Linking MiOS with IFTTT

Thinking out loud here…

One of the nucleation centres for the Internet of Things is If This Then That (IFTTT), http://ifttt.com/.

It seems natural to me that MiOS should get on this bandwagon. For the Internet of Things, MiOS is already ahead of the pack in a lot of ways. But MiOS is an island ecosystem.

Even just one Action (Launch a scene on Vera) would be immensely helpful. It’d allow Vera to react to events from the outside. “If I get an email with subject ‘turn on air conditioning’, run the ‘turn on air conditioning’ scene.” “If the temperature goes over 40?, run the ‘close blinds’ scene.” “When my Google Calendar has an event tagged ‘holiday’, run the ‘sleep in’ scene.”

Running a scene on your Vera remotely is just a matter of creating a specialized control point. A couple of well-documented HTTP calls and the scene runs. Easy.

Trouble is, registering an API with IFTTT has to be done by the owner of the API. MCV, I’d like to help. With your blessing, I could liaise with IFTTT and get a MiOS channel.

Who’s with me?

+1!

I totally agree. I’ve been using IFTTT the other way, Vera sending an email to an address I’m exclusively usign with IFTTT to trigger IFTTT events and so on. Would be great if we had 2-way communication and better integration!

One thought, (in case MCV doesn’t show interest) is the development of an IFTTT plugin with an “API”. In such a case, @futzle (or whoever develops the plugin) would actually be the API owner, and probably can register with IFTTT.

I am in on this proposal as well. Let me know if any help is needed.

• Garrett

I like the idea. I’ll propose this to people who have a say in this.

Similar matter has already been discussed at yahoo answers. I can post the link if needed

This is Very Cool… Just signed up.

More information would be appreciated. However not sure why something like this would be on yahoo answers.

• Garrett

do it. +1

Agreed, this sounds like a great idea. I’ve given Florin the go-ahead to work on this and to work with the community to be sure it gets done in the best way.

@Futzle… Please keep thinking out loud because your voice is hitting the right note.

very exciting news, looking forward to this ;D

Glad this got approved! Futzle, let me know if you need any help.

• Garrett

I don’t think that the IFTTT integration needs to be very deep to get a lot of benefit. The following may be all that is needed.

Actions:

• Run a scene on the MiOS device.

This would let Vera react to events in the outside world. This action wouldn’t require any retooling of anything on the mios.com side, unless MCV wanted to add in some access-control logic to restrict IFTTT to only certain scenes.

Triggers:

• Notification triggered on the MiOS device.

Essentially this would be equivalent to what can be selected on the “Triggers” tab while editing a scene. This would let Vera inform IFTTT of local happenings, such as a sensor tripping, or a security system arming/disarming, or of a switch (real or virtual) changing state. This allows Vera to affect the outside world, such as posting to Twitter or sending a Boxcar notification. I imagine that the work MCV has already done to generalize notifications will pay off here, because informing IFTTT of a state change is really just a specialized kind of notification.

There are probably some more specialized kinds of actions and triggers, say, movement detected by a motion-sensing camera (with the corresponding image as an ingredient), useful to send to DropBox or an email. But those can come later IMO.

While I appreciate the simplicity and the step by step approach, please keep in mind other possibilities from the get go so when it comes time for additional functionality a gut renovation of the code isn’t required. For example, there are Google Voice and phone channels. Imagine turning the ringer of your phone off and having Vera alerts simply tell you who’s calling… Phone integration is something the competition has had sewn up for a long time.

Hello distinguished forum members. I am new to the Forum, but have been following for a year or so and currently have a Vera3 and approximately 45 devices installed from numerous light
switches, dimmers, outlets, minimote, Fortrezz alarms, IP cameras, SQBlaster and others. Have HomeBuddy, just installed AuthomationHD (really like it so far Garrett), on couple Samsung Smartphones and couple Toshiba Thrive Tablets (wall-mounted around the house). Have SQ Remote HD on IPhone 5 and IPad 3 both running IOS6. Also, have HTPC’s in each room of the house attached to HDTV’s running UI5 and use the SQ Blaster to run my Home Theater. Sorry for the long introduction.

