writing the code and scenes without any success I gave up and installed Home Assistant on the Synology. I use Node Red to manage my automation, and it generally works well. The Vera acts as a zwave hub, but I still need it to initiate Home or Away status, via a Remotec scene controller. And this is the latest problem. I need a unit by the door for my family to press a button to turn the home security on and off. The Remotec performed this function as well as controlling lights etc. But unfortunately HA does not recognise any attributes for the Remotec scene controller so I cannot use it to trigger a Node Red flow.

It does work still in Vera, but randomly with HA. For example it will link to a scene to turn on a switch, but HA will not pick up on the switch status change. If however I run the scene directly from Vera then HA does acknowledge the status change to the switch and will run the associated flow. Strange!

So my conclusion is that I need an HA entity such as a switch or keypad or scene controller that will either integrate independently of Vera or will
Integrate through Vera and pass on all its attributes to HA so that it can initiate a Node Red flow. Does anyone have any suggestions?

PS I don’t know how to code etc so have pretty limited skills, other than what I have had to learn getting the above setup in place