looking for a wall switch recommendation

OK, total newbie here, slowly getting up to speed with my VeraLite and Z-Wave in general. I’m looking for a switch like the following:

It has two pressable areas; these can be big buttons, or a springy rocker-style switch that returns to center after you press it. When you press the top one, the light turns on. When you press the bottom one, it turns off. (And all this goes through the Z-wave system so that I can also control the lights in other ways, turning one light on can trigger others, etc.)

I know that a lot of people like the Aeon micro switch, and it’s pretty neat, but it means that the state of the switch (up or down) has nothing to do with the state of the light (on/off). From a UI perspective, we’d be better off with a single toggle button at that point. But I’d rather have two, as described above, so that manipulating the switch in a certain way always produces a certain result.

Does such a switch exist? Or is there some standard (non-Zwave) switch that can be altered and somehow hooked into to accomplish this?

I use the TKB switch which us available in switch or dimmer, single or double paddle. The only disadvantage is that it does not have instant updating.
Apart from that you can operate a rocker switch which returns to centre to turn on off lights and if you have a double paddle version the second paddle can be associated with other devices. This makes it good for two or three way switching.

I have a house full and they are fine for me as long as you are happy without instant updates.

Sorry for the dumb question, but can you explain what “instant updating” means, and how it affects life in general?

Many thanks…

• Joe

Without instant updating, when you manually operate a switch it will operate the light instanstantly but it will not tell vera what it has done. It will wait untill vera polls it to tell it the status. This means that if you use a scene driven by the switch status there can be a delay while you wait for vera to see that the light status is recognised.
With instant update vera knows immediately you operate the switch and any scenes will run immediately.

Unfortunately, i could not find switches as you describe that also have instant update.

Lookup Lutron patent

Thanks, that clears it up for me. I think I can live without instant updating.

My wife is not loving the form factor of the TKB switches, though. Any idea where I could find a return-to-center rocker switch?

Have a look at these. Modern euro styling.

http://www.qubino.com.au/index.php?route=product/category&path=62_67

Also available with big buttons!

Hmm, it’s hard to be sure from that video, but it doesn’t look like these return to center. They appear to be either up or down, like any other rocker switch.

What about this Kichler Wall Dimmer? It appears to be two buttons that are normally held to dim lights up/down. But can I (through clever use of Vera) program it so that a press on the top part turns a light full on, and a press on the bottom part switches it off?

EDIT: Upon further reading, it appears that they work this way already; a quick tap to switch on/off, or hold to dim. I think this is exactly what I’ve been looking for!

Joe,

1. The TKB switches are return to centre paddle switches which when you think about it they must be. On the double paddle switches i use (via association) single press on the RH paddle to turn on/off one table lamp and a double press to turn on/off a different lamp. You can even use the second paddle to control a dimmer even when this switch is not a dimmer.

2. Be careful saying that you do not need instant updating. I use the turning on of a bathroom light to turn on a fan after a delay. This uses scenes but it relies on vera seeing that the switch has been manually turned on. With my settings this normally is very quick but be warned that there can be a delay. If you are careful you can limit the delay and if it is to operate a timer a short delay probably does not matter.

Note that TBK and most others are 3 wire and need neutrals.

Thanks, I feel like it’s all starting to click into place.

Is there an instant-updating rocker switch that you would recommend? (This is the sort of detail that seems to be frustratingly absent on the marketing materials!)

[quote=“JoeStrout, post:10, topic:187941”]Thanks, I feel like it’s all starting to click into place.

Is there an instant-updating rocker switch that you would recommend? (This is the sort of detail that seems to be frustratingly absent on the marketing materials!)[/quote]

Lutron holds the patent on instant status. So if money is not an object and you want true instant status then there you go. Some others pay to use it. Leviton are highly spoken of switches.
Personally between 3 houses and 3 veras I have probley 120 plus light switches among a bunch of other devices. I have went with 30.00 GE (lowes) light switches in about 95% of my installs. I have used Leviton where I needed the extra functions.

All my GE switches report instant status except in 3way switches on the aux switch.

I would recommend testing and trying a few switches and using only what you need unless you just want the top of the line everywhere. I just can’t afford or justify it in my install, but many can.

[quote=“JoeStrout, post:10, topic:187941”]Thanks, I feel like it’s all starting to click into place.

Is there an instant-updating rocker switch that you would recommend? (This is the sort of detail that seems to be frustratingly absent on the marketing materials!)[/quote]

I agree about the lack of 3 position (spring to centre off) rocker switches. I am surprised there are not more on the market. WAF depends a lot on having switches that work the same way as standard switches. A simple 2 position (spring to off) is okay for a simple switch which goes from off to on or vice versa but is not so intuitive for dimmers which have on, off, dim up and dim down. Read the operational details of whatever you choose.
Keep us informed how you choose.

There are different types available, best to refer to the online catelog

for a complete listing.

Hello everyone,
I’m designing the home automation system for a residential house for the first time. The house is under construction but they have already installed 3’’ * 3’’ * 1.5’’ metal switch boxes. I wonder if I still have any option other than in-wall modules for lights switching?
If anyone has any recommendation for that small sized z-wave switches/dimmers then please do tell me. Thanks!

^^^

That is really going to depend on which part of the world you’re located.