My question is I have a VeraLite with some basic Zwave devices (lights, outlets, minimote and Fortrezz Alarm and IP Camera) at my mother’s home 60 miles away. I have installed the Alarm and set-up an “Emergency Scene” that sets off the Fortrezz Alarm and SMS messages me. Does anyone know of a way I can set my Mothers VeraLite to Activate a “Scene” on My Vera3 (my Fortrezz Alarm(s), lights, etc.). I sense that there are a number of pretty sharp programmers, electronic, technical types here on the Forum. I read the IFTTT topic and was wondering if anyone might have something readily available. Also, I am administrator on both Vera’s.

Have equipment, willing to acquire more and ready to test and share results if anyone has a solution.

Looking forward to being a part of the Forum.

Mark

You can continue this conversation on this topic, which is very relevant to your problem.

Edit: fixed link

Thanks for your reply Futzle.

"You can continue this conversation on this topic, which is very relevant to your problem"

Am I correct to assume that there may be no capability, currently, and the IFTTT could be “A” or “THE” method of performing inter-Vera communications, scene activations, etc.

If so, I am very interested in the IFTTT development.

Thanks Again.

Mark

I was searching the Wiki and Forum regarding the IFTTT concept and ran across Strangley’s comment in the “Wireless Sensor Tag System Topic”
and the ability to send a URL command to Vera to activate a ‘Scene’.

https://fwd2.mios.com///<vera_serial#>/data_request?id=lu_action&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1&action=RunScene&SceneNum=X

I set this up through my browser and ran my “Alarm Emergency Scene” on my Vera, and it worked, as well as numerous other scenes I tested.

My question, not to hijack this thread but hoping that someone might have done this before, is there a way to “code via LUA/LUUP” a “Scene” on another Vera to run my “Alarm Emergency Scene” on my Vera using the defined URL command.

Thanks Mark

[quote=“mwp, post:18, topic:173975”]I was searching the Wiki and Forum regarding the IFTTT concept and ran across Strangley’s comment in the “Wireless Sensor Tag System Topic”
and the ability to send a URL command to Vera to activate a ‘Scene’.

https://fwd2.mios.com///<vera_serial#>/data_request?id=lu_action&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1&action=RunScene&SceneNum=X

I set this up through my browser and ran my “Alarm Emergency Scene” on my Vera, and it worked, as well as numerous other scenes I tested.

My question, not to hijack this thread but hoping that someone might have done this before, is there a way to “code via LUA/LUUP” a “Scene” on another Vera to run my “Alarm Emergency Scene” on my Vera using the defined URL command.

Thanks Mark[/quote]
It would be similar to this:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11130.msg79314.html#msg79314

Just change it to initiate a scene, similar to how you do it locally. The “//****” are your “//<unit_number>”

More info on that here: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/UI_Simple#Mode_1:_Basic_setup_and_locating_the_engine

PurdueGuy and Futzle and Strangely ------Thanks a Million----

I setup the URL Command and it works GREAT…

local username = “username” – Your MiOS username.
local password = “password” – Your MiOS password.
local vera_serial = “serial_#” – The serial # of Vera.

luup.inet.wget("https://fwd2.mios.com/“username/“password”/“serial_#”/data_request?id=lu_action&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1&action=RunScene&SceneNum=#”)

Now when my Mother/Grandmother need assistance, I have a “Minimote” configured so they press the labeled “Emergency ON” and it turns ON All House Lights and Activates a Fortrezz SSA1 Siren ---- then via the above LUA/LUUP code it Activates MY VERA3 “Emergency ON” Scene and SMS Message at my home and smartphone which includes a Fortress SSA1 and SSA3.

I knew there was some great technical people on this sight…THANKS AGAIN.

Still looking forward to the IFTTT.