Load Level not always setting brightness correctly

I’m using the basic PLEG that is the first example in Richard’s PDF (page 24), the one that turns on a light after motion and turns it back off in XX minutes unless there is continued motion. It’s working as expected except for the LoadLevelTarget. About half the time the light will come on @ 8% brightness rather than the 50% that I have set in the PLEG. And each time it’s wrong it’s 8% nothing else. Status attached.

Any thoughts…?

Seems like the level is only set wrongly the first time the scene is executed after the day/night test goes true, say due to sunset just taking place. Typically I have been manually increasing the brightness via the Vera web interface, then all subsequent triggers set the level correctly. I’m at a loss as to why it’s not setting load level correctly.

Did you try sending the command twice … It might be that the fist one turns the device on, and in doing so it reverts to some previous or predefined state.
This may be an issue for that specific device.

I will try that tonight…

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:3, topic:189723”]Did you try sending the command twice … It might be that the fist one turns the device on, and in doing so it reverts to some previous or predefined state.
This may be an issue for that specific device.[/quote]

Sending the command a 2nd time (1st via the motion trigger, 2nd time via the “do it now” button on the actions tab. The motion triggered event set the light at 8%, the manual action caused the light to go to the right load (50%). I can then allow the light to turn off due to no motion and trigger it again with motion and it will hit 50% correctly. It seems it’s only the first execute after Day becomes Night.

I may have just killed the thought that it only sets wrong when it the first trigger after it goes to Night. I used the buttons on the Day Night plugin to toggle between day and night and test the PLEG, I could not get it to set load level wrongly that way, every trigger was at 50%. Yet every night when I first walk into that room the lights come on at 8%.

So this is my first PLEG use and so far I’m rather disappointed. I had time this weekend to do some additional testing and it’s very clear that it’s the PLEG itself that is causing the initial wrong ramp level. Richard S suggested that it could actually be something strange with the device itself so I set the target device to a totally different device, not just another device of the same type but a completely different type device and got the same exact results.

Once again, the first motion trigger after sunset puts the ramp level @ 8% rather than the 50% that is stated in the PLEG. And 8% is never the previous level of that light. If I then manually execute the ON action from within the PLEG it fires correctly to 50% and all subsequent triggers work correctly ALL NIGHT LONG. Even early the next morning, before sunrise it fires correctly @ 50%.

Last night had another weird thing take place. We had a bunch of people in that room, including two active young children so there was significantly more motion than would normally be present with just my wife and I in the room. Three times last night the light would simply go out despite the fact that there was constant motion in that room.

I had been hopeful that learning PLEG would allow me to take the next step in automation but so far I’m struggling with my very first attempt.

Do you have some direct association between the motion detector and the light ?

To check … unplug Vera while the light is off … Walk into the room … does the Light come On ?

I have never used the associations feature of Vera, so no…!

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:8, topic:189723”]Do you have some direct association between the motion detector and the light ?

To check … unplug Vera while the light is off … Walk into the room … does the Light come On ?[/quote]

OK egg on face…!

I found the cause of the 8% load level issue, have a scene that runs at sunset turning on a few specialty lights around to house just for effect. I somehow had this light in there too set at (guess what) 8% brightness. I clearly do not recall adding that light to the scene but once removed all is working now.

That’s a minor problem with scenes.

There is not something like the PLEG report hat lets you easily see all of your logic in one place and how it interacts with other devices.

I have only two scene.

1. All Lights On
  2. All Lights Off

They know about ZWave devices that are directly controlling lights.

The all off I call twice a day … At 2:30 and 9:30 am